Reclaiming the Art of Conversation

I guess I meant so much not can a device be humanized but can it humanize us? At least enough to know how much it’s fucked with our heads. But maybe not. Maybe there’s no way back via technology to what it means to be except … well, us.

But how do millennials get there? I can’t begin to imagine how that generation could have an inkling there was something else to get back to. Maybe the road for them is ayahausca.

It’s a roadblock anyway, trying to imagine a device that would have somehow drawnmthose two teenagers backmto each other. Imthink until,there’s a public commons for them that has no billboards in it, they won’t be able to. Andmthen of course there is such a focus on transhumanism that I look atmthem and how thirsty they are without knowing why and so how alluring that road would be. Let’s not go back to where we started from in our correct, larger size. That doesn’t exist. We must go forward into being more human by the aid of that which dehumanizes us in the first place. So fucked up.

I’ve had this dream for a while of a play space for adults with indoor swing and a snoezelen room and a funky permaculture setup and funhouse mirrors that distort everyone into something beautiful. Lots of art classes, regular salons, and ongoing conversationsconducted by adepts andmbetween wildly disparate people who are loose enough to love the spaces that open up between them. If I ever win the lottery, I’m doing that with my earnings.

Can I just say that though online discourse is always disappointing on some level, the quality of it here is soooo good. Just this one conversation and there’s so much to be gained from it I’d need to come back seven times over to read everything you’ve all said!

1 Like

So many great seeds and opening up of lines of inquiry here. The synthesis, yes. Working on it - a pattern language designed to facilitate participatory inquiry. The breathing life in our conversations, the weaving between f2f and digital discourses. Looking forward to further steps of conversations…and thanks much Marco for our conversation today.

1 Like