Cosmos Café: Season 1 [November, 2017 – March, 2018]

You are making me feel competent with tech stuff! I think I just did what you wanted to do…move the Genesis reading to the Reading section for 1/9 Cafe page?

1 Like

Heh, heh, heh … you are, and will certainly remain, miles ahead of me on this tech stuff, young man.

Now, I do get the linking stuff, but I would have loved to have added that nice little YouTube window that John provided here over there on the other page. It’s not only an eye-catcher, it plays in place (doesn’t open a new tab). (Is this done by using the “upload” function in the menu instead of the linking one? Ah, there’s so much I need to learn and probably won’t.)

But, nevertheless, thanks!

1 Like

You basically typed out the instructions right there!

I updated to have the embedded video (probably should have let you practice!). I copy the link above (left click on “The Book of Genesis - Alexander…” then “copy link address”) -->go to the 1/9 Cafe page —>click edit —>and yes, click “upload” → “from the web” → paste link.

1 Like

Editorial note: “probably should have made you practice!” :grinning:

It looks like I’m intuiting just enough to get me into real trouble … which is, in short, the story of my life.

1 Like

Thanks for your help, @Douggins. One slight emendation to your recipe. You actually don’t need to “upload”–>“from the web.” To embed a video, you only need to paste the YouTube link (this is the important part) on its own line; though the upload option obviously works as well.

Pasting in a website link on its own line will also (though not always, depending on the site) generate a preview box.

2 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: On the Human Species Ultimate Potential

I just spoke with @care_save and she will be joining us tomorrow (1/16) to lead this topic:

1 Like

Added Huxley’s The Island to the list. Many Eastern themes and may be a relevant fictional read in tandem with Aurobindo’s stuff. Subtracted Tillich.

Unable to attend next week’s Cafe, 2/6.

3 Likes

Ah, the limitations of our technology …

“Liked” the post, since it clarifies and enhances the discussion, but what’s to like about the second statement? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: It won’t be the same without ya. Anybody know what we’ll be talking about?

2 Likes

Willing to try remote telepathy as I sit in a boring meeting :roll_eyes: :point_right: :point_left: :roll_eyes: …don’t know how Zoom will record that.

2 Likes

What about a chapter from The Extended Mind?

What’s that? Has that been mentioned before? I guess I missed something … again. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I think @johnnydavis54 means The Irreducible Mind as mentioned above.

1 Like

Thanks for the correction. That is the title I was thinking of. It has been mentioned many times, and the chapter 1 Myers would be a great start. As I recall at least three of us who are planning to be there have the book already.

2 Likes

Thanks for sorting this. You have to know that as an old guy, I get really confused really easily. :confounded:

I’d be up for it. Synchronistically, I’ve been plowing through my reading program on this very text. (I’m about halfway through the last chapter.) I must say, I’m rather impressed by the professionalism of Kelley and his co-authors and with the sobriety and clarity with which they approaches their subjects. I also think that some engagement with Myers’ notion of the Subliminal Self would not be out of place, also (or especially) in light of our impending engagement of Aurobindo.

3 Likes

I agree. The Subliminal Self is crucial to understanding what the heck the paranormal is all about. Which chapter works best? Shall we start at the beginning?

2 Likes

It does lay the groundwork for what is being explored in the rest of the book. That’d work for me, but what does everyone else think?

2 Likes

So that would be:

Irreducible Mind, Chapter 1: A View from the Mainstream: Contemporary Cognitive Neuroscience and the Consciousness Debates

?

I could do that. I have a still-shiny new copy of the book right here beside me.

2 Likes

Let’s make it happen. I gather we are all agreed?

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Cosmos Café: Irreducible Mind [2/6]