Book of Revelations - allegorical characters

The last and most enigmatic book of the New Testament. What characters represent?

2 Likes

That would be quite an intense text to read! Have you seen the newly published essay by Brian George? He discusses John and Revelations from a rather unconventional point of view.

2 Likes

Hi Marco! appreciate your feedback. Yes, very intriguing and ludic the point of view you shared. Blake and Milton made allusions to their homeland, England, didn’t they? In their case, I suppose it was a form of create a connection to their homeland.
I believe each individual can have a relevant appreciation of that book, in my opinion a perfect and lucid explanation of mankind’s dispositions for error and transcendent.

2 Likes

I think this book was meant to be read out loud. A group chant. Elaine Pagels wrote a book on it ( which I have yet to read.) It may be a highly political text as it arose during a social cataclysm. I confess I haven’t read it since I was a kid. I think it could be fun to discuss and gather some impressions. I am open to the influence of this strange book.

2 Likes

This is an interesting possibility. I am reminded that the Book of Genesis—according to the Meru research that @achronon shared with us way back when, here: Cosmos Café: Time, Space, & The Hebrew Alphabet [01/09] and here: Cosmos Café: Less Time, More Space, & Hebrew Letter Gestures [1/23] — may also have been meant to be gestured or danced.

Alpha to Omega: I wonder what we would learn about Revelations if we read it relation to Genesis. What a narrative arc! In my end is my beginning. To go from the primal scenes of our lost paradise to the ultimate destruction (and revealing) of the world—the wild fruits of our Tree of Knowledge!

Also refer to the readings of William Blake’s The Four Zoas here: William Blake's The Four Zoas + Cameron Stallones' Sonic Assemblage

Lots of apocalyptic energy in those mixes.

3 Likes

I believe that is not only desirable but in fact essential for understanding the Revelation

2 Likes