Cosmos Café [5/28] - A Meditation on Blindness

Dear Ed. MP3 is not the medium I was communicating through. My communications are intended for video. That is why I have had such a hard time using this technology when ten tiny heads are plastered on a screen. This is an overload. Our drawings are intended to be seen and described by the maker as she tries to make sense in a public space of interior senses. A communique from the field. A sense of the movement, and the rhythm happens, as attention becomes a meta-attention. My main interest is in synesthesia, overlap in sensory systems. If all participants were in the same room, at the same time, this would be easy, but we are not. And that is why I asked the participants in this thread to be in a quiet space with good internet connections. Gathering attention is very hard, sustaining a group attention is very, very hard, unless there is a strong intention to do so. And Clean Language is not a conversation to be overheard. It is more a ritual than a conversation. However, I do try to move between conversation and the deeper psychic space in a careful balance between group and individual.

I appreciate that MP3 is great for those on the road who want to drive and listen at the same time. This can save time for when they are on the road and want to listen to a novel. But ultimately a novel is to be read, rather than recited. I am all for mixed media that translates adequately. Much value in that. But Clean Language is about sound/sense/ movement, gesture, and the interplay of sense making and meaning making as the between perceptual spaces and conceptual spaces merge. An open eyed trance. I work with constraints of the medium. I think it is also important that we chunk down and chunk slow to catch the rhythm, than try to crack the code. Sharing a picture, sketch, is very different from trying describe the picture in words. It is a creative tension between representational systems.

Having said that I could try to mindful of those who might be in their cars driving and tying to listen but it could really be even more confusing for those who want to create a sense of intimacy.

2 Likes