[CC] Development Meeting #4 – 10/11:

Continuing the discussion from [CC] Development Meeting #3 – 10/4:.

The conversation continues…

Tuesday, 10/11, at 1 pm MDT.

On the agenda:

• Sketching out a Road Map for the next 2–3 months, as we work toward a launch and membership/fundraising campaign
  • Using Infinite Conversations forum generative dialogue and participatory sense-making [See @johnkellden’s post here for background.]

Talk soon! If you can’t make it, video will be posted below after the talk.

##Weekly Co-op Development Meeting:

Mindful AI is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Time: Tuesday at 1pm Mountain time (Denver, USA), weekly [time zone converter]

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: Launch Meeting - Zoom

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +16465588656,573718689# or +14086380968,573718689#

Or Telephone:
Dial: +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll) or +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll)
Meeting ID: 573 718 689
International numbers available: Zoom International Dial-in Numbers - Zoom

2 Likes

Are you using a note keeping or mind mapping tool to store and organize things discussed at the zoom meetings?

Choosing a set of tools that are standardized and picked to satisfy the task needs of a group of distributed workers is important

That would be a good idea. Like I mentioned, we use Asana to capture tasks. We use the forum for conversations. We have a few Slack channels as well, for quicker back and forths. However, we are not using a note-taking or mind-mapping tool per se. It would certainly be useful to capture notes during a meeting. What do you recommend?

Detached retina. It sucks, :confused: I am healing, limited vision, limited amounts of energy per day.

Collaborative note taking depends a bitt too much on the operating system, viewing device, and experience of the various people at an information event like your zooms.

And tools are only as good as the skill of the people using them. All tools need some practice. for the best effect.

I favor google drive based tools, because they are at least somehwhat platform neutral, this is mac and pc users both get enough of a similar experience to make them able to use them equally well. abut not all google drive based tools have a good phone experience.

Google Docs is pretty universal, and phone apps for it work well enough, collaboration is solid and pretty easy to manage, but it is a document metaphor, not a notes or card metaphor.

I personally like conceptboard, based in google drive, but it is a more advanced type of tool.

A simple tool that interests me is Boardthing. Here’s an example.

http://boardthing.com/board/5804d3e9c3624ce70000684e

But Boardthing is in beta still. however, meaning collaboration is not full yet.

I’ll keep thinking. This is a problem to be solved for other projects too.

Hey Bill—I’m really sorry to hear about your retina. :slight_frown:

We’re using Google Drive (docs, drawing) already, so maybe that’s plenty to start with. However, Boardthing, at first glance, looks pretty good. Conceptboard is one I’ve played with too, and looks like it’s further along in its development…but would be a bit pricey unless we’re really going to use it heavily.

Hope you feel better soon! And I look forward to talking in real time at some point…

I’m looking into tools and tool use as well. Maybe there’s merit to have one set of tools for Salon’s, a slightly different set for Coop dev, a third set for community outreach and so on…?

1 Like

The right tool for the job :slight_smile:

But let’s also keep in mind the added cognitive load of learning and adopting (and getting others to adopt) new tools. On the other hand, I’m very open to and interested in experimentation. I’m sympathetic with the mantra of “small, safe-to-fail experiments.”

The benefit of being small and relatively inchoate is that we can try things out without confusing too many people. However, I think probably the two best tools we have are the forum and videoconferencing. There’s a lot we can get done simply through synchronous/asynchronous discussions and diligent follow-up. During meetings, some kind of shared board seems like it could be really useful.