A Gebserian Synchronicity

I just have to share this, because it’s toooo weird/interesting/magic.

So, the other day I was perusing the psychology section of the used book selection in the Goodwill next to my house. My eyes happened upon a anthology of essays about Shadow: “Meeting the Shadow.” As I mentioned in a different post, I’ve been engaging pretty deeply in shadow work over the last year or so. So, picking it up and flipping through the book, I landed on an essay by Georg Feuerstein: “The Shadow of the Enlightened Guru.”

Reading over it, I was thoroughly impressed. It expressed, more eloquently than I have been able to, an idea I’ve been trying to articulate for a while: that ‘enlightenment’ doesn’t equate to ‘psychological health;’ gurus still have personalities, and those personalities can have shadows. I didn’t want to buy the book, but I saved the author and essay title for later investigation.

Here is the first synchronicity. Feuerstein’s wikipedia page, informed me that Wilber considers him “Gebser’s foremost American interpreter.” That’s a interesting coincidence.

It gets stranger. I read this right after I finished the section in EoP that is talking about Jung’s concept of synchronicity. Finishing my reading early today, I took a look at a tab I’ve had open on my browser clarifying the meaning of Systasis & Synairesis (I’ve been having trouble with the concepts). And, mind you, this was open before my trip to Goodwill, but, the article (which happens to be written by @achronon) quotes Feuerstein.

Anyway, magic at play…all the while, mental/rational, attempts to explain it away. :slightly_smiling:

4 Likes

Great little story. I can tell you that my experience has been just this: when you seriously ask a question, the answer will find you, and nothing can stop it once it’s on its way.

I have that book on Shadow, @wwjimd. I’m pretty sure I found it in the basement of the public library, where they give away all the books they can’t stock or sell in fundraising sales. A dump of mostly old computer manuals in the back of a municipal basement, is the free section—in the shadows, if you will.

Wonderful, too, to see @achronon’s post on Systasis and Synairesis (which I also need clarification on)…which just happens to have a comment from Peter on it; written almost 3 years ago.

Constellations of intensities; tiny geometries of meaning.

1 Like

I have that book on Meeting the Shadow too. brilliant~
you have read Feurstein’s work on Gebser, yes?

Nope…that’s one of the reasons why the synchronicity was so interesting. Have you read his work?

2 Likes

Who is Peter? Is he reading with us?

Peter Weston - Adjunct Professor of Math, UMass

He’s the gentleman with the scratchy, old mic. He wants to take away something to teach his students.

Ah. Right! Thanks @Oliver_Rabinovitch ! I love this guy!

1 Like

Me too. :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

yes. i have. I was inspired to read his work after reading Thompson’s work. The work on Rilke and Gebser comes initially from Feuerstein’s work as well.