[Proposal] Cosmos Café - Introducing Donna Haraway's Staying with the Trouble

Proposals are percolating brews brewing, waiting for the right time-space for an introduction to our ever-growing, always-pulsating Cosmos Café menu and calendar. Give the proposal a like if you think it would be a good addition to the list of Cosmic brews.

In your time zone: TBD

ZOOM video conference: https://zoom.us/j/711610894

Donna Haraway’s book Staying with the Trouble has come up a few times this past year on Infinite Conversations and provides an excellent way to follow through on many of threads we’ve been working with over the past year(s) around ecological thinking and our response to planetary crisis. The Introduction provided will serve as a gateway into Haraway’s “troublesome” Indra’s net-work .

Full text available online here.

Reading / Watching / Listening

Introduction to Staying with the Trouble

Seed Questions

• Q1
  • Q2

Context, Backstory, and Related topics

• Other relevant links or topics, e.g., leading up to this talk
  • Links to additional reading, viewing, listening

Agenda items

• Coordinating upcoming sessions
  • Tech questions
  • Other procedural issues
  • Meta / reflections on Café practice itself
2 Likes

Just a heads-up from my own personal vantage point:

If we’re talking about a chat about just the Intro, no problem.

But, when @johnnydavis54 starts talking about “deep dives”, I start thinking the whole book. As was the case with @care_save’s interest in tackling The Patterning Instinct, I have no room in my schedule till at least October. We may (or may not) finish our Axial age project before my US trip in the second-half of September, and the weekly CCafés require some prep, too.

4 Likes

That’s what I’m talking about as of now…!

…and based on the two new reading groups that began for others (Savitri + Milton/Blake/Whitman…definitely not shallow water readings :woman_playing_water_polo:) + the Quantum and Axial Age explorations, a few of us need to take it easy :cold_sweat:

I do like that this one is available online for those who may need a break on book purchases. Others have also mentioned grabbing a copy last year when we Haraway was being considered. I think the introduction is fun and serious. We can wait on the remainder of the book.

2 Likes

I think we have already done a chapter from Haraway’s book. I agree that it may be too much for a Cafe and so we can do a deeper dive in the Fall. There are so many podcasts and videos that are easily assimilated during the heat waves of August. I advocate for that. We could set up a deep dive in the Fall. Haraway is not a big book and could be managed in two or three sessions. We could invite Jeremy to join us. The Patterning Instinct I know nothing about. If some one wants to sponsor that book, I would be interested. My feeling is the books that get sponsored, and have a circle of support, can sustain attention. The drop out rate can be prevented if we prepare the reading better. I am reluctant for us to just become another information dump. There is a need to integrate what we study, not just gather more info. Chunk down and chunk slow.

3 Likes

Neither do I, but it was one that @care_save was interested in, and which does have potential, at least from what little I’ve gleaned about it.

But, thank you for making the bigger point: sometimes getting a taste of something now makes it easier to think about a bigger portion later. That’s what I wanted to say. If we looked at, say, the Intro in a CCafé, great. If we considered a satellite video of some aspect of the text, great. But if we want to dive deeply into the whole text, that my need a more generous planning, like was done for the Axial Age, especially since it looks like we’re making better progress than originally expected. (Of course, I like to attribute that fact to the group that got together to do the project. :wink:)

3 Likes

Yes, I agree. The Axial Age was prepared for. And I think this takes a personal relationship to the book and a small core group to make it happen. 99% of success, according to Woody Allen, is showing up. Getting people to show up, in our frenzied social worlds, is sometimes a challenge

2 Likes