Beyond Physicalism

I have read most everything by Bergson available in English but I have been hesitant to offer my take on Bergson to the forum. I feel Matt is great at “chunking-down, chunking-slow” as you say and this is an attribute that my speedy eyes and mind recognize as a worthy trait. Where I might be a good librarian directing you to the appropriate works, others have the ability to take the material and present this in a coherent whole. His other brief recordings on Time and Free Will and the first chapter on Matter and Memory are just as useful for understanding Bergson.

I like this and imagine that our obscure non-academic settings need not be bubbles separated from the core of how the world’s inhabitants see the world. We are the future and we do have a chance to be heard and seen by the world at large.

We have been working on languaging so, in light of the discussion, I could have just as easily said of how time’s inhabitants experience time. Bob Rosenberg in the Consciousness Unbound seminars and in his essay “Precognition” from the book with the same title advocates that we need a new concept of time, one that can account for precognition and other concepts. “Our understanding of time is woefully inadequate to cope with precognition.” He states we have “signposts” left from reports of NDEs, mystical experiences and other altered states. One of my favorite thoughts from Matt’s third video is that, when in a dream state (i.e. when we are free from the spatial necessities of waking life), something like experiencing having two personalities in one body is non-paradoxical; only when we awake and reflect upon it does it become paradoxical. Forcing mystical time into modern physics does not complete the puzzling image. Wilder philosophies: apply here!

2 Likes