Introductions Thread: Origins, Beginnings, Becomings

Hey David! Good to see you here. Thanks for joining us! @natalie and I are planning on a Boulder / CO move in the near future. Perhaps we’ll get the chance to meet, face-to-face.

Hi Susan! Welcome, welcome.

Great point about Rothko, and a larger statement about Gebser’s EPO.

Linda Bark’s exercises were interesting, though I wish we could have spent some more time dwelling on and exploring each structure to give it its due time. What do you think?

Hey Jessica! Thanks, and welcome. Most of my reading of Wilber also spans from the 80s – SES, which I think hold the bulk of his insights and revisit from time to time.

Yes, indeed, this is an open-ended thing! An open sourced thing, as @madrush points out in the podcast. It was also the theme of last year’s Gebser conference, “Architects of the Integral World,” a kind of open-ended invitation to consider integral as fellowship, as rhizome, as interbeing. Many new voices came to the table.

I look forward to continuing this exploration with you.

Welcome Zaq! Good to see you here. Hope you do get a copy of EPO, but we do have the first two chapters available in PDF form on the resources page, and Questia has a pretty good deal for renting the book.

Jeremy,

Great to hear from you.

Congrats on upcoming (spring?, summer??) Boulder move.

Obviously you already have a ready-made community here with probably lots of good friends, but please do add us to your list of folks warmly welcoming your arrival and offering to help serve an easy arrival any way we can.

Best till next,
David

1 Like

Thanks David! Yes, looking like summer at the moment. I appreciate your warm welcome!

Hi, Taylor, I know you from your past participation on my IPS forum. I’m dropping a note here because you mentioned studying at SIT. One of my Nepalese relatives recently enrolled there, so you might run into him sometime. His name is Hem Pun.

Hi, LitGeek friends, I apologize I’m making an introduction so late*. Last week was a busy one for me and I’m just catching up. EPO is something I’ve dipped into off and on over the past few years but I never really tried to tackle the whole thing, so I’m looking forward to going deeper with it this time. I’m familiar with Gebser through Wilber, as many here are, but also through my long-time practice of the Time-Space-Knowledge vision (TSK) – as a number of TSK practitioners have noted, and written about, similarities between Gebser’s reflections and TSK’s interpretation of “time” and its creative interplay with space and knowledge. Or, I should say, interpretations of time, since TSK recognizes multiple levels and modes of time or timing. As I get deeper into the book, I may want to discuss some of this with whoever is interested … so, be forewarned :-).

1 Like

Nice and smooth, Jeremy.

I studied TSK intensely for a number of years so I would be very interested in any connections you make between these two texts. Reading them together makes a lot of sense, there is considerable overlap.

i enjoy language Jessicayogini~ it’s really JUST about THAT. I have already read and reread Gebser’s Origins, and have written some of my doctoral dissertation on it. I just like to hear the concepts from the German perspective… thanks tho~

Hi folks. Great to be here! I first came to Gebser in 2003, and to the Gebser Society in 2008.

I came to Gebser through the Eranos school of thinkers: Corbin, Eliade, Jung. A close friend, who worked in my local esoteric bookshop, handed the EPO to me one day and said: “Jung was brilliant, but Gebser saw over the hill”.

Since that day Gebser has been a close part of my life. I wove him into my PhD research, which I began the next year, but ended up with a topic so huge I had to split it in two in order to submit it. The Gebser half, which emerged from translation work from 2004–2010, as well as archival research in Bern, had to be put aside. My thesis ended up being on the alchemy of the French Hermetic philosopher, René Schwaller de Lubicz, whose ideas I was crossfertilizing with Gebser’s. Since completing my PhD in 2011, I’ve returned to Gebser’s work in earnest in order to bring out a solid biography as well as translations of his collected works. These will be forthcoming through Rubedo Press, so keep your eyes peeled for releases later this year.

Last but not least: I wish to extend a heartfelt thanks to Jeremy, Marco, and Natalie for bringing this into being. Fantastic work!

5 Likes

I am also writing a doctoral dissertation, in which Gebser plays a prominent part. Along side Gebser I am working with language and symbolism through the work of Cassirer and Ricouer. (Merleau-Ponty too.) Such rich stuff, eh?
glad to see you here!

2 Likes

So glad to glad to have you here as part of the conversation, @Aaron. I’m having serious illuminations and _aha_s on almost every page of the book so far. I hope all these discussions can help enrich your scholarly work and vice versa.

2 Likes

Thank you for your generosity of telling. I connect in many particulars and universals.

It is possible that I could write a foreword to your treatise. I am an ancient Gebserian, author, teacher…

2 Likes

Have taught Gebser for several decades. All strengths be thine in your good work…

1 Like

The beat goes on… Lub-dub… Lub-dub… Stone in the wind…

I truly wish I had discovered this wonderful site during the “winter”.

My path runs from a long-time passion for world history to comparative civilizations theory to an abridged translation of Oswald Spengler to the excellent encapsulation of Spengler’s ideas in a video lecture series done by John David Ebert. Ebert followed up with “another one of these Germans” (LOL), a philosopher whose name I had never heard before. I stayed tuned and was simply floored; by the third or fourth video, I had ordered a copy of The Ever-Present Origin. That was about a year ago. I’ve only finished the first part (“Foundations…”) - certainly rewarding reading but slow both because the writing is so rich and because I was inspired to go back and take a much closer look at art history and mythology than I had previously.

1. What a deep and holistic approach to the multiplicity of past and present cultures and, more than that, a sober but thoroughly fascinating look ahead!
  2. Why on Earth is this guy not much better known?!??

Well, fwiw, here I am, a day late and a dollar short, a simple bookworm whose reading will never be the same now that I have glimpsed the integrum and met Jean Gebser.

2 Likes

Hi @patanswer!

A pleasure to have you join us, if “latently.”

This is precisely what I hoped some would use this forum for—a-synchronous forays into Jean Gebser’s life and work. The search engines are doing their job! Ebert is quite a brilliant lecturer and I’ve enjoyed hours of his YouTube videos. We’ve published some of his latest work—poetry, appropriately—over at Metapsychosis. You can check that out here.

Secondly, please take your time and dig into the old threads. Reply to them if you’d like. I’m sure there are still some of us who will respond.

Lastly, as president of the Jean Gebser Society, I invite you to join our list serv and perhaps even join us next year in New York City. We’ll be hosting our 47th annual conference. You can check out the 46th, “New Insights into Nature,” and its archive page here.

Thanks again for joining us.

2 Likes