Mark Vernon and Ancient World(s)

If there is any energy left for investigating contemporary esoterica, I would propose that this be in the mix as a follow up to Jeremy Johnson’s visit a few months ago. As we took a look at Peter Kingsley recently, I imagine that we may be on the brink of discovering a new way of “going meta”. I have not heard about the Axial Age study group reconvening, so I am open to the adjacent possibilities. Vernon is making much sense. I hope others might find this useful. Who knows which seeds will grow in the Womb of Time?

4 Likes

Since the banner across the top of the page I’m viewing says this is the first time john davis has posted so we should welcome him to the community, let me start with that: Welcome, john davis, I hope this isn’t the last we hear from you!

The podcast was well done and played out nicely, both as a review of Gebser (if you aren’t roughly aware of who he is and what he’s done, one could be a bit overwhelmed) and introduction to Barfield, a long-neglected thinker who may be making an overdue comeback.

In particular, I found Mark’s suggestion that Saving the Appearances doesn’t have to be read front-to-back both intriguing and appropriate, as it could be an approach for an upcoming Café should others be interested in perhaps engaging Barfield a bit more closely. Let’s pick a chapter, read it and hash it over to see where it might take us or what it might add to the mix of ideas that have percolating in any of us individually. (Of course, the language geek in me agrees with him, too, that History in English Words is simply a fun book to read, especially in light of the long history of consciousness unfoldment that seems to have caught the fancy of quite a few of us here on the site).

And I agree, John, “Vernon is making much sense,” so even perhaps a closer look at his book might be worthwhile exploring … not in the sense of a cover-to-cover read, but also, perhaps, a chapter that presents some idea or notion (such as the one on “mystics and mysticism”) that we could tie into whatever else we think we should be doing in the world.

I, for one, very much enjoyed this and am glad I found the time to watch it. Time well spent.

2 Likes

I agree with you, Ed. English Words is full of odds and ends of the most interesting kind. It makes you aware of the mouth/feels that we engage daily have a long history. Barfield and Vernon would be a good match for the language geeks among us.

“It is pleasant to think of these ancestors of ours already uttering to one another in that remote past great and simple words like fire, night, star, thunder, and wind, which our children still learn to use as they grow up.” History in English Words

2 Likes