The Achronon in Wei-Wu-Wei, Alan Watts

Hey friends, a recent Alan Watts article on Aeon Mag stirred up some appreciation for Western writers on Eastern religion/philosophy, which brought me to one of my favorite and of-quoted Wei-Wu-Wei. I think he captures something of Gebser’s achronon in this passage:

“‘Sudden Enlightenment’ means precisely the immediate apperception of all that in fact we are.
‘Enlightenment’ is ‘sudden’ only because it is not in ‘time’ (subject to sequential duration). It is reintegration in intemporality.”

And another, which to me does not imply a static ‘now’ but a dynamic and eternal present:

“Past and Future are a duality of which Present is the reality. The now-moment alone is eternal and real.”

Riffing on that, I cracked open an old Watts favorite of mine, Cloud Hidden, Whereabouts Unknown and found this remark in the opening passages:

“Clocks for some reason or other always seem to be marching, and, as with armies, marching is never to anything but doom.”

It’s my experience in dabbling with Eastern Philosophy that Zen, Buddhism and Taoism appear to have circumvented some of the limitations of the mental-rational structure. Gebser’s own correspondence with D.T. Suzuki seems to confirm this intuition.

What are your thoughts on the achronon in Eastern philosophy and literature?

3 Likes

I have some notes on the subject, hold on one minute… :floppy_disk: no, not there… :purse: that’s a man’s bag not a purse :no_good: it’s european :blush: let me see… :monkey: that’s my monkey, :rolling_eyes:… i can’t find them, dammit! It was something about anxiety and timing… it’s here SOMEWHERE, I’m sure?!