And then it gets Weirder...

Perhaps I am just being obtuse, but when I read this, it felt like you were including me in the “we”. As if I had a “heaven” in my understanding of the spirit. All I ask is that you use a little more circumspection in what you say, If I were to say something like this, I would have said, “I think that the reason why we get into difficulty over this is because those of us who believe in God project into eternity the attitudes or relationships of time…” or “I think that the reason why we get into difficulty over this is because, regardless of our particular religious beliefs, we tend to project into eternity the attitudes or relationships of time…” These are inclusive framings that recognize difference - yours does not. I am sorry if you interpret this as prejudice (I do not believe it is but I am willing to be corrected if you can make a case for it) or as any kind of accusation of your character, it is not. All I am asking is for some sensitivity towards others who do not hold similar beliefs. And lest you say I am picking on a particular phrasing and you didn’t mean it that way (which may well be true), it is not the only example, just a representative one.

For the rest, I was only trying to suggest that I enjoy your contributions for the most part, over and above the issue I am raising above. Perhaps part of my problem is that I have had “Christian ideas” imposed upon me before and I am allergic to the practice (and note that I am not asserting you are doing this in any provocative or intentional way) - that is no fault of yours, and it is the reason I hesitated for a long time before speaking out.

As for “Donner”, I have no idea what you are talking about. I looked the name up on the web, but I have no clearer idea having done so than before making the attempt. I live and work in Canada and have no real understanding of US culture beyond the obvious things. Do you mean to imply that I am a closet conservative? First time in life I have ever been accused of that, if that is what you mean… But I’m not sure what the reference is, so I probably shouldn’t jump to conclusions.

2 Likes