The Snare of Distance and the Sunglasses of the Seer / Part Two

Hi Jasun and John,

Here are a few aphorisms from Emil Cioran that you might get a kick out of (and that touch obliquely on our discussion):

We should change our name after each important experience.

If we could see ourselves as others see us, we would vanish on the spot.

Most of our troubles come from our first impulses. The slightest enthusiasm costs more than a crime.

There is no false sensation.

I get along quite well with someone only when he is at his lowest point and has neither the desire nor the strength to restore his habitual illusions.

I feel I am free but I know I am not.

The wise man consents to everything, for he identifies himself with nothing. An opportunist without desires.

The more gifted a man is, the less progress he makes on the spiritual level. Talent is an obstacle to the inner life.

No one approaches the condition of a sage if he has not had the good luck to be forgotten in his lifetime.

In a work of psychiatry, only the patients’ remarks interest me; in a work of criticism, only the quotations.

Not the slightest trace of reality anywhere—except in my sensations of unreality.

A book is a postponed suicide.

While men are haunted by the memory of paradise, angels are tormented by longing for this world.

We should have been excused from lugging a body: the burden of the self was enough.

Innocence being the perfect state, perhaps the only one, it is incomprehensible that a man enjoying it should seek to leave it. Yet history from its beginnings down to ourselves is only that and nothing but that.

The only real dignity is that of exclusion.

1 Like

I haven’t interacted enough with Jasun to state so strongly he is being dogmatic. I take part of Jasun’s point to be that these wrestlings and struggles with Art, with words and language, are intensely and concretely personal. We can talk all day on an abstract level, filling forms with air and setting them aloft like balloons. Some have a genius more in brevity, silence as the medium, nothingness-directed, the draining down to emptiness, solitary and singular, experienced as truer fidelity to infinity, continually knocking up against the bounds of the Impossible; others have a genius more in sinuous and sonorous fullness, overflowing and open to all, democratically losing themselves and finding themselves in many forms, giving voice and expression to plurality, stirring the hope that anything is possible. Hemingway and Proust were of a different nature from each other, and so were Beckett and Joyce. Being human, one can’t be all things. If one tries, one is soon denying and betraying one’s own nature, alternating masks and roles, and getting involved more in entertaining and acting. Playing the part of an artist, rather than pursuing “know thyself”. One may pursue the unglamorous and ordinary side of the real, or pursue the enchanted and magical, all that comes through skillful artistry in presenting illusions. I myself grow a little sick of artists. Maybe this mentality I have now is due to my own sputtering in my attempts at art - that’s probably part of it; but on the other hand, being cast out to the margins and looking in, after having played the game for a while, I have this clear view of the vanity of it, the ridiculous side. My one remaining battle is with resentment, bitterness, some anger, but these are becoming less in me the older I become, being replaced curiously by a kind of calm attentiveness which borders on indifference. There is much art which I simply don’t get worked up over, just feeling that it’s not necessary and essential. It would probably cause a scandal in some quarters to state plainly that much art doesn’t make the world a better place.

I like these two aphorisms by Emil Cioran you shared:

“I get along quite well with someone only when he is at his lowest point and has neither the desire nor the strength to restore his habitual illusions.”

“No one approaches the condition of a sage if he has not had the good luck to be forgotten in his lifetime.”

(“A book is a postponed suicide” is a good one too.)

Interesting to consider all this, Brian, in the light of your fascinating and provocative maxim 5) “We must be willing to meet each on their own terms, however self-deluded or sociopathic they might be. We will know that we have succeeded when their flaws become an almost exact mirror-image of our own. We must then kiss the horror that confronts us in the mirror.”

1 Like

Hi John,

You wrote, “We can talk all day on an abstract level, filling forms with air and setting them aloft like balloons. Some have a genius more in brevity, silence as the medium, nothingness-directed, the draining down to emptiness, solitary and singular, experienced as truer fidelity to infinity, continually knocking up against the bounds of the Impossible; others have a genius more in sinuous and sonorous fullness, overflowing and open to all, democratically losing themselves and finding themselves in many forms, giving voice and expression to plurality, stirring the hope that anything is possible. Hemingway and Proust were of a different nature from each other, and so were Beckett and Joyce. Being human, one can’t be all things. If one tries, one is soon denying and betraying one’s own nature…”

I have to wonder just what it is you thought that I was saying in my previous comment. You seem to be under the impression that you are arguing against the points that I was making when, in fact, you are expressing the same attitude from a slightly different angle. I am not arguing against the right of any person or artist to do anything at all, quite the opposite. That Hemingway is different from Proust and Beckett is different from Joyce confirms my argument that each artist should be allowed to follow his own path, whether or not this can be justified according to the standards of his day or the opinions of his mentors or even those of his friends. When Picasso held a private showing of Demoiselles D’Avignon for his friends, after working in secrecy on the piece for months, it is said that Matisse wept. These were not tears of joy, not at all. Like the majority of those in attendance, Matisse was quite concerned about Picasso’s mental health, and he begged him never to show the work in public. As I wrote in my previous comment, “A good artist will disregard all such advice and then calmly proceed to do exactly what he wants to do, in accordance with whatever guidance might be available.” To my mind, the most significant thing about the comparison of Hemingway and Proust, Beckett and Joyce is that they are all artists, who chose to write in ways that others may have found too blunt or too convoluted or too absurd or too incomprehensible until each followed his particular line of development to the end. Few critics champion the genuinely new; the great majority of critical opinions are retroactive. Once a good artist shows that something can be done, then later critics will exclaim, “Of course! We knew it all along! (or would have if we had not originally disagreed)."

You wrote, “There is much art which I simply don’t get worked up over, just feeling that it’s not necessary and essential. It would probably cause a scandal in some quarters to state plainly that much art doesn’t make the world a better place.”

We may now think of Miro as a charming and whimsical painter, but, in the 1920s, he declared that his goal was to “assassinate painting.” I would guess that the reason that the audience rioted during the premiere of Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring—a riot that was invaluable for the eventual success of the work!—was not that they disapproved of the music or loathed the dancing; no, they were annoyed that the female dancers wore too many clothes, did not think that dancing was actually taking place, and did not believe that what Stravinsky wrote could be categorized as “music.” We could say that the key works of these artists were “original.” We could also say that the artists were impatient and fed up, and that they were driven to discover new modes of expression. As is often the case, to do this they were forced to create art that did not at first seem like art. Of course, in the first half of the 20th Century, artists had the great advantage that it was far easier to offend their audience, and this made the whole process quite a bit more fun.

I would certainly agree with the attitude that much art is not necessary and essential. This is one of the reasons that I write the way that I do. This is the reason that I have worked more or less anonymously for long stretches of time, with little in the way of support or feedback and little concern for pursuing a normal literary career. In poetry, I had early on lost interest in imitating my immediate contemporaries. For years, I avoided writing prose. When I did start to write essays, in 1998, my goal was to get rid of the inessential—well, the inessential to me—and to keep fumbling around until I could re-imagine the form. It why I have emphasized the great importance of taking risks and making mistakes, and it is also why I have emphasized the creative importance of disgust. I think that this stripping away of the inessential is also what Jason has been doing in his more recent work, such as The Prisoner of Infinity, which reads, one the one hand, like a labyrinthine Gothic detective story, and, on the other hand, like a minutely focused autopsy of repressed trauma, psychic splitting, social pathology, and metaphysical delusion. Stylistically, the results of our explorations may be different. In terms of method, there is, I think, a common drive towards the essential. We just disagree as to what these essential elements are. I would never ask or expect any artist to change his work so that its style might more closely correspond to my creative goals. I ask for the same freedom in return.

1 Like

This is precisely it, Brian. “You seem to be under the impression that you are arguing against the points that I was making when, in fact, you are expressing the same attitude from a slightly different angle.” (A bit of a provocation by me.) It’s why I don’t understand argument and accusation of another being a certain way - for instance, Jasun trying to practice Tao in that way, relating to it that way, as slippery and elusive as it might be, and to us it coming out that particular way. It’s not really a matter of argument to me. We’re talking about ways of being here.

Not that I did it well, but I was trying to express that the world, the universe, is much, much bigger than art. Does the universe have need of art? All the ways of being of those who don’t practice art, or who have given up art, for one reason or another, are just as valid as those who happen to practice it as a religion. One may be excommunicated from the church, so to speak, the language of the church torn out of one’s soul, and bleed for years, coughing up blood, speaking in crazy broken chunks, and still that is a way of being in the world. Who am I to argue with that?

P. S. I have this NextDoor neighborhood app, and I just received this notification in my email in-box of a “Feast of St. Francis and the Blessing of the Animals” taking place here at a church in North Beach. I walked by and witnessed it in the past, a motley crew of not many people waiting there on the church steps with their pets - of course dogs and cats, but even a couple snakes and parrots I recall, and other more unusual animals. I wonder if a blessed lion would cease to tear the throat out of a deer.

Hi John,

Again, you seem to be arguing against some imaginary opponent, some person who has demanded that the whole of the human race should be passionately devoted to the arts and that all writers should write long essays filled with paradoxes and deadpan humor and lots of poetic images. I have no idea of who this person is or where it might be possible to find him. On the other hand, I do not believe that human speech is an accidental addition to the cosmos. The Rig Veda will back me up on this! I do believe that speech has an archetypal role to play. That this is so is not something that it is possible to prove; rather, given the right circumstances, it is something that it might be just barely possible to demonstrate. Such demonstration must, by its nature, be more or less indirect; it must take the form of illustration and storytelling and metaphor and suggestion. And if the demonstration takes the form of rigorous analysis and the puncturing of illusions and the stripping away of masks, as in Jasun’s deconstruction of the myth of Crowley, this is also a form of storytelling.

For whatever reason, people often—accidentally on purpose—confuse the idea that it is not possible for language to define or encompass the infinite with the idea that it is impossible to give expression to one’s experience of the subtle realms. This description of difficulty then quickly turns into a prohibition. “You cannot” is somehow transformed into “THOU SHALT NOT,” and there is often a weird kind of emotional force behind the command. There are some statements about the untrustworthiness of art, such as Jasun’s (both here and elsewhere), in which it seems to me that the artist is trying to get some distance from his earlier work, to dissociate himself from those styles and methods that no longer meet his needs, in order to clear out a space in which something new might happen. There are other statements about the untrustworthiness of art that are more like updatings of the Calvinist injunction against music. (My father grew up in a Dutch Reform household and wanted to become a classical cellist. Luckily, his family converted when they decided to start a dance band.) From such a perspective, art is simply bad. It is dangerous. It is silly, and it will lure you away from those things that are really real.

As I said before, I just don’t accept any hard and fast opposition of speech to silence, movement to stillness, detail to panorama, or honesty to art. In matters of this type, I have to start with my own experience.

There have been periods in which I was spiritually expansive but not especially honest with others or myself. There have been other periods in which I was forced to moderate my energies but did a somewhat better job of being honest and attentive. As a husband and father, there is only so much I can get away with! Grandiosity is very difficult without an adequate amount of solitude. There were periods in which I bounced frantically here and there in my efforts to gain access to some larger field of vision. There were periods in which I deliberately kept my focus narrow, when I would start anywhere, putter around, and trust that things would happen by themselves. There were periods in which I felt ungrounded and was overwhelmed by an influx of energies. I did not necessarily know more then. There have been periods, such as the present one, in which I have been able to give some halfway adequate form to my intuitions. I do not necessarily know less now.

Let me give you one example of how silence and speech can sometimes be aspects of one larger thing. In 1990, I received a yogic initiation from Anandi (then Asha) Ma. This was a life-changing experience, and I will always be grateful to her. After the initiation, however, much of the actual instruction that I received seemed to come directly from Dhyanyogi Madhusudandas, who lived in Gujarat, many thousands of miles away. I never met him and we never spoke. These insights or flashes of vision or glimpses of the accumulated knowledge of the lineage or whatever you would call them were almost entirely non-imagistic and nonverbal, at least at first. It took a number of years for me to begin to translate these intuitions into linear form. This “knowledge” was at first almost not there at all. It was like someone tracing patterns on one’s nonexistent skin. And then later, a form of guidance that was both more personal and more general took over.

In my essay “I Left at Dawn for the Eternal City; It Seems that I Have Misplaced Several Days,” I wrote, “After crossing to the ‘other shore,’ the poet finds that the moon is but one stage-prop out of many, all of which are syllables that have never left his mouth. But again, he must return out of the depths, with pen in hand. He must re-cross the ocean with no vehicle but his body; to do otherwise would be to violate an oath, or to not respond with orgiastic laughter to a dare. Convinced of the superiority of his one-directional transcendence, the mystic comments on the poet’s youth—he whose near death experiences were once the life’s blood of the lineage! For the poet refuses to exterminate his ‘ego.’ Having once ‘inhaled’ it is now unacceptable to ‘exhale’; a different actor must be chosen to do each.”

If it is the job of the mystic to be overwhelmed by immensity, it is the job of the poet to bring some relic of his travels in the other world back to this one, and to perhaps suggest that these two worlds are not as far apart as we think. And if Basho chooses to do this via the writing of haikus, who am I to tell him that he has not used enough syllables?

I get your point, Brian. To be sure, I’m not in disagreement with you, and again, I’m not arguing. I’m trying to see and understand. At least I don’t think I’m arguing. It may be that I’m arguing against some invisible opponent. Doin’ a little shadow-boxing. If so, oh well, I suppose the exercise can’t hurt. It’s good for the muscles, lungs and heart. I deliberately pushed in the direction I did, to try to open up more common ground. There’s something about Jasun, in his vibes, which I feel I understand. I don’t know exactly what it is. The way he uses language - you speak of disgust - his own distrust and disgust with language - which leads to convolutions, disengaged short cryptic remarks. I’m feelin’ it, man. I understand it. He’s workin’ somethin’ out of himself, and it’s of great interest to me personally. Just recollect when we first met, my own recurring themes in personal struggle. I don’t share Jasun’s thinking down into those more disturbing subterranean associations, whatever those may be (or maybe I do if I dig down deeper into myself and unearth what’s there), but being a wounded and bleeding beast, and finding that language as we know it cannot possibly express it - this disgust with words, their insufficiency, I relate to that and understand it. It’s rather ironic, or call it paradoxical, that in trying to free and rid oneself of it, kicking and punching Art, trying to beat it up and deliver a knock-out blow, to put it out of its misery, and putting one’s whole being into it, one actually becomes more lucid and articulate, more artful, more exactly of what one is trying not to become. The thorn is only driven in deeper!

Believe me, Brian, in the attempt to puncture illusion, the stripping away of masks, strangely enough if pushed far enough, I do see that this also becomes a form of storytelling.

(I just read what you wrote here once skimming, then once closer, all the way through, and of course I’m gonna read it again. I must leave my apartment now, and I’m gonna read it again later. Thank you for your thoughtful and considerate responses, Brian, and for putting up with me!)

Hi John,

We have both mentioned the puncturing of illusions, the stripping away of masks, etc. I have sometimes found that this demolition process can unfold from a number of directions at once, with each movement appearing to cancel out its counterpart, so that one’s rigorous analysis can reinforce those fears and complexes and obsessions from which one is trying to free oneself, even as it provides one with ever sharper insight into what is going on. At the same time, a disruption produced by what at first appears to be a threat can signal that some larger mode of awareness is working to upend the status quo. In my previous comment, I mentioned that I had never met or spoken with Dhyanyogi Madhusudandas. While it is true that I never met or spoke with him in the physical world, I did meet him several times in my dreams. . I was not instantly or magically transformed by the encounter. Bit by bit, though, after this, I did begin to view my life-story from a somewhat different angle. Here is a paragraph about the dream–written in the third person–from “First, A Brief Biography: Having Cleared the Sky It Was Time to Reinvent the Wheel”:

A month later, he had a dream in which he was standing in a barn. Next to him was a kind but terrifying presence. Somehow he knew that it was Dhyanyogi Madhusudandas, Asha Ma’s teacher, who was 106 and lived in Gujarat. There was some sort of an old fashioned drop-hammer contraption set up in the middle of the floor. From the height of the rafters, an enormous stone cylinder would, over and over, come crashing down on a head-sized rock. "Do you know what that is?” asked Dhyanyogi. A sinking fear spread upward through his stomach. “I think I do. Is that supposed to be my head?” “Of course it is your head, you idiot! I’ve been working day and night for the past three weeks to break it. It really is very hard.”

1 Like

Nicely described, Brian. That’s indeed what happens. Very true of the complex process.

That last part with the old-fashioned drop-hammer contraption releasing an enormous stone cylinder down upon a rock, pounding on it again and again, trying to break it, the rock being the head of the student, off to the side watching in horror, has me laughing like you can’t imagine! (More anecdotes like that!)

As soon as I walked away, having to leave after writing my last comment, I started thinking about, on the one hand, writing and other forms of self-expression which come out of one’s blood, more of a descent into mortality and manifesting more the ugliness and grotesque of being human, the profane, and on the other hand writing and forms of self-expression which are more of an arranging of symbols - like dreamcatchers - which convey all the elements - earth, air, fire, and water - which can be done in so many variations and mixtures, ad infinitum, and has one spiraling upward, ascending and finally taking one’s place in the God’s Eye. The latter type is “spiritual”, and through it one may access past lives, other ages, commingle with other spirits, write like a cleansing wind, express oneself like a purifying fire, all without getting blown away or burned oneself, and this is thrilling and healing and empowering, and for many it goes to their head. The former is creativity out of pain and suffering and loss, our inevitable mortal lot, a continual grinding down, a puncturing of illusion and unmasking wherever it can be done. Not glamorous at all, but can be extremely invigorating. It can also if not done with full investment of heart be irritating, even arousing disgust and contempt. One must come down out of generalizing abstraction and really write or express oneself out of one’s blood for it to have any resonance and potency and human impact.

It may be that the greatest reward for the latter kind of writing and self-expression, of the more spiritual variety, is illuminating insight, and the greatest reward for the former kind, the fruit of it, is compassion. One is a gift of seeing, the other a gift of feeling.

1 Like

Some of my comments became the basis of an essay. Many thanks to Brian and John for the inspiration.

1 Like

Glad to play some part in sparking inspiration, Jasun. Love the Fuseli painting. I see Hamlet has been doctored into the left foreground. There’s old Falstaff crashing in, landing on his ass.

I wasn’t sure where I should leave this comment, here or after your piece at your site. It’s an intriguing piece. I get the gist, kind of understanding it in my gut, but in my intellect, my reasoning faculty, I find myself wanting more concrete proof. Ritual abuses are some heavy charges. You mention how time-consuming, what an immense task, it would be connecting the dots. Yet, for the kind of things you assert, that’s probably the only way to get doubters and skeptics to come around to seeing more what you perceive in the shadowy depths. (Maybe you’ve attempted this before? I’m relatively new to you and your work.) In the meantime I imagine there are many who will continue to pigeon-hole you. I suppose you’ve grown used to it and to cope with charges of paranoia and whatnot have developed a considerable sense of irony, pushing it so far that pathos enters into the humor of it, and even the impending doom of tragedy. I see how this ties into how you open and close the piece, with mention of Hamlet and Falstaff, the parenthesis or bookends of your piece.

It’s truly a gigantic thought you’re trying to get hold of. The amazing thing is that you name names, like an informant. It’s like being a whistleblower in the metaphysical realm. In relation to that gigantic thought, I feel like a fly on the hind of a behemoth.

Crowley orchestrated and engaged in ritual abuse when he was alive, with all that occult mystery around it, but it’s amazing to think that aura continues, a disembodied Crowleyan intelligence. That’s where the difficulty is for me. I prefer demystification to feeding into continuing a legend, fattening it up, keeping it alive. Of course I desire this to be done not by turning away in denial. I want facts, even provisional facts, something more substantial to hold onto to sober up the atmosphere. Shedding light into the actual machinery of what generates the Persuasion is the only thing that will lead to the kind of knowledge needed to defuse it.

And even if you had (or perhaps have) that knowledge, that’s only the beginning of the gigantic task and risky undertaking to get by all the armed guards, over the high walls, down the corridors full of mirrors and decoys to the inner sanctum where the machine which generates all the Persuasion is held and maintained.

Watching Chimes at Midnight again, the vital need Falstaff has for Prince Hal - the relationship between those two is absolutely fascinating, and in the end, heartbreaking - a bite is in the undercurrents of Falstaff’s wit, an aggression, but he’s powerless except through the force of his character alone, so everything comes off with this rotund amusement, even maternal in its quality. He’s like a declawed and defanged animal who nonetheless expresses himself like he’s a mighty lion. It’s like a running gag, would be completely pathetic if he wasn’t so heartily invested in his relationships, his clever misdirections and tall tales. The pathetical is there, but he pushes through it continually (no doubt with the aid of sack or drink) like someone mired in shit and if he doesn’t keep moving will drown in it.

1 Like

How about both? Points of much interest here.

At risk of seeming irreverence this account reminds me of that 'revelatory experience of Mrs Amos Pinchot/aka William James. Dorothy Parker/ almost anybody visited by a sense of deep inexpressible truth that only deathless poetry can capture. To find in the morning
Hogamus Higamus
Men are Polygamous
Higamus Hogamus
Women Monogamous.

I am not suggesting that the sense of being visited by the Daimon’s Ur language was invalid, merely that bringing it to the surface always has a sort of absurdity. Ignoring that and being brave about adherence and the ongoing search for a better song to sing IS the brand burnt into the psyche. I think everything you write acknowledges that pivot between absurdity ( hence de Chirico) and the necessary dislocation through which deeper insight wriggles.

1 Like

Hi Philippa,

I don’t know that it’s a scientifically proven fact that all men are polygamous, nor, if past experience is any guide, are women necessarily monogamous. Higamus, however, may very well be Hogamus.

It is interesting that you connect the—very occasional!—sense of absurdity in my writing with Giorgio de Chirico. De Chirico makes very particular use of the concepts of the “nonsensical” and the “absurd.” What he means by these words is very different from what Beckett or Pinter would mean. His use of them derives from Nietzsche. When de Chirico refers to an object or event as nonsensical or absurd, this means that he has experienced it in all of its original strangeness; all names and pragmatic definitions have been removed, and the world no longer appears to be a safe or predictable place. This was not, at least in the artist’s early years, a primarily intellectual stance. From 1911 to 1918 or so, he was subject to extreme and disorienting psychological states, which could be said to veer into the mystical. In his later work, perhaps for reasons of self-protection, he tends to modulate his experience of disjunction, and the irony in these works is of a somewhat more conventional sort.

So, de Chirico’s sense of the absurd and the nonsensical is both a metaphysical concept and a direct experience. Here is the key thing as I understand it and as his use of the concept relates to my work: to say that an object is nonsensical or absurd is to say that it has been stripped of any hard and fast frame of reference. From one angle, it might appear that the object means nothing at all. The object is empty, and any meaning that we project onto it is an attempt to escape from this emptiness. This mode of interpretation would point in the direction of Pinter and Beckett, as I have mentioned, and to a book such as Sartre’s “Nausea.” This would be a logical mode of interpretation, however, and de Chirico was anything but logical. The emptying out of the object could also lead to more mysterious results. If the object did not mean one thing, as defined by the social and scientific and economic and mythological and philosophical superstructures that surrounded it, then it had, in a sense, been liberated; it was free to mean a great many things at once.

If an object can mean anything by virtue of meaning nothing, and we are free to navigate by means of associational leaps, then why should we not regard all insights as equally resonant and profound? This question may not be answerable, but it does, perhaps, return us to Heraclitus and Parmenides and the beginnings of Western Philosophy, when rigorous thought and intuition were held in a dynamic and ever-shifting balance. No one mode of intelligence was adequate, and understanding depended on the cultivation of a subtle edge of awareness. In a similar way, the good artist will create a living whole out of what first appeared to be nothing, a kind of “open house” of harmonic—and perhaps atonal—associations out of what first appeared to be absurd.

1 Like

Just a quick thought here, @brian.george51, but I wonder how your (or de Chirico’s) idea of the absurd relates to what @jjf.martel, in the introduction to his essay on Stranger Things, calls ontological strangness, which he contrasts with “epistemological strangeness.” He defines these thus:

Epistemological strangeness arises when, though I can conceive of no rational explanation for the thing before me, I nevertheless maintain the belief that some explanation would obtain if I had more information. […] In contrast, ontological strangeness arises when an event is unexplainable in principle because it defies rational explanation in an absolute sense. This is an inborn strangeness pointing us to the strangeness of reality itself at the fundamental level.

I appreciate the notion that an object empty of inherent meaning can mean many different things, depending on what we creatively impart to it. On the other hand, with Heidegger, I’d also suggest that the object’s meaning is not merely imparted by a subject, but also “given” by the object itself, its “speaking” to us (or something speaking through it), insofar as we let its (indefinite, strange, uncanny) being be. Thus, the object does constrain our meaning-making. Arguably, any meaning-making we do requires this constraint, indeed, thrives on it.

Hi Marco,

You are pointing towards something at which I hinted but only started to sketch in. In my comment, I was actually arguing against the idea that the object, because we might experience it as absurd, is therefore altogether empty. If an object were truly empty, nothing would mean anything and anything could mean everything. Much bad Surrealist writing is bad for exactly this reason; the images are altogether arbitrary, and the chains of association lead nowhere in particular. De Chirico’s art and writing is not like this at all, quite the contrary. His images and scenes are so haunting because they seem to possess a superabundance of meanings; it just is difficult to figure out exactly what these meanings are. While de Chirico did attempt to frame his encounter with the strangeness of the world with philosophical concepts, it is immediately obvious to someone looking at or reading his work that this is little more than a self-protective reflex. What makes his best work seem dangerous and resonant, however, is that the chains of association are not entirely subjective. His images are “uncanny,” to an unusual degree. We are often possessed by a sense that we have walked on these streets, that we have stepped into these shadows, that we have smelled the salt air from this harbor, that we have seen these images before.

In a painting such as “The Dream Turns”—done in 1913—for example, we have two bunches of bananas–one intact and one disassembled–two pineapples, a head knocked from a classical sculpture, a row of arches, and some shadows, with a brick wall, a tower and a puffing locomotive in the distance. Let us take just the bananas and their context. On one level, of course, they are just bananas. If de Chirico might describe these bananas as “nonsensical,” he does not mean to suggest that they mean nothing; rather, he is attempting articulate a pregnant middle ground of tension, in which an object, image, or scene somehow activates our intuition but gives birth to a range of implications that our conscious minds can’t grasp. In looking at this object that we might call a “banana” and classify as a “fruit,” we are not looking at a only a situated object, we are looking at the net of interdependent origination that precedes, supports, and encompasses it. Within this net, all boundaries are more ambiguous than they seem, solidity is a kind of magic act, and meaning moves from the vaporous to the embodied by way of an ongoing dialogue. And if an object does exist in the Realm of the Ideal, as a fully perfected form, the realm from which it comes is nonetheless held in a state of tension with our own, and this art-producing tension is just as real as either pole in the opposition.

In de Chirico’s world, these bananas evoke North Africa, specifically Alexandria, where all of the cultural traditions of the ancient world met and mixed. Even in the modern world, this juxtaposition of cultures was going on. To some degree, the head of the ancient statue, now missing its body, and the puffing locomotive inhabit the same stage. De Chirico would also have been reminded of his father’s work as a railroad architect, of the childhood travels that brought them to North Africa and Greece and other places around the Mediterranean, of the 19th Century’s grand hopes for the future, of the march of progress and its cost. The bananas are somehow sad. There is no particular reason that they should be there, except that they fit, in a dreamlike fashion. We may be prompted to think of Darwin and the descent of humans from lesser primates, or of the lost innocence of the Age of Gold. The juxtaposition of these images, although poetic, is also quite disjunctive. As we stare at them, we pause to observe that we are not at peace. Nor is the nostalgia evoked by Alexandria reassuring. While it was there that traditions met, where the records of the ancient world were stored, where new and sophisticated syntheses were developed, it was there also that the great library was burnt, not once but a number of times, leaving only a few random threads to connect us to the mysterious depths of our origins.

If an artist’s interpretation of a scene or object is subjective, this is just the place that he starts; this does not mean that his action is not simultaneously collective, or that some field of collective genius does not regard him as its plaything.

When JF Martel posted “Consciousness in the Aesthetic Imagination,” we exchanged a number of emails about the nature of the sign and the symbol, including a few in which we debated about whether de Chirico’s images should be understood as symbols or as signs. They are, of course, symbols, as JF defines the term, but I posed the question of whether they could also be seen as signs that we had somehow lost the ability to read. My thinking was this: if the symbol suggests, the sign tells, and what it tells us may be as intricate in its web of meanings as a symbol. If we would usually take in a symbol’s implications at our leisure, there may be some greater degree of urgency to a sign, especially to someone in an unusual mental state. Many schizophrenics are quite literal in their thinking. If a symbol asks to be observed, a sign may demand some action on our part, even if we are not at first sure what this is. I am reminded of a man that I saw last year in a subway station. He was wearing a t-shirt with a rifle scope and crosshairs on the front. It read, “Nine out of ten voices are telling me not to shoot.” In one of these emails to JF, I wrote:

My thinking about the word “sign” has been influenced by my many years of staring at the paintings of de Chirico. The images in these paintings, of course, are generally understood to be symbols. In Freudian terms, a tower is a phallus and an arch is a vagina, a cannon is a phallus and a sail is a swelling breast, During the period that de Chirico first formulated his metaphysical vocabulary, however, he was in a very strange state of mind; he was prone to week-long migraines and intestinal disturbances, and was yanked between the extremes of self-doubt and grandiosity, between a near bottomless anxiety and a sense that he had been chosen by the Fates. The images in these paintings spoke to him in their own hermetically sealed language, and I can’t help but wonder if he saw them more as omens than as symbols. They were messages that were intended to be read, even if, on a human level, they had been emptied of almost all of their fixed meaning.

You wrote, “So while there is a real sensible world out there, the labels go on fast, and once on, they are very difficult to remove.” For de Chirico, at least in this early period, the removal of labels was both a goal and an impossible to escape form of torment. To achieve the great sensitivity that was required of him, the artist must expect “To live in the world as if in an immense museum of strangeness, full of curious many colored toys which change their appearance, which, like little children we sometimes break to see how they are made on the inside, and, disappointed, realize they are empty.” This idea of objects, signs, or symbols that lack meaning and yet speak to us and somehow “matter” is similar to a passage in your essay. You wrote, “Against those who would stop at the allegorical definition of the symbol, Deleuze, Bergson, and Lawrence argued, each in his own way, that symbols are signs devoid of meaning—or more precisely, signs referring to nothing beyond themselves. ‘You can’t give a great symbol a “meaning,” any more than you can give a cat a “meaning,”’ D. H. Lawrence wrote. But while symbols may not mean anything for these thinkers, they do matter.”

In a letter from the “Paul Eluard Manuscript,” de Chirico writes, “One of the strangest and deepest sensations that prehistory has left with us is the sensation of foretelling. It will always exist. It is like an eternal proof of the senselessness of the universe. The first man must have seen auguries everywhere, he must have trembled at each step he took.” It took me quite a while to come to terms with de Chirico’s use of words like “nonsensical” and “absurd.” That they were carried over from his reading of Nietzsche did not make the concepts behind them any easier to understand. In the cityscape dreamed and painted by de Chirico, we are instructed to regard each object, sign, and symbol as absurd, yet at the same time they are supercharged with significance. It is they and not the artist that appear to be in control, and the artist must carefully approach them from an angle.

Once, in a distant age, these apparently occult signs were perhaps meant to be clear. They were not readable by only a select group, nor were they more than moderately suggestive. There was a one to one correspondence between such signs and the primal mysteries at which they pointed. They were not necessarily just glyphs upon a page or objects placed in the street. Each had its own inner life. Such signs were not as passive as our contemporary ones; no, not at all; they could act, and they could manifest just as easily in the psyche as in the world, in other dimensions just as easily as in this one. They would speak to those without eyes and gesture to those who were deaf. We would look at a tower, and we would immediately grasp the full range of its associated meanings. We would register these with our spines. We would look at a ship, and we would immediately grasp its connection to the Deluge. We would see that the human body was also a kind of ship. Each sign came complete with a set of instructions for us. Even now, it is possible that they do their best to speak in a clear language. Yet something has gone wrong. The Earth appears to be far flatter than it should be. The sky stretches for an enormous distance overhead. The signs now appear to be indifferent to our welfare. A gulf has opened up, and the world from which they come has been removed.

Just to clarify Brian, ( but not to diminish by a kind of justification) the Higamous hogamous nonsense was introduced not because I though it had ANY relevance to reality or whether men were polygamous but simply to illustrate that the co-ordinates of profundity for the individual perceiving them (at the time) emerge as nonsensical when translated. It was why I introduced my own work by the article ‘Lost in Translation’. However it stimulated you to a much more worthwhile elaboration on signs and symbols.

de Chirico’s ‘absurdity’ seems to me in the juxtaposition not of the objects themselves but of their evocations, almost as though he is manipulating historic and geographical non-sequiturs. Hence the sense that one has, as you put it, ‘we have walked on these streets, that we have stepped into these shadows, that we have smelled the salt air from this harbor, that we have seen these images before.’ Of course we have, for we have walked all streets…and he takes that as given by dislocating his streets and his railways puffing alongside the legacy of ancient Greece. This removal of time and space as being limited by the consensus, and throwing it open to space-time is also the identifying hallmark of what is given the name of Schizophrenia but equally is happily manifest in dreams in which the ‘quite literal’ understanding of both words and symbols serve, not to imply a universal, but a wholly personal meaning- in the cross hairs of the individual’s interpretation.