Bateson Reading Group - Video Dialogue - Week 10

event
bateson

(Geoffrey Edwards) #1

Originally published at: https://www.metapsychosis.com/events/bateson-reading-group-2019-03-14/

Zoom ID : 529874104

Gregory Bateson, Steps to an Ecology of Mind
Nora Bateson, Smaller Arcs of Larger Circles

Session #10:

Reading Discussed:

GB: Metalogue : How Much Do You Know?
GB: Social Planning and the Concept of Deutero-Learning
GB: Double Bind

NB: Therapy (poem)
NB: Zombies and the Hitchhiker (or Context Produces Possibility)

(Adam Waterhouse) #2

Some links about Holochain and related projects as promised:

The first thing of which to be aware is that Holochain is not a stand-along projects but is associated with multiple other projects - Holo (a cryptocurrency that runs on Holochain), CEPTR and The MetaCurrency Project, which is the “mother project.” Think of it as four levels of nested holons:

Holo is a part of Holochain

Holchain is part of CEPTR

CEPTR is part of of The MetaCurrency Project
Holo and Holochain are where all of the attention is at right now because they’ve decided to kickstart the whole project by focusing on that first (aka "bootstrapping) and are doing very well, but their vision is much bigger and broader. IMO the MetaCurrency Project website is the best place to start if you want to get a sense of their broad social mission, and from there you can just go wherever you feel drawn. In the list below I also include websites of the two co-founders - Eric and Arthur, and a core team member - Jean Russell.

The Metacurrency Project

CEPTR

Holochain

Holo

Personal website of Arthur Brock

Personal website of Eric Harris-Braun

Thrivability - Catalyzing a World that Thrives - website of Jean Russell

Cultivating Flows - website to accompany the book of Herman Wagter and Jean Russell

Half hour interview with Arthur Brock

One hour interview with Matthew Shutte

(Marco V Morelli) #3

Hi @AdamNextGen, I heard your introduction on one of the previous Bateson calls and have been meaning to say hi! I would love to catch up and talk further about Holochain. I attended (as a non-coder) a hackathon last year, and I also ordered a Holoport and bought in to the ICO (where C=“Community,” not “Coin”). I/we (including @care_save) have been thinking that we could create a community currency for Cosmos—potentially using Holochain—which could also facilitate various other platform-level functions.

In fact, we hosted a Cosmos Café with Raymond Powell, on a Holochain related project, last summer: CoGov.tech – The Digital Co-Governance Web [CCafe 8/7]

I appreciate the study you are all making of the Bateson, and though I haven’t been able to participate, I feel that I will probably circle around to the readings and recordings, when I have the time to absorb and appreciate them. I am also curious about how an ‘ecology of mind’ relates to Holochain, and how the latter came up in the context of this group… I suppose I could go to the videotape for that. :smile:

(Adam Waterhouse) #4

Hey @Marco V Morelli,

thanks for reaching out! I’m fortunate enough to know and have had contact with some of the fine folk within Holochain, but I’m not really qualified to answer questions. Of course I’d be happy to have a chat with you anyway, but for that specific purpose it probably makes more sense for me to put you in contact with someone who can help you with the answers you need. What do you think?

Best,

Adam

(Marco V Morelli) #5

Hi Adam, Thanks for the reply. I would love to chat sometime. How about I try to make it to one of the upcoming Bateson talks, before the end of the series? I will need to catch up a little, but I’ve been meaning to do so. It may take me a few weeks, but I think it would be interesting to talk about Holochain from this shared context. And of course, if that doesn’t work out exactly, we could always find another opportunity to speak. Cheers.