Creating a Real World

Rebel Wisdom offers another useful interview. Have we fucked up everything at a global scale? Maybe. A third order failure is entirely possible. And what do we do when we don’t know what to do? Small world networks can be very important for amplifying our collective learning. We are already doing this. Let’s use all of our knowledge, dear friends, and use all of it well.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing this EXCELLENT, sober, hopeful, serious, well-reasoned call for proceeding intelligently in the real world. I recommend this highly; it’s too bad this can’t be required viewing for those making political and economic decisions in the coming days.

In particular, Schmachtenberger goes “meta” from the 1:13:55 mark and it’s solid gold. This is reflected in the Lent book as well - we (again meant ‘collectively’) know that complexity is fragility but we’ve refused to accept the implications.
Now we have no choice.
There is still time but we must speak.

Taking the liberty of sharing this one in some of my other circles…

4 Likes

Thanks, TJ, for your response. Culture workers of all kinds must come together and start to re-organize. Much is demanded of us, we must do this work and the good news is taking up this challenge unleashes our enormous potential. Gebser, Aurobindo, and Bellah were creating the conditions for this moment in our history. This is a turning point. Let us draw upon the quiet power of the elephant. And recall that we each carry the light. And when you carry the light what happens to the path?

5 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

This is well written and I don’t disagree. I live in NY so I recognize his description and I also am aware that he is not saying anything new. Where will he be in 2022? And what do we do when we don’t know what to do? I imagine small world networks such as ours can invite a new way of knowing our becoming. We might be getting some sneak previews in our messy study groups of adjacent possibilities. Davor said Modernism is over. Many of us already know that and have already moved on. And what are the new operational chains that our more flexible, feedback driven networks might give rise to? I am very aware of the mood of the piece-it is contagious. It is a downer and the author is still in mourning. I think we need to register our grief as we also prepare for the next wave…and that is exciting! The myth of the bigger yam has been exposed. The Big Ponzi scheme has been revealed. And then what happens?

3 Likes

index

Same amount of work

2 Likes
3 Likes

The shop keepers and garbage collectors are held in contempt while the banks once again get a bail out. Haven’t we been here before?

3 Likes