Reading Suggestions

(Katina Press) #102

After yet, another duel to confuse the heck out of each other, Ed…(Sigh)…Once again, YOU WIN, hands down!

(Ed Mahood) #103

Shared.

Sorry 'bout that. I was only seeking clarity, and I certainly missed that mark … which doesn’t feel like winning. Oh well, maybe I’ll have better luck next time.

(Marco V Morelli) #104

Maybe we should hash out our reading plans in a future Cosmos Café? We have three weeks left of Aurobindo and then nothing on the schedule—though lots of possibilities. I do not feel personally in a rush to jump into anything big. It might be good to let flowers bloom for a while and explore a few different directions, sensing for hidden resonances. I like all of the suggestions so far.

I suggested reading Gilead because of the beauty of the language I encountered in a the first few pages, an attempt to speak from the soul, I felt. I am also interested in the history of congregationalism, which seems to have a lot to say about democratic praxis and p2p spirituality.

I think there are also some interesting distinctions to be made between reading philosophy, theology, and fiction—the assumptions we make about ourselves and others when reading each. Perhaps another topic for a Café…

I would like to figure out how to better support a multiplicity of readings…I think creating those #co-op:playbook templates will help a great deal. Perhaps we could work on this during an upcoming co-working session, @KPr2204?

Good Men, Shitty Dreams, and Moving towards a Polyphasic Culture [CCafe 10/23]
(Douglas Duff) #105

Marilynne Robinson, as others identified, carries a wise soul in her pocket and has a way with language. Gilead was chosen as a must read from a Methodist preacher friend; he moved before we could fully discuss the book in person. Next best thing: an infinite conversation! We could use this book as a springboard into the philosophy of theology, or theology + philosophy + fiction. Her non-fiction work is stellar (perhaps even controversial or at least conversational fodder) and feel a few of her essays would make for great Cafes.

We do have many options, educated opinions on how to proceed with readings, reading groups. The Cafe is still open for tomorrow.

(Katina Press) #106

Thus far, it seems as though there are several Cosmos members interested in starting “Reader’s Underground” collaborative projects for the upcoming Fall/Winter. I have no idea how the process starts.

For example, Marco Mali is interested in facilitating a more detailed and intensive study of Aurobindo, incorporating Yogi practices in which he is familiar with. I sent invites to various Cosmos friends that may share his interest and, subsequently want to participate. As, he is my Brother and I want to support his vision.

What happens next? Do members have the capability to start a “thread” or “channel” as a catalyst for developing the group.

STEP (1): Enter the “Reading Suggestions” Channel/Thread (BTW. What the heck is the difference, anyway?) and type up a brief proposal about your “Reader’s Underground” (RU) text of interest.

STEP (2): Use the “Invite” icon at the bottom of your “Reply” and (one-by-one) enter the usernames of potential Cosmos members that may share your interest in participating.

**STEP (3):**Use the same “scheduling program” that the Co-Op Group used to “Vote” upon favorable scheduling days and times until a common and convenient meeting time is agreed upon (based on the “Vote” calculations) and make adjustments as needed to accommodate participants whose schedules do not coalesce.

STEP (4): The facilitator creates a Thread under the “Reader’s (RU)” Channel with a summation of the Text, Participants, Reading Assignment Schedule, Meeting Schedule (incl. all time zones), Chapter Lead Facilitators.

STEP (5): Set up a Zoom “Meeting Room” incl. recording prompts, etc.

This is only a draft of the process. However, it lacks precise details regarding “How - To”.

(Marco V Morelli) #107

A post was split to a new topic: How to start a readers group

(Marco V Morelli) #108

Hi Katina, yes they do. But let’s map out the process! I started a wiki here to get us started: https://www.infiniteconversations.com/t/how-to-start-a-reading-group/2629

But just to quickly answer the questions about forum organization, here is what I wrote there:

Note that the forum is organized by channels, sub-channels, topics, and tags. Sub-channels are nested under channels, and topics can be created in any channel or sub-channel where a member has access to post. For an overview of all the channels on the site, see here: https://www.infiniteconversations.com/categories

A new reading group should usually be started as a new topic in the Readers Underground channel here: #metapsychosis:readers-underground

In the past, we have created new topics for each meeting of a given reading group. We then group these topics together using a sub-channel (for larger works, e.g., #metapsychosis:gebser - requires moderator or admin to create) or tag (more flexible categorization, and works across channels — any member can create). For example, see all of the meetings we had on Octavia Butler’s Parable novels here: https://www.infiniteconversations.com/tags/octavia-butler

However, it would be possible (and maybe preferable, depending on the amount of activity) to stick to a single topic at first. Example: The Book of the Lion and the Lamb - a Biblical exposition manuscript

(Katina Press) #109

Okay, Marco (sigh…)! You have given me a lot of cud to chew upon in putting together a visual template illustrating the process for creating a Reader’s Underground group. I esp. appreciate the links, as they will be embedded into the process template.

As I continue to develop this manuscript, what is the criterion for submitting for online publication into the “Metapsychosis” Journal? To whom do I submit it to for review? Esp., as it is an ever-developing text. Akin to an extended short story that unfolds (weekly, per se) in each issue. I have just completed Genesis 1 and am about to start Genesis 2. I would like for this tree to grow “by streams of water” accessing more feedback and in a place with more exposure to sunlight. So, how can I get it into “Meta”?

(Tony Sauer) #110

Great, have read through allmost the all of the comments – the discussion seems to migrate into further details on Katinas expose – so here im just gona go ahead and suggest some ideas I had for the readings

There are several books that come to mind and that I think would fit with those that have been already read in the groups – all books with a broad vision, an understanding of process and a view from 10000 feet/km above and beyond - like Sources of Self (Charles Taylor), The Listenig Society (Hanzi Freinacht) and I also would be absolutely on board for the last of Sloterdijks Spheres Trilogy, Foams.

After going through Aurobindos Life Divine I personal want to take a break from spiritual explorations but am still interested to explore other ways of making sense of culture and those inbetween worlds that dont fit into the big picture, or are somehow left out. And thats where my booksuggetion comes in.

(Tony Sauer) #111

I am somehow drawn to and would like to read Jean Baudrillards most popular work “Simulacra and Simulation”

You maybe know that before the shoot of the first Matrix Movie the Wachowskis gave all the main actors three books to read – One was Kevin Kellys “Out of Control” - Another one was by psychologist and evolutionary theorist Dylan Evans “Introducing Evolutionary Theory” and the third one “Simulacra and Simulation”.

In the first of the Matrix movies there is a scene in the beginning where Keanu Reves character Neo – beeing a hacker who does some hacking job for a guy who takes him out to a 90s Technoclub – hides his minidisc in a hollow copy of Jean Baudrillards book – you can see the cover in the movie

I somehow feel that his SimulationTheory would be an interesting topic of conversation, since it does explain a lot of the ways we relate to the media in the information age – and the hyper real worlds that are created in the process. - There are a lot of ideas that his approach triggers in me and I dont find those ideas picked up or developed by integral thinkers. My own meaning making process at least followed very similar ways for some time.

It is a very short book – about 170 Pages – and could be read in a few sessions. I would like to go through it not immediately but some time in the foreseeable future. If there is enough interest I would suggest doing about 4 sessions in total with 3 for reading and 1 for Q&A and/or introduction. If we do it I would make an active effort to contact a relevant expert on Baudrillard and try to get him or her for one of the reading sessions.

Is there any interest in getting into Hyperreality with Jean Baudrillard?

(Marco V Morelli) #112

I like your suggestions, Tony. After Aurobindo, I am not in a hurry to start a new reading, but I am eager to support others in doing so, including @KPr2204 and anyone else with ideas. I would love to see a diverse garden blooming, with different styles of reading, and different content. However, it’s okay if the soil is fallow for a while. Maybe we could do an open meeting at the end of the month (11/29 has been proposed) where we discuss how to move forward. Who would be interested in that?

(Tony Sauer) #113

wow, me neither, that must be some of that synchronicity going on :grin: . At least not now. I just wanted to put this on the map for people as one of the possible future readings.
Im definitly at the last Aurobindo meeting and would be very interested to discuss how to move foreward…

(Frederick Dolan) #114

I wasn’t able to continue with the Aurobindo group because of a schedule conflict, but I’m interested in future conversations and collaborations. I like the idea of discussing recent or relatively recent books dealing with big issues, e.g. the nature of the modern world. Regarding the latter, I’d say that the two most important are Steven Pinker’s The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined and Francis Fukuyama’s 2-volume The Origins of Political Order and Political Order and Political Decay.

Fukuyama just published a book on contemporary politics, Identity: The Demand for Dignity and the Politics of Resentment. It’s very short and could provide a basis for one meeting, if that kind of thing is of interest, i.e. a series of meetings devoted to various shorter books. Another candidate for this would be Francis Rosenbluth and Ian Shapiro’s Responsible Parties: Saving Democracy From Itself (a policy- and reform-oriented diagnosis of our political dysfunction) or, a more philosophical work on the current crisis, Martha Nussbaum’s Monarchy of Fear. Also Ronnie Beiner’s Dangerous Ideas on Nietzsche, Heidegger, and the alt-right.

If it’s big and ambitious philosophy that’s wanted, thinking of some of the best or most talked about of just the last decade or at least post-2000 in no particular order: Amartya Sen, The Idea of Justice, Charles Taylor, A Secular Age, Tim Williamson, Knowledge and Its Limits, L.A. Paul, Transformative Experience, Tyler Burge, The Origins of Objectivity, Alva Noe, Action in Perception, Derek Parfit, On What Matters (not as good as his Reasons and Persons, but that’s from the 80s).