Cosmos Café Planning Session [Café 2022-01-06]

Great conversation everyone and happy that we filled in the Café spots so easily. The recording is now available above. This is how the calendar would fill out based on what was mentioned in the recording:

• 1/20 –McLuhan Law’s of Media
  • 2/3 – McLuhan Law’s of Media
  • 2/17 – Strange Loop
  • 3/3 – Strange Loop
  • 3/17 – Strange Loop
  • 4/7 – Strange Loop
  • 4/21 – open frame / regroup / evaluate / etc.
  • 5/5 – Graeber + W.I. Thompson + others
  • 5/19 – Graeber + W.I. Thompson + others
  • 6/2 – Graeber + W.I. Thompson + others
  • 6/16 – Graeber + W.I. Thompson + others

. . . that is to say, everything after our 2/3 session remain tentative. This is a wiki so the times and content can be changed by anyone. @Lisa : hope you can make the times for McLuhan listed above (at noon mountain time on Thurdays).

A few additional notes:

• Graeber has been influential to my political development in the past 3 or 4 years. I read Fragments of an Anarchist Anthropology after putting down Debt (knowing I was in too far over my head at the time) and greatly appreciated the text. In this post Cosmos Café [2/5] - TANSTAAFL or There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - #29 by Douggins I had found a free copy of the book which is still available. I would love to focus on this one if we have the opportunity. I’ll add that to the reading list above.

• Bergsonism is a very challenging text and Deleuze explicitly states up front that he is taking Bergson’s thought and makign a monster out of it. As a philosophical exercise on Bergson I would suggest the first chapter of Matter and Memory or “The Possible and The Real” is a great essay which Marco had referenced. The book Creative Mind also has “Introduction to Metaphysics” which Phil Ford and JF Martel explored in this episode of Weird Studies, another good entry point in to Bergson. The book I referenced on Bergson and PKD is The Philosophy of Science Fiction: Henri Bergson and the Fabulations of Philip K. Dick: James Burton: Bloomsbury Academic. I believe we can make something work out with Bergson during the Monday sessions once Matt has better vision on his work schedule.

4 Likes