December of the Dispossessed: Highlights Blog

Our reading of the Dispossessed is drawing to a close!

We’ve had a great time experimenting and having fun with this beta test and we’re looking forward to our next book–more on that in a bit.

This reading has been a great first step in making a vibrant, dynamic community of readers with social poetics as its core value. We’re still working on the kinks and we really appreciate everyone who volunteered to be our testers, companions and guinea pigs. If you have any suggestions about how we can improve, please either me (@natalie), @Jeremy or @madrush messages with your ideas.

As you all know, we had a great first google hangout discussion. You can watch it here and are still welcome to get in the after-discussion about it here.

Here’s some highlights, in no particular theme or order, from the topics so far.

@tehlorkay, in the topic “Beautiful Language & Thought” on human suffering:
I’ve struggled my whole life with the idea that in order to maintain “mental health” we must ignore the suffering inherent in our experience. We are temporary beings with a non-negotiable and yet unknown expiration date […] This idea - that embracing the futility of trying to prevent suffering can lead to a path through it, to something beyond - was equal parts comforting and fascinating to me.

@jessicayogini in the topic Is some form of utopia worth striving for?, on brighter visions:
In tuning in to possible better futures, ones that represent not-yet-full-emerged aspects of a maturing humanity, visions of various sorts can certainly be a useful source. Meditative visions, hypnogogic visions, chemically-assisted visions, visions that come in ecstatic dance. Anyone who can portray a better future in fiction is also helping us greatly.

@Jeremy, in his topic Le Guin Dreams, where he discusses a rather mystical dream in which no less than Le Guin herself tells him the nature of time:

Again, she waved her hand over the page and the words appeared once more. “So time is reversible?” I asked. She just smiled. I felt she was conveying something silently, something more mystical about time than the mere reversibility of its passage.

Of course, that’s only a few there’s lots more pearls of wisdom hidden in the depths of all the topics! Go check them out for yourself.

Our next Discussion in Google Hangouts is on Wednesday, January 30th, 6 PM PST/ 9 PM EST at this link. You can find more info by referring to the LitGeeks newsletter in your email.

And, as you all probably all know, the next book we Lit Geeks will be reading will be Ever Present Origin by the brilliant Jean Gebser, considered by many (including Ken Wilber) to be one progenitors of modern Integral thought.

@Jeremy, as the president of the International Jean Gebser Society, is a lot more equipped to answer what questions you may have about this reading than I am, having never read the book myself. Here’s the link:
http://www.litgeeks.com/winter-of-origins/

Please share with your friends and consider donating! Our ramen levels are dangerously low!

See you between the lines,
Natalie + the LitGeeks Crew

This topic is no longer a banner. It will no longer appear at the top of every page.

Unpinned so we can highlight the hangout tonight.