[1/31] Bateson Reading Group - Video Dialogue - Week 4

Originally published at: https://www.metapsychosis.com/events/bateson-reading-group-2019-01-31/

Bateson Reading Group - Video Dialogue - Week 4
Gregory Bateson Steps to an Ecology of Mind
Nora Bateson Smaller Arcs of Larger Circles
Session #4:

Readers Underground participants:

Geoffrey Edwards
Johnny Davis
Adam Waterhouse
Ryan Dexter
Douglas Duff

Recorded 31 January 2019

Reading discussed this week:

Gregory Bateson: Metalogue: Why do Frenchmen? and Morale and National Character
Nora Bateson: Identity with an I (poem) and We are wine (poem)

Ryan Dexter introduces the reading to be discussed in week 4, honing in on national and international relations, individuals organized in communities; language as a ballet of gestures; evolving grammar. Ryan also elaborates upon telepresence as weaving memory + engagement + immersion.

The discussion ranges from personal anecdotes to cultural polarities; the law of the excluded middle and coordinating rhythms; responses to our ecological situation with out-of-this-world solutions vs grounded in Earth creativity.

Video Conference Link: https://zoom.us/j/529874104

The Bateson Reading Group is a weekly series of virtual meetings, conducted via Zoom video conference, with accompanying discussion in the Readers Underground forum channel @ Infinite Conversations.

New members: Sign up for this group to learn how to participate.

Current members: please let the organizer (@Geoffrey_Edwards) know if you would like to join.

Reading Schedule

Legend : GB=Gregory Bateson’s “Steps to an Ecology of Mind” ; NB=Nora Bateson’s “Small Arcs of Larger Circles”

Week 4

GB: Metalogue : Why do Frenchmen?
GB: Moral and National Character
NB: Identity with an I (poem)
NB: We are wine (poem)

2 Likes

@Geoffrey_Edwards @Douggins @johnnydavis54 @dexterr I’m really sorry but I’m stuck in work today and am sad to say that I won’t be able to make the live discussion. I look forward to watching the video back this evening though and hearing your insights, including Ryan’s intro!

2 Likes

Thanks for letting us know, Lucy. I read up on the Turner stuff on the liminal and the liminoid. Thanks for that tip. Have a good week.

1 Like

Bateson Reading Group - Video Dialogue - Week 4
Gregory Bateson Steps to an Ecology of Mind
Nora Bateson Smaller Arcs of Larger Circles
Session #4:

Readers Underground participants:

Geoffrey Edwards
Johnny Davis
Adam Waterhouse
Ryan Dexter
Douglas Duff

Recorded 31 January 2019

Reading discussed this week:

Gregory Bateson: Metalogue: Why do Frenchmen? and Morale and National Character
Nora Bateson: Identity with an I (poem) and We are wine (poem)

Ryan Dexter introduces the reading to be discussed in week 4, honing in on national and international relations, individuals organized in communities; language as a ballet of gestures; evolving grammar. Ryan also elaborates upon telepresence as weaving memory + engagement + immersion.

The discussion ranges from personal anecdotes to cultural polarities; the law of the excluded middle and coordinating rhythms; responses to our ecological situation with out-of-this-world solutions vs grounded in Earth creativity.

Notes

• New Participant Adam Waterhouse @AdamNextGen: London resident; business analyst by day; studying Social Work; connected to Bateson via Holochain friend Eric Harris -Braun and interest in cybernetics; overlaps with political interests (Palestinian rights/media biases)

References

• Edward Hall - Hidden Dimensions
  • GB - Mind and Nature
  • Leo Tolstoy -Resurrection
  • Barbara Marx Hubbard - Conscious Evolution: Awakening Our Social Potential
  • Bruno Latour - Down to Earth
  • Chris Hedges - Empire of Delusion
  • Arthur Koestler - The Ghost in the Machine
  • Peter Harries-Jones - Upside-Down Gods
  • Brian Massumi & Erin Manning
  • Whitehead (conncretion)

General Outline

• Ryan Introduction
    1 - Notes the meta-weave of Week 4’s readings …let’s enter the weave
    2 - dynamics of GB’s national and international; individual and organized communities; complementary and symmetrical + NB’s initiating the reader to international rhythms
    3 - NB’s evolving grammar to meet with the ecologies of the self; need plural language; false nationalism
    4 - Telepresence - memory + engagement + immersion

• cultural polarities of GB vs Edward Hall; center, periphery, spaces between

• the para message; the excluded middle; responding to liminal zones

• people are like a river (Tolstoy); orienting generalizations (Wilber)

How do we coordinate our rhythms?

poetic interlude:

Law of excluded middle neglects the muddle
The muddied puddle we find ourselves in
Yet we include a little liminal
The beginning, end, and middle
True or false lost when amongst friends

11:23 - What would GB’s response be to this post-truth era?

• liminal logic/leadership; no leader, message in the pattern that connects
  • second order culture
  • out-of-this world Trump vs grounded in Anthro-/enviro-
  • West vs East relationship with space
  • power of language; invention of words
  • affective gesture
1 Like

I’m not sure about post-truth, but I imagine he would appreciate the idea of a Post-Money World. He thought the analogue ( gesture, tone) are infinitely richer than the digital. The opposite of the false is not necessarily the truth. There is something in between that the body is aware of.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.