The Book of the Lion and the Lamb - a Biblical exposition manuscript

(Katina Press) #61

GEN. 2: 1-3: _Seventh Day - The Sabbath Rest_

ESSENTIAL TRUTH: The work of the priests’ offerings were a shadow of Christ role - now. After Christ, there are no more "Offerings” because “It is Finished”. “God’s Rest” continues today and is interpreted as follows: “To cease from your own effort and rely on the work on Another”. Failure / Refusal to enter into God’s Rest is a source of Man’s Tragic Inadequacy”, that is, “trying constantly to make up in activity what we lack in results”.

(Gen. 2: 1 - 3) - There is immense importance to the Sabbath. There was no MORNING or EVENING on the Seventh Day. This is indicative of an incomplete day. (Gen. 2: 1) - the “meaning” of “sabbath” includes “finished” and/or “completeness”. I will focus on three meanings of the Sabbath. (1) - The primary meaning is that of “Rest” not weariness, but rather, “Stop”. God stopped because He was through. (2) - The Sabbath is also a “Perfected Thing” that we step into. (3) - (Gen. 2: 3) - the “Ending of a specific effort”, regarding creation. God is ceaselessly active but not in creation.

In John 5, the Pharisees were rebuked for accusing Jesus of “working” on the Sabbath. As Christ replied that He was ceaselessly working as His Father - until NOW. He was not “creating” anything. Even the evolutionists acknowledge that creation STOPS with Man. To avoid engaging any doctrinal conflicts, I will simplify the dispute regarding the “True Sabbath” day as follows: The “True Sabbath” is Saturday (the Seventh Day of the week). Sunday is the First Day of the week also referred to as the “Lord’s Day” (as it is the Day of the Week in which Christ was resurrected). God’s Rest includes His ceaseless activity dwelling within us and using (if we allow) our mind, will, emotions and body. (Heb. 4: 11) - Yet, why do we still strive in spite of God’s invitation to enter into His Rest? The simple answer is the Ego. (Matthew 11: 28-31) - “Come Unto Me” - Christ gives us Rest upon the Cross of Calvary where He took our place (in our strivings). He says, “Take my yoke upon you and LEARN of ME, for I a meek and lowly of heart” - a “yoke” is made for two. When an oxen is yoked - it is no longer able to do what it wants to do. Jesus learned obedience, that is, to do what He did not want to do, but what God wanted Him to because He loved Him. Perchance, one decides to accept Christ’s invitation to take upon His yoke, there are two things that Christ will do to “balance” out the yoke:

(1) He will remove YOU from the spotlight
(2) Enroll you into the school that eliminates “ego-satisfaction” and teaches humility.

As you find that you are not your own, but bought with a price. When you don’t enter into God’s Rest, then it is because you are still holding onto something within the ego.

(Katina Press) #62

GENESIS Chapter 2 INTRODUCTION & THEME TITLE OUTLINE SUMMARY:

*GENESIS 2 INTRODUCTION: If you are still clicking on and skimming through, then, you will find that my Taurean-natured stubbornness combine with my passionate fascination and love for God’s Word, has not given up the on the process of transcribing my Biblical exposition notes onto a platform, in which I hope to invite feedback, criticism or just quiet, reflective consideration. I hope that my notes will serve you in the same revelatory manner (No…even better) in which I benefited from, during my AMAZING, grace-driven adventuring through the Bible.

Genesis 1 focused on the divinely set forth “Foundations for Living”. Genesis 2 will take an in-depth approach to "Understanding Man".

We come now to Genesis 2, Verse 4, where we begin a new series to be entitled Understanding Man. In Chapter 1 the whole universe was in view. We were there looking at the stars in their multitude, the sun, the moon, the plants, the animals, and finally man. But here in Chapter 2 the record narrows its focus to the human family alone. Like a modern zoom lens the record focuses on the scenes in the Garden of Eden in Chapters 2 and 3.

*The Outline of our journey is as follows:

*THEME II: El - ELOAH: The Mighty One / Ruler Over All the Universe
*SCRIPTURE PORTION: Genesis 2: 4 - 7 - 3: 20 - 24
*GUIDING COMMENTATOR / EXPOSITORS: Ray C. Stedman; Ravi Zacharias; J. Vernon McGee; Alistair Begg

*TOPIC I: THE CREATION of MAN

SCRIPTURE REFERENCE MESSAGE THEME TITLE
GEN. 2: 4 - 7 Man Made - Placed in Eden: Was Adam for Real?
GEN. 2: 4 - 17 The Forbidden Tree: The Making of Man
GEN. 2: 18 - 25 The Creation of Eve: The Making of Woman?

*TOPIC II: THE FALL of ADAM

SCRIPTURE REFERENCE MESSAGE THEME TITLE
GEN. 3: 1 - 5 The Temptation and Sin of Adam and Eve: The Enticement of Evil
GEN. 3: 6 The Sin Uncovered: _The Heart of Temptation
GEN. 3: 7 - 13 The Judgment of God: _The Package Deal
GEN. 3: 8 - 20 The Beginning of Prayer: God At Work
GEN. 3: 14 - 15 The Curse on the Serpent: The Devil’s Burden
GEN. 3: 16 - 19 The Curse on Adam and Eve: Love’s Disciplines
GEN. 3: 20 - 24 The Expulsion from The Garden: Exit from Eden

(Katina Press) #63

GEN. 2: 4 - 7 Man Made - Placed in Eden: Was Adam for Real?

ESSENTIAL TRUTH : The myths in the Bible are identified as such by its very authors. There is myth in the Scripture. There are legends which are reported to us in various places in the Bible, but the significant thing is that they are identified as such. You can find them both in the Old Testament and in the New Testaments, but the writers of the Scriptures were aware of the nature of them as myths and recorded them as such. Never once did our Lord suggest that anything in the Old Testament was to be questioned, as to its historical veracity.

Gen. 2-3 are among the most widely attacked passages in Genesis. In spite of the revelation provide within these two chapters regarding, the secret of man’s sinfulness, relationship problems, explanation for the struggles of life, and how this all keeps us “grounded for Grace”, the scholars and critics maintain their discomfort with the supernatural aspects of the Biblical record. There are two general lines of attack upon this story of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden; one is an attempt to destroy the literary integrity of the text; the other attempts to deny the historical accuracy of these accounts: FIRST ATTACK: Regarding the authorship of Genesis, critics of the Bible claim that this section of the Bible was not even written by Moses, but rather, a “Redactor” who lived long after David and Solomon. This first critical attack on Genesis 2 and 3, which Bible Expositors refer to as the , “Documentary Theory” of the Bible, who claim that the Torah was not Moses’ pen, is supported only by piecemeal evidence that is completely inadequate. This whole idea has been supported by certain piecemeal evidence taken from the Scriptures. This is always the case with this type of study. Scholars go through the books and extract certain ideas or passages that seem to support their theory, but they ignore others that would contradict it. This documentary theory gained a wide support, and many of you have perhaps been exposed to it. It has long ago been fully answered by both Jewish and Christian writers. I am not going to dwell on it now, but if you are interested in it, there are books that will fully expose the total inadequacy of this theory. Over 80 years age, Dr. Lyman Abbott spoke at the University of California at Berkeley. He was, at that time, a noted liberal scholar working in this field of the origin of scriptural books. He said something like this: “ Young gentlemen, I feel that perhaps I am as qualified as anyone to speak in this field of the origins of the books of the Bible, and I want to warn you against going too far in basing your conclusions upon the so-called ‘assured results of modern scholarship.’ As one of these modern scholars, I know that these results are not always as ‘assured’ as they seem to be. My careful conclusion is that the first five books of the Bible were either written by Moses – or by someone else named Moses!”.

SECOND ATTACK : This is the idea that there are great truths about man here in these opening chapters of the Bible – his fears, his evil, his hungers are all given to us in a remarkable way, and we can learn much about ourselves from these passages – but the authors were attempting to convey to us great and mighty truth, important truth, but doing it through the language of myth – adopting a kind of parabolic vehicle in order to convey these truths to us. There was, of course, no literal tree in a literal garden; there were no actual beings named Adam and Eve, and, of course, there was no talking serpent or forbidden fruit.

What do we say to this kind of an approach? We must say that we reject the whole approach as biblically untenable, scientifically unsound, and in the end totally destructive of truth and faith . Let me give the reasons for this: FIRST of all, this approach of myth violates the integrity of the book of Genesis. Where does myth end and history begin in this book? Where is the line of demarcation? If Adam and Eve is a myth then so is Cain and Abel. And if Cain and Abel is a myth, then so is Noah and the flood . Since the record moves right on without a break into the story of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; are we to assume that these , too, are myths? If so, where does history begin? How can you detect the place where myth, fantasy, and legend ends, and actual human history begins? We have already seen in our first series that the first chapter of Genesis (which is likewise termed myth) is not a myth at all. It is in accord with the true discoveries of modern science, and, in fact, anticipates and corrects much of modern science. We have found that it is definitely not myth . When you begin this process of finding myth in these Old Testament stories you will find that it is impossible to draw the line anywhere except where you, for some emotional reason, may choose to draw it.

SECOND, this approach of myth contradicts the usage of the Lord Jesus Christ and of the apostles themselves . If you believe that the story of Adam and Eve is a myth then you immediately find yourself clashing with the authority of the Lord Jesus Christ. In Matthew 19 it is recorded that our Lord, facing the questions of the Pharisees about divorce, replied with reference to Gen. 2 and 3 - "In the beginning God made them male and female," ( Matthew 19:4, Mark 10:6 ). If you accept that as a statement from One who declared himself to be the truth, and who told only the truth , then you must accept this story of Adam and Eve as actual. The Lord Jesus constantly referred to Moses as the author of the Pentateuch , and said, again and again, that what Moses wrote he, himself, fulfilled.

THIRD, the whole idea of myth is ultimately destructive of the teaching of Scripture, of biblical theology . If you investigate their reasons (though they may seldom admit this) it is obviously because they want to square these stories of Adam and Eve with the teachings of evolution . They do not want to admit that there was a couple named Adam and Eve that began the human race , but rather, that a group of hominids who ascended from the animal kingdom and became men. IF evolution as the explanation of man’s origin is true THEN there never was a fall of man . Either man was created perfect – body, soul, and spirit – as Genesis tells us or he has been slowly developing from the animal kingdom. Either man fell from perfection, or he never was perfect. And IF he never has been perfect , THEN what is the point of redemption? IF all we are doing is moving toward an ultimate goal of perfection , THEN what was the value of the work of Christ upon the cross? You SEE certain fundamental issues come in immediately, certain fundamental questions arise, such as : Do we really need salvation? Are we not moving steadily toward a goal which will ultimately be reached , whether Christ died or not? What is the purpose , therefore, of His redeeming grace? The minute you interject mythical ideas into the opening chapters of Genesis you come into an immediate clash with the doctrine of atonement and of the redemption of man. It becomes the ULTIMATE QUESTION of “ Christ ” or the Critics ? And SINCE CHRIST stands as the AUTHORITY in EVERY REALM in which HE SPEAKS , THEN , the question is NOT EVEN WORTH DEBATING .

(Katina Press) #64

GEN. 2: 4 - 17: The Forbidden Tree: The Making of Man

ESSENTIAL TRUTH: God’s creation of Man is akin to the same principle in the operation of an electric light bulb. By itself a bulb is simply some wire and glass, rather commonplace, but with a remarkable potential. Add an invisible substance, electricity, and pass it through that visible wire, and a third function is born: light. Light is different from the wire, and different from the electricity, but comes streaming forth from that bulb. It is very much the same way with man. God made a body, with its possibilities of function as a soul, and breathed into it a spirit, and the union of body and spirit produced the activity of soul, as light is produced from the union of the wire and electricity.

Gen. 2 is the first instance in the Bible whereby God is referred to by a name beyond that of “Elohim” = Creator. In Genesis 2, God is referred to as “Jehovah Elohim” = YHWH = “Our Lord God” or “The God Who Makes a Promise”. The creation of man is linked to the 3rd Day of creation and not the 6th. Skipping ahead to Genesis 2: 6-7 - We find the intro to three anthropological divisions of Man. (1) - God first made the BODY of Man from the “elements” of dust from the ground. We may not fully understand all that is involved in these pregnant sentences about the formation of man’s body, but it is important to notice that though the body of man was evidently formed first, yet the text itself does not say the body but it says “God formed man of dust from the earth”. I rather think that has significance. Man is more than a body. He is not merely an animated piece of beef steak, a hunk of meat with a nervous system. He is more than body; (2) - Man is soul as well as body. The functions of the soul are wonderfully linked to those of the body in ways that we have not even begun to fathom. Reason is related to the brain, for it is only as the brain operates that reason occurs. Glands have great power over our emotional life. The hormones which they secrete directly affect us emotionally. No one fully understands the mystery of it. In the forming of man God made body and soul together, with the capacities for function of the soul lying dormant within the body of man. (3) - Into this body with an inactive soul, the account says God breathed, through the nostrils, a living spirit. The phrase “breath of life”, in the Hebrew, means “a spirit of life.” The word for breath and spirit are the same, (in both Hebrew and Greek). This is more than simply a picture of God breathing into man’s nostrils. This is not face-to-face resuscitation: it is the impartation of a spirit into man. As we know from other Scriptures, the Spirit is our essential nature (Aurobindo). It is this that distinguishes man so remarkably from the animal creation. Man comes into being full-orbed, as a threefold being, existing in body, soul, and spirit. It is the joining together of spirit and body which activates and galvanizes the soul, so that it begins to function and LIFE is present. When the spirit passes from the body, DEATH enters in and the life of the body ends. James 2: 26 tells us, “the body without the spirit is dead”. We bury the body, and the spirit returns to God who made it. Whatever portion of the soul (or the life of man – that part of us that has functioned within this time and space continuum) which has been saved, also returns with the spirit to God. I think it is most significant to note that, in the Scriptures, it is the spirit which is regenerated but the soul is saved.

A Regenerated Spirit + A Saved Soul = A Glorified Body.

After The Fall, the Spirit that is given to man is dead (which is why Salvation via Christ regenerates the Spirit). Ephesians 2: 1 refers to this when it says man is “dead in trespasses and sins”. Due to The Fall, Man’s spirit does not function as it should. Therefore, the soul, which reflects like a mirror the activities of the spirit, reflects a dead and lifeless nature. This is what creates the intense, worldwide restlessness of our race, the inability to be satisfied, the unending search for answers that are never found. It is all an expression of a wasted spirit, lying ruined within us because of the fall of man. But in the beginning as Adam came perfect from the hand of God, he was a lamp – and a lamp that was lit – alive in ways beyond anything that we can conjecture.

In addition, there is Geographical Revelation in Genesis 2: 8. The Garden is never named, but rather, “it flowed out of Eden”. The Tigris and Euphrates Rivers still exist (which proves that Genesis is NOT composed of myth). Yet, certain of these rivers can be identified. The Hiddekel River is the Tigris, and the Euphrates, of course, still bears that name. The other two rivers are perhaps identical with certain streams which still flow, one into the Black Sea and the other into the Caspian Sea, both arising out of the mountains of Ararat in Armenia, where the ark rested after the Flood. There is no suggestion here that the whole earth was a garden, as sometimes we mistakenly conjecture. In this Garden, God hid the secrets to help Man transform the rest of the Earth into a Garden.

Finally, it is important to take a look at the significance of the Forbidden Tree found in the midst of the Garden. The idea of Adam and Eve partaking of an actual fruit that had an evil effect upon them has been ridiculed and derided for many years. Yet, we can’t help but acknowledge the reality of historicity and popularity of the “War on Drugs” which derive their addictive and mind-altering chemical agents from the plants, seeds and fruit of well-known vegetation found all over the planet. Not only are we forced to assent to the powerful and deadly effects of these strange fruits upon the human mind and body, but certain drugs can even affect the chromosome structure of the body and pass along defects in heredity to children yet unborn (I. e., “crack babies”). This is EXACTLY the story of the Garden of Eden_. Adam and Eve passed along the deadly effects of this forbidden fruit they consumed into the souls (and Spirits) of their offspring. Yet, the question still remains, What is the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil? If it produces a moral consciousness, then, why keep Man from it? In contrast, the Tree of Life reappears in Revelation and **_had the power to convey immortality to Mankind. Unlike the Forbidden Tree that Adam and Eve tasted of, the Tree of Life is also a symbol of the Lord Jesus Christ from which Man was excluded until he could approach it the proper way. Satan baits us with Truth, then traps us with lies (as was the case with Adam and Eve). God knows Good and Evil by relating it to Himself, rather than experimentally. God has the right to relate all things to Himself. Only God knows Evil by its relation to Himself, which is Holy Good. Man tried to do the same when He “ate of” the Forbidden Tree. In doing so, Eve and Adam were deceived into assuming a Divine relationship with regard to identifying morality. Man tried to identify with and identify Good and Evil by relating all things to himself, but being a “creature” disqualified him from the right to do this. This curse defines the very essence and danger of EGO. The result is Chaos which creates 4 billion-headed Gods all going in opposing directions, as one man’s “Good” becomes another’s “Evil”, and so on, ad infinitum. Christ redirects us back to all things relating to God.