The Book of the Lion and the Lamb - a Biblical exposition manuscript

(Marco V Morelli) #21

Wow, Katina. I think you have a gift for this. I do not have anything to remark upon at the moment, but reading through your expositions, it is clear this journey you are embarking and inviting others on is going to be fun. I am looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds. I would love to see more people’s feedback and interaction, too, and hope to support the process however I can. You go!

(Katina Press) #22

Thanks for the encouragement, Marco. I don’t have any expectations for this project. I just feel the compulsion to put it out there. Also, it is about time that I take another walk through this binder, myself. At the time that I was putting it together, I never really came up for air.

I wish that I could be there to support you, Ed and Heather at the Gebser Convention. Please know that in spirit, you all have a crowd of witnesses observing from the heavenlies and cheering on all that you guys do at the Convention. So, YOU go!

(Marco V Morelli) #23

A post was merged into an existing topic: Katina Key Doc Uploads

(Katina Press) #24

When it comes to the themes in Genesis, poet, Elizabeth Browning puts it very beautifully:

"Earth’s crammed with heaven
_ And every common bush aflame with God_
But only those who see take off their shoes:
_ The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries."_

Let us now look at the SECOND great QUESTION about life answered in the opening chapters of Genesis:

We have not only the wonder of the universe, but the mystery of its origin is also disclosed. "God created the heavens and the earth," (Genesis 1:1b RSV).

Here we are wrestling with the great question, “How did all this come into being?” How did life appear upon it? Those who love to erect monuments on battlefields should raise a huge one on this verse. For here the armies of the evolutionists and the beleaguered hosts of the creationists have marched and wheeled and thundered and blasted away with considerably more noise than skill, producing more heat than light, to a victory that both insist they have won.

With respect to the origin of life, Darwin claimed that he knew the answer. He said it was all by evolution from a single cell existing in the primordial ooze which, by a process of division and mutation ultimately resulted in the many groups and forms of life we find existing today. But many scientists now confess great uneasiness about Darwin’s theory. Some even flatly admit that it is no longer tenable, as Darwin envisioned it. Consider, for instance, these quotations:

A. S. Romer writing in the book, Man and the Vertebrates, says,

"We have no certain fossil record of lower chordates [animals with backbones] or chordate ancestors, and very possibly never shall have. The oldest ancestors of the vertebrates are unknown and they may always remain unknown."

A scientific reviewer, G. S. Simpson, writing in Science Magazine, reviewing the book, The Origin of the Vertebrates, says,

"As for the ancestry of the chordates all is left in darkness without even the dream of sixty years ago."

In an article on animal evolution appearing in the Quarterly Review of Biology, Austin Clarke says,

"Thus, so far as concerns the major groups of animals, the creationists seem to have the better of the argument. There is not the slightest evidence that any of the major groups ever arose from any other."

These words are rather startling, when we face the widespread allegiance to Darwinian evolution that exists in the popular mind today. But the Bible even at the beginning faces this great question of the mystery of origin and proposes a solution that no science can contravene: God created the heavens and the earth.

The THIRD fundamental QUESTION Genesis answers, relating to the great mystery of time, is closely tied to the second. “When did it all begin?” Says the Bible, “In the beginning,” (Genesis 1:1a RSV). What a wonderful answer! We humans seem to be fascinated by this question of "When?"

We are always asking one another, “How old are you? When were you born?” If we are denied an answer we become highly curious, especially about the age of women. So it is with this question of the age of the universe. Here again a fierce battle has raged.

Those who say the earth is very, very old have many arguments they advance to substantiate their claims, based on physical evidence from observation of the universe. Others claim, from other lines of argument, that the earth is relatively young. On the basis of certain Biblical statements it is even printed in some Bibles that the creation originated in 4004 B.C. Some have even traced it further to October 26th, 4004 B.C., at 9:00 a.m. (Seriously!) But, the fact is, the Bible does not say anything about the age of the earth. It simply makes no comment. It is important to remember that Bishop Ussher, who is responsible for that 4004 B.C. figure, was an Irishman who lived in the 17th century and was neither an apostle nor a prophet – his word was not inspired.

The Bible suggests in many places that time is an elusive mystery to man, and modern science is beginning to confirm that. The 90th Psalm says, “For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past,” (Psalms 90:4a KJV). And in Second Peter we read, “with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day,” (2 Peter 3:8b RSV).

The Bible puts this whole matter of time and of the age of the earth beyond man’s knowledge. Jesus said to his disciples. “It is not for you to know the times or seasons which the Father has fixed by his own authority,” (Acts 1:7b RSV). This suggests that all the clocks with which we try to determine age may be really basically wrong, whether they are scientific clocks, or those supposedly derived from Scripture. We do not know, and increasingly we are discovering that we do not know how old the earth is. But that is exactly what the Bible says.

We come to the LAST big QUESTION. “Who is behind all this?” The Bible answers with but a single word, “God.” There you have what is essentially the boundary of life and thought, as far as man is concerned – God. Man can never escape the thought of God. There has never been a society or civilization discovered on the face of the earth that does not have a concept of God and of worship. Man is an irrepressibly worshipful being. He must worship something, and the reason for this is very simple. It is because everything around him and within him speaks of the existence of another personality, a Being of great intelligence, power and wisdom who must exist somewhere. Man can never escape that thought.

It is only by the power of rationalization – that evil power of self-deceit that man can ever rid himself of the idea of God. That is why it is usually those who, by virtue of learning, have trained themselves to a high degree of skill in rationalization who adopt an atheistic position. Man left to himself, observing the universe as it is, comes to an inescapable conviction that God exists: that behind all the design, the marvel and wonder of the universe, lies a great mind and personality and heart. Even when we rationalize it all away, exercising the strange and evil capacity of the human mind to invent rationales to support the desires of the will, and thus eliminate God from our thinking, nevertheless we encounter experiences and times when suddenly HE breaks through again. That is what the many spiritually oppressive tyrannical systems of government have discovered. They cannot legislate God out of existence for he keeps breaking through into the life of that nation from time to time, even though they seek to deny it.

In one of Robert Browning’s poems there is a young journalist who comes and tells a bishop that he has decided to put aside all the things he has been taught about God and think the whole matter through from the standpoint of his knowledge, his education, and his observation. The bishop tells him that as a young man he too had tried the same thing. He had categorized all the knowledge he possessed and had worked out a philosophy that seemingly encompassed it all. But then, as Browning puts it, the bishop said,

"Just when we’re safest, there’s a sunset touch
** A fancy from a flower bell; someone’s death**
A chorus ending from Euripides,
** And that’s enough for fifty hopes and fears**
The Grand Perhaps!"

Browning’s reasoning is that you can plan it all out, categorize everything, and come up with a philosophical system that accounts for everything you see. Then perhaps you will take a walk in the country and see a sunset that moves you to the depths of your being in a way for which you cannot account. Your philosophy does not cover it. Or, someone’s death strikes with shattering force and you are left with nothing but the crumbs of your philosophy. The Grand Perhaps that is God, breaking constantly into human life.

Man lives out his days, the Bible says, within the boundaries of God. God stands at the end of every path on which man is, and also at the beginning. As Paul said to the intellectuals on Mars Hill in Athens, “In him we live and move and have our being,” (Acts 17:28a). He is the Inescapable One:

Men of science explore the atom and come at last to a realm of mystery, where everything is reduced ultimately to pure energy, and man does not know what to do with it or even what to call it. The astronomer probes into space. He discovers the great galaxies whirling in their courses. He sees no observable limit to it but finds that it all is permeated with tremendous power and energy. He does not know what to label it. The doctor holds a newborn baby in his arms. He cannot explain where that life came from, what made it develop in the way it did to produce this little creature.

It is all a mystery. We are surrounded with mystery on every side – The Grand Perhaps! We don’t know even a tiny fraction of a percent of what there is to be known. We hardly can put the relative amount of our knowledge in terms small enough to express it.

But who is behind all this? As Paul said to the men of Athens, “The God whom you ignorantly worship, whom you have labeled ‘the unknown God,’ him we proclaim to you,” (Acts 17:23). This is the God whom most of science attempts to eliminate from its planning and its thinking today; whom the vast majority of people take no cognizance of and try to rule out of their lives. The God whom men ignorantly worship, the unknown God, the God whom men will not name and cannot name. “Him,” Paul says, “we declare unto you.” We know his name. It is Jesus of Nazareth. “Without him was not anything made that was made,” (John 1:3). “All things were created by him and through him,” (Colossians 1:16).

Is it not strange that though we cannot feel beyond God, we cannot think beyond God, we cannot move beyond God, and there is no way to eliminate him from our lives – nevertheless we constantly attempt to live as though he did not exist? He is the greatest fact of all, yet we do not want to mention his name, we do not want to talk about his work, we take no cognizance of his mind, his thinking, and his wisdom. As an undergrad Philosophy and Religion major, I came to graduation (ironically) with an in depth knowledge of the ignorance, the superficiality, the shallowness of human thought and life!

(Katina Press) #25
GEN. 1: 1-1 First Day - Light: In the Beginning ESSENTIAL TRUTH: God’s intention is to share His Way of Life with man. The Bible teaches man how to share his life with God.
GEN. 1: 1-5 Out of Darkness ESSENTIAL TRUTH: Light is from God and is a symbol of the “Good”. Only that which is from God is essentially “Good”.

GEN. 1: 6-8
Second Day - Dome: Invisible Kingdom

ESSENTIAL TRUTH: There is life to come with possibilities within it, of good and evil, dependent upon our choices and attitude towards the redeeming, saving Grace of Our Lord Jesus Christ. There is Light and Darkness, but the Light is Good. Hence, throughout life there will need to be discernment and choices.

MY NOTES: Christians are sadly embarrassed by the Genesis account of science. Genesis I is the key to science and nature. The two revelations from God are in need of each other. Science must bow its searches to Genesis. You do not find the study / exposure to nature - you find nature through God. (Gen. 1: 1-5) does not imply a 24hrs. in one day - evening then morning - could mean incompleteness to completeness. Revelation adds the element that science CAN NEVER find out, which is “PURPOSE”. God’s steps in revealing His purpose. He chose to do it in stages which are unrelated time sequence or time scale. God created the physical universe to reflect the inner realities. The latter od which is necessary for “Kingdom Eternal Life”. (Gen. 1: 6) - “Firmament” = “raca” verb in Hebrew which means “to pound or make thin”. I. e., “stretched forth the heavens” = “to make the Earth’s atmosphere”. The uniqueness of our atmosphere = the purpose of the atmosphere is to balance the gallons of water on the Earth. To suspend gallons of water into the atmosphere to generate gases and water vapor to make Life possible. This is part of the miracle of water. Water can appear in all three forms of matter with slight alterations in temperature. What “Inner Reality” is revealed here? God called the firmament “Heaven” - there was heavenly water and earthly water. Waters are a picture of human life - there is earthly life and heavenly life. We are surrounded by and invisible, spiritual Kingdom as well as an physical atmosphere, and from both come blessings. Blessings from the former include “joy, hope, love, power, peace, faith, etc.”. And these blessings fall upon both the just and unjust (Romans), in order that they might lead us unto repentance. To make us wonder, “Where does all this come from?” The human spirit evaporates just as water does. This is all beautifully symbolized in the firmament. God never intended death to invade the life He had planned for us. It was intended for us to pass from this life to the next without the “darkness” of death as seen in Jesus’ transfiguration. Death comes in as the great enemy.

(Mary Thaler) #26

I got back from a weekend holiday and found all this interesting new stuff on the forum! I’ve been slowly catching up.

1. I think you’re right about a fundamental human instinct to worship something. The question is always what, and whether it’s worth our devotion
  2. I do have to put in a word in defence of evolution. It is woven into our understanding of the world the way electromagnetism is woven into physics, and it has proven durable, coherent and productive of useful research – pretty much the best form of “proof” for a scientific model.

The Darwinian aspects that we have discarded, interestingly, are the nineteenth century trappings that put humans at the pinnacle; biologists no longer believe that humans are the “goal” of evolution, an exquisitely adapted bacterium has equal title. In this I actually see a humility that meshes well with my Christian faith. We need to learn to take ourselves out of the centre.

Going to read more soon. Very interesting!

(Katina Press) #27

I agree with you about evolution. I think that it is possible to be both a creationist and and evolutionist. Esp when you look at the Genesis account of the six days of creation of the earth, atmosphere, land, water, etc. Though it does not go into detail (probably for our sakes), the creation man was created/developed in stages, as well.

BTW, I was looking forward to receiving a copy of your Father’s sermon on Exodus and “The Lord’s Prayer”. Is that possible?

(Katina Press) #28

Before I advance…I want to skip ahead and share something REALLY AMAZING that I discovered when studying the onomastics of the genealogies of Adam from Genesis 5.

There is some difference among authorities as to the meaning of these names, depending upon the root from which they are judged to be taken. But one authority I came across in my studies gives the most interesting sequence of name meanings:

The list begins with Seth, which means “APPOINTED”’

Enosh, his son, means “MORTAL”, and;

His son, Kenan, means “SORROW”;

His son, Mahalalel, means “THE BLESSED GOD”;

He named his boy, Jared, which means “CAME DOWN”, and;

His boy, Enoch, means “TEACHING”;

Enoch’s son, Methuselah, means “HIS DEATH SHALL BRING”;

His son, Lamech, means "STRENGTH:, and’

Noah, “COMFORT”…

…Now put that all together:

GOD has APPOINTED that MORTAL man shall SORROW; but THE BLESSED GOD CAME DOWN, __ TEACHING, that HIS DEATH SHALL BRING, STRENGTH and COMFORT

Is this book NOT from God? God has written “Methuselah” on each one of us. His name was not only a prophesy of the Flood. “When He dies it will come” - is another translation of Methuselah’s name, which is also a message to Christians about the what to expect at their own death.

I know that this seems like one hell of a reach - yet, one can still firmly grasp it.

(Katina Press) #29

Which goes back to a discussion I had with a few IC friends about a month ago, regarding “idolatry”. Idolatry IS a perversion of Worship. When the object of one’s worship is not “worth our devotion”. As you so clearly stated above. I would use your statement as a key component of the definition of idolatry.

(Katina Press) #30

GEN. 1: 9-13
Third Day - Dry Land and Vegetation:
To Bring Forth Fruit

ESSENTIAL TRUTH: New humanity is capable of producing fruit (A Christian is a NEW LIFE). Also, the Third Day is the Day of Resurrection!

Scientific processes and accuracy are in accordance with scripture. (Gen. 1: 9) - Waters were to be gathered into an unbroken unit - “the waters covered the land” (Psalm 104). (Gen. 1: 10 - Evidence of unbroken continents (I. e., “continental drift”). God called the waters “seas”. GENESIS IS NOT A MYTHOLOGICAL DOCUMENT! It is just as scientifically relevant as it is spiritually. The rising of continents, rocks weathering away, and soil arising for plant life. (Gen. 1: 11) - The Earth is the first to produce fruit without Christ. Wickedness opposes God’s Will and the ocean often symbolizes wickedness, as it produces nothing as substantial as the Land, which symbolizes the goodness and fruitfulness of God. Death comes in as the great enemy. (Gen. 1: 11) - “Let the Earth bring forth fruit”. God did not create Life from NOTHING or chance, but COMMANDED it forth as something which already exists. God created Life by CHOICE not by CHANCE. This does not support the Darwinian principle that “all Life comes from a single force”. Rather, God created Life (in Stages) from a variety of sources and developed in very rigid passes. Three Sources of Plant World: Vegetation = no seeds needed; Seed Bearing = grass; Fruit = seed inside. PURPOSE: Bible illustrates the triad of plant life as a three-fold division of fruit that comes from humanity. Christ Jesus later builds on this analogy when He said that the “seed fell and produced 30, 60 100 - fold. This is also akin to Pauls’ division of human stages as that of “little children, young men, Fathers”. Respectively fed on the “milk of the Word, the bread of Life, and the meat of the Word. Reflecting Praise - Honor - Glory! There are fossils of plant families as Life develops according to its kind. (Ex.) Dogs remain dogs and they can only evolve into their kind. Hence, how Darwin got a man from a monkey - still beats me. Yet, all species of Life eventually gather into one unifying type. Man is the end product of God’s purpose on Earth.

(Katina Press) #31

GEN. 1: 14-19 Fourth Day - Lights: Signs and Seasons

ESSENTIAL TRUTH : The lessons learned from the patterns of the Sun, the Moon and the Stars should be written upon our hearts. As each day in its unchanging course reminds us of these events; as the Sun rises and the moon sets, and the stars comes out, as the light of the night is brightened by the shining moon - remember that this is the picture of God’s intention for those who belong to Him - to shine I the moral darkness of this world and lighten it until the “Sun of Righteousness” shall arise once again. Where does the Light come from on Day One, yet, the moon and sun were not created until the Fourth Day?. (Gen. 1: 3). I think that the Light of the First Day is Jesus. Also, how did plant life show up before a Sun was shining in the sky? For me, same answer. For those who do not maintain a beliefe in the Divine, incarnate identity of Jesus, the best explanation I can offer

(Gen. 1: 14-19) - This passage is not trying to teach chronological time, and it is not trying to show how these things happen , but rather, why they happen ? Similar to the way the course of events are presented in the End Times in Revelation - this Book, too lacks chronology but rather, sequence. The sequence I have observed in Genesis is as follows: 1st and 4th Day = Light upon the Earth; 2nd and 5th Day = Ocean and Sky; 3rd and 6th Day = Man, Land its product. Hence, the creation days are not to read consecutively, but in groups of three . Genesis 1 has several sequences of three (I. e., deity and divinity). Revelation has several sequences of seven (I. e., Holiness - Wholeness - Deity fully manifested). Life began in the oceans and not on land. Hence, animal and plant life developed together (See fossil records). Still, Why did God make? Sun = To separate Day and Night; Moon = To produce measurement of time; Stars = Event markers. The purpose of the Sun and Moon - Yet, the dark is not entirely dark - God created “stars” to provide light from the solar system. Earth’s rotation determines the 24hr. Day. The speed is regulated by the Moon. The Earth around the Sun determines the year - perfect time to meet man’s agricultural needs.

On a Spiritual Level = The significance of the Sun and the Moon are as follows: Sun is often repeated throughout the OT to refer to Jesus Christ (SEE “Malachi”) and the Moon is referred to as mankind, symbolizing the “Bride of Christ” (SEE “Song of Solomon” and Paul makes references in the NT to Christ and the Church being sealed “in Heavenly places” to be a testimony to the Universe of Great Truths He wants revealed to the Universe. Sun creates Day and Moon creates Night. The Light of the Sun is for Christ’s Church and The Light of the Moon is the Church reflecting Christ’s Light to a dark world. The the end product of God’s purpose on Earth. Following this metaphor, the Solar Eclipse (Sun darkens when the Moon comes between the Earth and Sun) is analogous to the Church glorifying itself above Lord. Lunar Eclipse (Moon darkens when the Earth comes between Moon and Sun) is analogous to the Church adopting the values of the world.

(Mary Thaler) #32

Beautifully put, although we are beginning to run up against the sticking point where I think you and I are going to diverge. I cannot believe that nature was created for humans. For me, humans are a precious part of the world, but still only one part. Looking at history, I would say that the human belief that we are somehow privileged has caused terrible harm to natural systems. It can also prevent us from seeing ourselves and our world truthfully, because we try to impose “human” ways of thinking where they don’t belong.

I guess, to sum up, I would say we are Beloved, but not Special?

(Katina Press) #33

Its okay for us to diverge. I think humanity is special in that God granted us dominion over most of His creation (as stewards not as tyrants). I think that we have dreadfully abused our dominion. What we see the “animal rights” advocates and EPA sympathizers expressing is the EXACT attitude that humanity was intended to have towards creation (nature) - but we blew it. We failed nature. And sometimes I think that the natural disasters are not only a scientific natural phenomenon in response to our abuse of nature, but also a spiritual response. Remember in the OT the Israelites never experienced their “Year of Jubilee” for failing to give the land its divinely appointed period of rest?

Hence, I believe that we are both Beloved AND Special. Not to take away from the beloved status of all of Creation. God did declare nature as “Good!”. But when He created man and woman, He declared, “Very Good!” That sounds special to me.

(Katina Press) #34

BTW,

Are you a weirdo, or something? I am only asking because it takes one to know one. And YOU seem to be the only person courageous enough to respond to such an unpopular topic. I didn’t anticipate having any response or feedback, but rather, a lonely stream of consciousness (as I am accustomed to when it comes to the Bible).

I’ve lost many friends simply because of my faith in the Word. They think I’ve lost my mind to STILL believe and cling on to this stuff. Esp. when there are so many “cosmic” ideologies floating about that are much more favorable to the humanistic nature.

I appreciate you, Mary. How do you maintain friendships as a disciple of Christ? This, I have yet to master.

(Katina Press) #35

GEN. 1: 20-23 Fifth Day - Birds and Fish:

The Heights and Depths of Life

ESSENTIAL TRUTH : By a direct impartation of the Triune Divine Being - a living creature can operate victoriously as a fish can live gracefully in seas among monsters (Just as man must have a moment-by-moment dependence upon Christ in order to function in a hostile environment (world). The Blessing of procreation requires sex with volition, desire - so that it is vitalizing creation. Creating = Blessing of God to be fruitful and multiply. Thus far in the creative “week” there is a hidden “non-consecutive order - but a triad -overlapping as such: Day 5 correlates with Day 2; Day 4 correlates with Day 1 (Sun and Moon). The first series of 3s deal with the realities of Light = Sun / Moon; Ocean and Sky = Fish / Birds; Land = Animals / Man. (Gen. 1: 11) - “Let the earth put forth vegetation”. Hence, (Gen. 1: 20) - in Hebrew it translates, “Let the waters swarm with swarmers and let the fliers fly”. (Gen. 1: 21) - God “created in stages” and produced marine life according to the fossil record without any missing link (I. e., crustaceans, shellfish, mollusks). Do these animals have souls? (Gen. 1: 20) - God brought forth living creatures. Hebrew translation = “nephesh” = soul, which indicates that animals have souls. The word “nephesh” for soul exists in scripture in reference to animal life, but not plant life (sorry “Tree Huggers”), Yet, I do interpret this to assert that animal life has intelligence. (Gen. 1: 21) - “Great Sea Monsters” = in Hebrew - “Long extended things. In the KJV they are called, “whales”. Some attribute this verse to proof of the existence of mythical beings such as the “Loch Ness” in Scotland. (Gen. 1: 22) - God pronounced them as “Good”, which means, “in line or accordance with His Divine Purpose and Divine Character”. Here for the first time “God Blessed them”. The reproductive process starts (“sex”). “Bless” = desire and choice in the sexual reproduction of the animal kingdom. Genesis is like a “Table of Contents” for the remainder of the Bible. Still, the physical projects into the spiritual kingdom, which surrounds us on every side (where TRUE REALITY exists).

(Katina Press) #36

QUICK SUMMARY of Creative Days:

SECTION of GENESIS VISIBLE (Physical) REALITY INVISIBLE (Spiritual) REALITY

(Metaphysical Form / Foundation) CREATIVE DAY
GEN. 1: 1-5 Light and Darkness Good and Evil (Necessity of Choice) DAY ONE
GEN. 1: 6-8 Sky and Ocean Unseen Life and Visible Life DAY TWO
GEN. 1: 9-12 (Physical Humanity) Seas and Dry Land

(Land bearing vegetation) Ocean (Barren) + Fruitful (Land)

Regenerate, Life - Bearing = Humanity in Christ DAY THREE
GEN. 1: 14-19 Sun and Moon Lord Jesus + Regenerate Humanity

(Church’s Function) DAY FOUR
GEN. 1: 20-23 God Created Life in Seas and Sky and He Blessed Them Living in perpetual, continual spiritual blessing amidst a hostile creation. Akin to the Ocean and Sky being hostile environments to human kind. Man’s life cannot sustain itself there for too long (Icarus Theory = If an individual tries to operate as a Christian in the energy of the flesh, alone - He will Fall; Yet, Man will drown if he tries to live in water = worldly). Yet, Peter could walk on water ONLY when he obeyed His Lord in Faith DAY FIVE

(Ed Mahood) #37

Well, not really. The “very good” comes in v31 when G-d looks upon "everything that He had made, and behold it was very good " (kol asher ahsah v’hineh-tov moèd). This is the last thing said (whereby G-d himself did not say it; it is reported) about all of creation, not just man & woman, and then He rested.

Still, our understanding of what was meant by the word in this account translated as “dominion” has been terribly misused and abused, as the connotation of stewardship is strong therein, but was (perhaps) conveniently ignored.

(Ed Mahood) #38

Or, perhaps not. A lot depends on how one reads the text.

The man & woman are charged with attending to the earth (haAretz), but the actual verbs used are interesting in their own right. They are to “subdue (KBSh, kabash) it” and “rule (RDH, radah) over it”. The former word also means “bring into bondage” and is the verb used for “rape” (of a woman); the latter in its connotation of “govern” has a nuance of oppression, at least according to Hebrew scholars.

Of course, as Stan Tenen has pointed out and we have elsewhere discussed, there may be something quite different going on here in the text than the conventional interpreters may wish to acknowledge.

Merely food for thought.

(Ed Mahood) #39

BTW, as a possible linguistic sidenote:

The masculine singular imperative (command form) of the verb KBSh, would be k’BOSH. The root of the phrase, “to put the kibosh on something”, meaning to squelch someone or something, is unknown (per the dictionary), but it could be found here. My guess would be that it snuck in through Yiddish. Dickens used it in “Sketches by Boz”.

(Katina Press) #40

GEN. 1: 24-26 Sixth Day - Animals and Humankind:

Born to Reign

ESSENTIAL TRUTH : And yet, Man is on the path of destroying the very Earth he was puy here to protect. How does this measure with evolution? We are called to be in dominion on the spiritual level, too! Not just helpless victims of circumstance. A Disciple of Christ is to Reign in Life! The circumstances are sent by the faith. (Gen. 1: 24-26) *

• The 6th Day of creation is parallel, in some respects to the 3rd Day, and like it, is a double day. It has, as do all days, an evening and a morning, and during the evening (which always comes first in the order of Scripture) we have an account of the creation of the land animals. God creates land-dwelling creatures. The animal kingdoms were made in creative “stages and leaps” = according to their kind. Land creatures are aiming toward Man. (Gen. 1: 26) - What is the image of Man? What is the likeness of Man? It certainly differs from that of the animal kingdom in very “special” ways! Differences in Man’s Creation : Man appeared only AFTER God counseled with the other members of the Triune Godhead - “Let us make man…,”. God created everything else as a single unity. Yet, with Man - Man was created by the “Elohim” (the Hebrew for 3 Godhead) - the plural for “of God”. (Gen. 1: 27) - In His image connotes singular and plural. Hence, only men of all creatures on Earth can enter into the Triune nature of the Godhead. Pretty special, I’d say! Man appeared as Mediator between God and creation. Just as Adam is Mediator between God and all animal life. What is Man’s relation to the animal world? Darwin says that man is the most progressive state of animal evolution - “Am I my Keeper’s Brother? Ha! He comes up with a whole genealogy from apes to Neanderthal, to Homo Erectus. Yet, there is no evidence that links Man to animals. The gap between Man and ape is as wide as the gap between ape and amoeba. The links are STILL missing. Hear the Evolutionists cry : Jacobson Stern = “ There is no evidence that links a stage of evolved ape to Man which postulates the fossil record ”.*

Dr. J. M. Gillette = “There is no evidence that links Man with the animal world, only projections”. Species X. According to the Biblical account here, Man has a soul AND spirit. Animals only have souls. Man was created an immortal being. This doesn’t mean that Man cannot die, but that he need not die. Like Christ who dismissed His Spirit. Second Adam came to be what God intended for man. Redemption = Restoring one to what he once was (Spirit, Soul, Body). Even Adam’s body didn’t come from the animal world.