Cosmos Café: On the Human Species' Ultimate Potential [2018-01-30]

From You’d never know it wasn’t Bach (or even human):

Viewed this way, programs like Kulitta are a help to human musicians, not a threat. “They’re another tool in the toolbox,” Quick says. “People can use this to do what they already were doing, but better.”

Please note, these are not “my” algorithms, they are not necessarily my babies…but I love the idea that they can enhance my life. Again, this thread made a loose disclaimer that this needn’t go in the direction of AI/technology (as it most inevitably would, given our place in the present world), but for the sake of the current discussion…technology is making (some of) our lives better, is making (some of) our moments easier, less painful. As @achronon demonstrated to the Biblically illiterate amongst us, there is more than meets the eye than a surface understanding of the Bible. One can say that Shakespeare is irrelevant to current living, flagging themselves as having only a surface understanding of Shakespeare. We do not need an algorithm to create new Shakespeare, but to enhance our supposed current void of masterpieces…must we see ourselves as that limited that we cannot create something new? Something that would be viewed as a masterpiece of human achievement in the arts, the religious realm? Do we need a universal human species Bible? Sure all of the answers to life can be found in the first word of Genesis, or in a Hamlet monologue…but who is listening? Seriously, who is willing to listen to what has been said? Is it going to take an Oprah vs Trump to “awaken” the world?
Are we all just archivists here, collecting and collecting and sorting and buying obscure used books, foraging for online orts, seeking out the like minded underground reader? I am still attempting to find a place to discuss my understanding of Sloterdijk’s Rules for the Human Zoo (which has no controversial statements, BTW, just misunderstandings)…we are the saturated savage, taking a step away from the noble savage. As an individual, I can easily disagree, stating that I am more noble because of my saturation. As an earthly citizen, the saturated fats consumed as a whole will be the global body’s demise. My vote goes to Oprah, but hologram Lincoln Luther King really has the real me, the real us in mind…that’s because we all control the hologram to a certain extent. My vote goes to electing our overlooked elder “shepherds” like Midgley…come to think of it, advocating for elder rights might be what saves us. They have been overlooked in the whole discrimination debate, other than maybe abuses in nursing homes… I should have stopped writing a long time ago…

4 Likes