Gebser conference 2016

@Jeremy: I’ve been meaning to ask, is there any update on the upcoming Gebser conference, which is a couple months away at this point, right?

Anything new going on in the scholarship (perhaps from @Aaron, @achronon, @AriAnnona, or @acharantos, et al.)?

Anyway we can support the conversation in the lead-up, or tie in to our group reading experience?

hey there Marco~ I will be presenting at the Gebser conference~ SO excited. The topic is Nature, so I have so interesting perspectives to share about that, about my understanding of Gebser’s work in relationship to both Eastern and Western relationships to the natural world and our place in it~ Stay tuned! [:smiley:]

3 Likes

Greetings… Looking forward to the gathering in Seattle, verily… Here are some texts that might be of value in advance:

Facing Climate Change: An Integrated Path to the Future by Jeffrey T. Kiehl [Columbia U Press, 2016] I suggested that Jeffrey might be keynote speaker for our conference, but he was not available. He is a career climatologist with the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) in Boulder. He also is a Jungian analyst, stemming from his efforts to address the psychological effects of climate change among various audiences. Jeff brings Buddhist sensibilities to this excellent book. [144 pages]

Havoc: Thy Name is Twenty-First Century: Thermodynamic Isolation and the New World Order by Peter Pogany [iUniverse 2015] This book is the posthumous publication by Peter, a professional economist, who integrated Gebser’s thought thoroughly and presented at Gebser conferences for many years, a good friend to many attendees. As the jacket states, here Peter “examines the problems we face and argues that human culture is governed by thermodynamic cycles of steady states interrupted by chaotic transitions… His theory predicts that global society is drifting toward a new form of self-organization that will recognize limits to demographic-economic expansion—but only after we go through a new chaotic transition that will start sometime between now and the 2030s.” [130 pages]

Learning to Die in the Anthropocene: Reflections on the End of a Civilization by Roy Scranton [City Lights 2015] “If being human is to mean anything at all in the Anthropocene, if we are going to refuse to let ourselves sink into the futility of life without memory, then we must not lose our few thousand years of hard-won knowledge, accumulated at great cost and against great odds. We must not abandon the memory of the dead. … The fate of the humanities, as we confront the send of modern civilization, is the fate of humanity itself.” [109 pages]

After Nature: A Politics for the Anthropocene by Jedediah Purdy [Harvard U Press 2015] Bill McKibben writes: “Every page has insights that will help people struggling to understand how we got here and where we’re headed.” [288 pages]

The Shock of the Anthropocene: The Earth, History and Us by Christophe Bonneuil and Jean-Baptiste Fressoz [Verso 2016] Timothy Morton writes: “A very important book…show(s) us how to keep our head without losing our heart to technocracy.” [291 pages]

Hyperobjects: Philosophy and Ecology after the End of the World by Timothy Morton [UMinnesota 2013] “What have we witnessed in this book? Radiation, hydrocarbons, global warming, and a number of other hyper objects. Along with them, we have seen the emerging reactions to hyper objects as genuine non-human entities that are not simply products of a human gaze.” [201 pages]

The Universe of Things: On Speculative Realism by Steven Shapiro [UMinnesota 2014] from the jacket: “…focuses on how Alfred North Whitehead both anticipates and offers challenges to prevailing speculative realist thought…as it becomes clear that our inherited assumptions are no longer adequate to describe, much less understand, the reality we experience around us.” [156 pages]

Some folks might want to connect with The Dark Mountain Project. From the manifesto: "The end of the world as we know it is not the end of the world full stop. Together, we will find the hope beyond hope, the paths which lead to the unknown world ahead of us."
http://dark-mountain.net/about/manifesto/

2 Likes

Hey @madrush, yes, the Gebser Conference is convening at Seattle University Oct. 7-9th. The theme is “New Insights into Nature.” You can check the CFP page, which will be updated soon with the schedule and speakers.

Once the updated page is up I was planning on doing a Microdose. Perhaps interviews with some of the presenters, like @AriAnnona (if you’d be interested talking about your work, Ari)?

2 Likes

Excellent reading list here, @acharantos!

As I was mentioning to @AriAnnona, maybe we could do an interview or a podcast about your current research leading up to the conference? We could plan it for mid-September.

2 Likes

Certainly, Jeremy… Jeff Kiehl would be available for a podcast…

1 Like