is a platform
co-owned and co-created
by a devoted community of users
like a self-organizing systems game,
coordinated on a shared purpose/intent:
increased self-actualization for all wholes & parts thereof,
(with an eye to the residual effect on empowerment in the broader environment, too).
* a platform (technological systems)
* a cooperative (economic systems)
* a community (social-cultural-cognitive systems)
We serve ourselves, one another, & our common intent/purpose through developing the above three intersecting systems.
The big collective game involving the above three-fold system is animated by:
- Certain core design ethics/principles (shared across all three main systems - see current Technological & Socio-Economic interpretations of core principles)
- User-innovated algorithms & process templates
Algorithms are essentially formulas governing how energy flows in the system. Process templates are artifacts that, if activated, can become algorithms, but in the abstract, simply describe the steps and results in a particular process.
- Informational (“how to do ___________”: articulated processes that individuals, groups and communities can choose to engage in & innovate on)
- Social (“let’s do _________ together here”: standard & norms around communication, interactions, and power)
- Technological ("now you can do _________ using this helpful tool that may result in greater outcomes…" includes utilities, tools & apps)
All process templates start out as informational (articulated in text or other media), and then may become activated when people engage them in praxis, resulting in embodied forms such as social/cultural activities or protocols, and/or technological products or workflows that enable vaster capacities, services, and possibilities for users.
The algorithms governing everything—user experience, system affordances, system configuration, etc.—fall under two types:
- Constitutional algorithms (core code / codex; universal rules and terms for engagement)
- Customizable/Playbook (optional user-configured parameters or “plays,” within the broad bounds set by Constitutional rules)
Users are members are owners are participants are co-creators.
They contribute to Cosmos’ overall development while also playing self-directed sub-games through their choices, interactions and goal pursuits on the platform and in community discourses & activities.
Different member types are defined by how they tend to interact with the platform (creatives, sustainers, and workers).
Cosmos’ primary array of intended platform-based products, services & benefits will center on the fundamental elements of any creative process:
- Conversation & Community (the “generative milieu”)
- Publishing & Distribution
- Marketing & Promotion
- Ongoing Professional Development (education, skill-building, advocacy)
In each arena, various applications, tools, utilities, built-to-purpose spaces, conversations and other user-generated assets would be “in play” and made available to those who opt in (for an additional investment of some kind).
Users will be facilitated by system representatives (AI and/or human) to connect to suitable options and resources in Cosmos, based on the goals defined for themselves upon embarking in the platform. Users will also be encouraged to respond to opportunities or requests in their environment in which their unique offerings may serve others. Authentic reciprocity and mutual care “raises the power” in the overall system as a result. In this way, we endeavor to braid the fruits of system use to the intentions of each user and the intentions of the community—thus, in praxis, fulfilling the core purpose of the platform/co-op/community of holistic/fractal self-actualization.
Intended platform capacities & utilities of Cosmos include:
- Dashboard (user portal)
- Spaces of Exchange
- Litcoin (a diversified internal currency)
- Gamified participatory & governance spaces & protocols
Through the cooperative model, members have an opportunity to directly benefit from their contributions and participation–both in terms of economic and governance responsibilities and benefits. Members customize their own menu of options for how they want to invest and benefit in and on the platform. The platform provides a gamified space where experimental economics becomes safer–where multiple forms of capital are acknowledged and circulated, and a polyculture of economic exchanges based on alternative terms of defining value (e.g. gifting, bartering, demurrage, etc.) become attainable.
Cosmos is founded on “collective genius” and trusts its members’ talent and ability to emerge satisficing new realities for themselves (and to influence others) through innovative dialogue, deliberation, collaborative visioning and co-creation. Perhaps the best way to imagine Cosmos metaphorically isike a self-produced, self-organized
amusement praxis park. In our systems design, we draw on wisdom from various fields including philosophy, ethics, ecology, gamification, cooperative economics and governance, and, of course, systems thinking.
For more, see: About Cosmos