Philosophy in a New Key by Susanne Langer - Session 4 [Cosmos Café 2021-12-16]

As I have been outside of the time of this “strange loop” of a conversation I will take the position of an insider looking out or as an in-outsider with (or without) in-outsight. Though I have much to add on dogs, creativity and reading lists, I will just add a few logical-logistical thoughts.

On the content of the Café: Welcome again to our ongoing discussions Matt @PureMemory and you, Eware . . . our humble theoria, poiesis and praxis modalities. Where we go from here is yours to contemplate, yours to make into something fresh, yours to bring into the world and make a reality. I have relished in and benefited from your insights and explorations.

Currently (from my pov) we have two discussion threads. In the Beyond Physicalism thread, a few of us are exploring Bernardo Kastrup, Henri Bergson, Eric Wargo and Marshall McLuhan (among others). Johnny, Matt and I met a few weeks back on a Monday and we plan to have more discussions around these topics of time, free will, expression and McLuhan’s tetrad. We also have the Langer group just coming out of an exploration symbolic transformation, language, logic, aesthetics and myth. I see the warp of Beyond Physicalism and the woof of Langer forming into a mutual discussion around McLuhan and the Four Laws. I very much like Johnny’s McLuhan suggestion and see this as a ‘logical’ progression from where we left off. But then again, anyone can make connections. When I read this from @edoubleoo:

. . . I hear the voice of Bergson. Bergson was destined to be a mathematical prodigy then decided upon philosophical investigations. The “core I”, the infinite “virtual I’s” and Singularity sound quite Bergsonian to my ears. To Johnny’s ears, Hofstadter adds some spiritual style to his tinnitus! Just another example of how each and every one of our personal explorations can mix and mingle with all others. So how do we take what has been proposed and make this a reality?

I fully support Johnny’s proposal towards consensus building in real-time, virtually, face-to-face. Along with Matt, we have a few others on the @ccafe crew who have previously shared desired readings. January 6th’s Café can be utilized to listen with sincerity and deep intent as we define the possibilities of future explorations. An intensive, intimate gathering. Why are we here? What makes our philosophical investigations so meaningful? We can toss in a bit of creativity as well.

Another logistical sidenote: I am imagining that we can keep our Thursday Café sessions flowing and perhaps open up Mondays to a sort of sister thread, weaving their own solo materials and mutual interests. The Thursday’s sun to the Monday’s moon. For example, if we decided to go with Johnny’ suggestion of two sessions of McLuhan and four on Hofstader, we could set up McLuhan on Mondays and Hofstader on Thursdays. As we come from different locations on the globe, date and time matter as to when and how we participate. I want to let it be known that if a reading or discussion wants to arise, I/we can make this happen at most any other time. If you wish to lead a reading group on a book or other material, feel free to bring in your chosen materials and even other comrades who may not be part of this conversation and start up a reading group. Email me if you would like for this to happen.

On the ‘flow’ of the Café: I appreciate the careful cultivation of the Café. Since September we have had a continual thematically grounded conversation (from explorations on language and into Langer’s symbolic transformation). We ended our Langer sessions with an interest in exploring the subject further (along with a grand list of possibilities). Ed’s referenced essays are helpful in rekindling previous hot topics (Gebser; integral theory) with Langer’s work. Eware’s fresh seasonings have us ‘seasoned’ cafe folk following subtle scents previously left unnoticed.

We use the Cafe metaphor quite literally; we have on occasion created a virtual menu that lists out readings, videos, themes, etc. In short, we each are chefs creatively mixing or farmers transporting organic ingredients or managers making decisions as well as the customers, diners, hungry souls. Thus we tend to want to eat the entire menu. Eyed words bigger than the stomach can digest. And, what is great about the lot of us is that even if we select one main course (or dessert) to share, we each bring our personal experience to the table. Nothing is off the menu yet we do tend to navigate towards our favorite dishes. New chefs bring new recipes, etc. etc.

5 Likes