John David Ebert's recent Time Magazine current issues of issues issue

Isn’t his an interesting issue issue? I can’t think of a time when I’ve actually read a Time issue. I was too enchanted with being in a mythological state, and unable to grasp the real value of the deficiency of my burgeoning mental sphere… maybe this is a good time to swap some tales of Stranger Things in a Timely context?

His FB posts of late were a commentary (taking issue) on the current
leaders of thought (issue issuers) depicted on Time/Newsweek magazines. A
comparison of things issued now and then.

This being a kind of indication issues, as well issuing from an
Origin Ever-Present, but that’s another issue, like the one issuing
forth in the Decline of the West that Spengler issued.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10209825218656160&set=a.10200643224472044.1073741825.1503245028&type=3&theater

I did notice a strange resonance between JD Ebert’s preoccupation with the absence of public thinkers and the issues raised by the lifeworld, so-called, of Stranger Things. Yesterday I had coffee with a literary festival director and found myself going on this rant about the rise of interface and high cost of the now-consummate Revenge of the Nerds. There is a lot to talk about here, a lot to unpack. I’ve been struggling with that Stranger Things essay since last week. Maybe we should go straight to podcast? I’m planning to give it another go tomorrow. Hopefully something will out.

3 Likes

Maybe a podcast is exactly what you need. @jjf.martel, free this weekend? Did we want to make it a round-table?

2 Likes

I don’t see the cover of time here, but I can smell the diaphanous under Montreal smoked steak spices and coffee…

1 Like

JDE is on fire. We should snatch him up for a Metapsy interview but he’s totally right… The public intellectual is something of a lost cultural artifact. Even when they do emerge, the mediasphere is so large/decentralized that it doesn’t mean the same thing anymore. Still, I think, it’s something to protest about—maybe Metapsy can function towards this, although in a more collectivized form.

For the record I haven’t read Time magazine in years and years. Who would’ve thought there was a time where the front page shared the likes of McLuhan, Toynbee, and Jung?

1 Like

When one’s idea of a public intellectual is Alain de Botton, you know your culture is in trouble.

3 Likes

What’s the Time issue of issues you’re referring to, @Oliver_Rabinovitch? Link?

I’ve listened to parts of Decline of the West. It’s good to hear thinkers talking about current events on multiple levels, not just the one-dimensional political arguments, but thinking out loud about where “this” is all going with detailed attention to the cultural significance of events.

I think there’s some kind of subtle lust for apocalypse mixed in there too, but hey, don’t we all want the end of the world at some level?

I think this might be my favorite example of How it Used to Be with public intellectuals and the media:

The world of podcasting, though, definitely seems like the opportunity for a renaissance of sorts of this kind of open-ended, in-depth, public intellectual discussion.

3 Likes

His FB posts of late were a commentary (taking issue) on the current leaders of thought (issue issuers) depicted on Time/Newsweek magazines. A comparison of things issued now and then.

This being a kind of indication issues, as well issuing from an Origin Ever-Present, but that’s another issue, like the one issuing forth in the Decline of the West that Spengler issued.

There’s mention of the value of Mcluhan’s Playboy interview:

2 Likes

The wounded surgeon plies the steel
That questions the distempered part;
Beneath the bleeding hands we feel
The sharp compassion of the healer’s art
Resolving the enigma of the fever chart.

1 Like