[Proposal] Cosmos Café - Mind-Body Problems with John Horgan and Stuart Kauffman

Proposals are percolating brews brewing, waiting for the right time-space for an introduction to our ever-growing, always-pulsating Cosmos Café menu and calendar. Give the proposal a like if you think it would be a good addition to the list of Cosmic brews.

In your time zone: TBD
ZOOM video conference: https://zoom.us/j/711610894

From @johnnydavis54: Here is another possibility that could fit the Cafe in a possible future. Since the Cafe is for those in the fast lane, I would invite us to check out, John Horgan’s on line book, Mind-Body Problems . Each chapter includes a manageable profile of a deep thinker and a recorded interview with the deep thinker. Chapter Four of Mind-Body Problems “The Complexologist -Tragedy and Telepathy” has John Horgan interviewing Stuart Kauffman.

Reading / Watching / Listening

Seed Questions

• Q1
  • Q2

Context, Backstory, and Related topics

• Other relevant links or topics, e.g., leading up to this talk
  • Links to additional reading, viewing, listening

Agenda items

• Coordinating upcoming sessions
  • Tech questions
  • Other procedural issues
  • Meta / reflections on Café practice itself
5 Likes

I’ve read about half of the John Horgan chapter and am really enjoying it. For some reason, what I read reminded me of a quote from Wiliam James that I used to be obsessed with for whatever reason - I love WJ’s emphasis on “feels” in the second sentence, and how, implicitly, he seems to be saying that there is a connection between our deeper intuitions and feelings and the larger, wider cosmos. Here’s the quote, from a great essay called “Is Life Worth Living,” from Will to Believe and Other Essays:

“If this life be not a real fight, in which something is eternally gained for the universe by success, it is no better than a game of private theatricals from which one may withdraw at will. But it feels like a real fight – as if there were something really wild in the universe which we, with all our idealities and faithfulnesses, are needed to redeem.”

5 Likes

In Kabbalah (well, at least in the “school” I attended for a while), “distance” in the spiritual world (for lack of a better description at the moment), is not measured out in “space” (what we normally think of when we think of “distance”), rather it is feeling that is the “measure”. If you feel closer to another, then you are closer to another, regardless of where you are and how you may be positioned physically in space in relation to one another. Think Bell’s theorem, for a mundane analogy.

4 Likes

Feelings%20%26%20Distance

Bell's%20Theorum

3 Likes