Unusually Hardcore Introductions

Well, maybe not that hardcore. Hi everyone. Figured I’d start the intro thread.

What’s there to be said? Le Guin is, by far, one of my favorite science fiction authors; Lathe of Heaven and The Left Hand of Darkness changed what I imagined science fiction could be (made it, in other words, that much more expansive). The Dispossessed has been on my reading list for years, admittedly half-finished before.

What’s exciting about a book club like this is having a whole group of peers to go through it with. Outside of being in a classroom, I’ve never done something like this.

Le Guin’s passion for new ideas and radical utopias, or even just her radical imaginative alterities –– the Hainish Cycle lends itself to endless variations of human beings, people, cultures, political philosophies and unique societies –– is endless creative and intellectual inspiration, and just keeps me thinking back to our own world. I loved how in her now famous award video she called for writers to imagine better, possible worlds beyond things like capitalism. To riff on another great writer (though, admittedly, one I haven’t explored yet), Octavia Butler: “There are new suns.”

Well, that’s why I’m excited about The Dispossessed anyway. A story about twin worlds, one a radical anarchic societal experiment, the other sounding all too familiar to our own.

What else, though, about me? As this is an intro after all. Well, I’m a writer myself. A thinker. I’m a voracious reader and love science fiction, philosophy, metaphysics, esotericism. They all link up (at least in my head, anyway). I grew up on Long Island, New York, and went to school in Manhattan (Fordham), and later, Vermont (Goddard). The latter has a more interesting story, as I got my MA in Consciousness Studies. I’m sure the latter will bleed into my reflections as we go along.

Most of all, I’m a firm believer that imaginative thinking, poetics, and writers who engage in “world making” are experimenting with potential futures that can be realized. Actualized. I think artists can be some of the most radical people, reaching into potentials and building the scaffolding for emergent ideas. New cities. Other worlds. Higher realities.

How about all of you? I look forward to reading with you.

9 Likes

My turn, I guess. :smiley:

Out of everything I could say by way of an introduction, it might be most useful to share where the idea for this book club came from.

In the winter of 2013 I was in a desperate state and deep contemplation concerning what I really wanted to do with my life.

A big project I had been working on had just fallen through…but it was a project which, in many ways, was taking me away from myself and my core passions, and which, if I had continued with it, would have taken me even further astray.

Since high school, when I first discovered the Beat poets, then Dostoevsky, then so many other great writers, I had always aspired to be a writer myself. A poet. A literary writer. I saw these as the most radical and original voices, and I wanted to emulate them. I aspired to go to the edges of the human psyche (or my own imagination) and find new meaning there. New forms of truth and beauty. And through my early 20s, I was on this path…

However, after moving to Colorado to work with the philosopher Ken Wilber and his Integral Institute, and then, a few years later, getting married and having our first child, I noticed (it just sort of happened given the pace of life and demands of making a living, etc.) that I had stopped writing…even more troubling, I had stopped reading. This went on for 3-4 years. I felt, depressingly, that my “inner artist” had died.

Ironically, the integral philosophy which had been so liberating and illuminating for me when I first got into it (and which inspired me to move to Colorado in the first place), had turned into a prison for my mind. (I believe any philosophical framework or thought system will do this, if you identify with it exclusively, which, working for Wilber, is what I did for a while.) I felt that I needed to break free—dis-integrate a little—and start a totally different conversation (and life). I wanted to return to my heart by returning to literature—whose very purpose and modus operandi, I thought, was to question systems of thought and reveal the human experience as such, through cultivating an intimate and imaginative relationship with language.

I had been a member of a local book club with some friends, and we had discussed reading David Foster Wallace’s monster 1000+ page Infinite Jest, but few people in the club wanted to take it on at the time. So, it occurred to me to start an online book club, invite a bunch of my online friends, and open it up to the world; use this as a way to break out of my doleful reality and create something new.

I called it “Summer of Jest.” I put up a website (much like the litgeeks site), came up with a schedule, invited a bunch of people, and…got a response way beyond what I had imagined. Over 500 readers signed up on the Facebook group. Others read along on Twitter and Goodreads; and others joined the hangouts we held over the three months it took to read the book.

Of course, not everybody actually read the book, but among those who did, and who participated in the groups, the conversations went unusually deep, I thought, and felt refreshingly authentic. Sometimes our discussions were random and irrelevant, sometimes personal and revealing, sometimes theoretical and academic—but the sheer energy and humanity of these conversations as a whole, and the connections we made with each other, were what most moved me. Many people in the group became friends (and have even met up IRL) and some have continued reading together to this day.

For a summer experiment, I thought it turned into something really special…life-changing, in fact. But there were also parts of it I thought I could be improved. For example, I grew to dislike the experience of trying to use Facebook as platform for in-depth conversation. On the one hand, it was convenient and easy to use; and everyone was already there anyway. But on the other, I found noisy, distracting, hard to keep organized, and hard to keep up with. I also began to feel that I was putting a lot of time and thought into my words, only to see my comments disappear down the quicksand of the newsfeed within a few days.

As well, I wanted to do more to connect the acts of reading and writing with each other: to see reading not merely as a passive way of consuming a text, but as generative occasion for creating new language that engages deeply with the literary work, while transcending it in a social and artistic context.

When Summer of Jest ended, I continued reading with an offshoot Facebook group called the Misfit Readers, while in the background I began developing a new project called A Theory of Everybody. It’s taken me the last two years to bring it to this point—a true labor of love. This #litgeeks experiment is part of that larger project, which also includes a journal/magazine, a podcast network, and this discussion forum itself… which I’m excited to start using. :grinning:

There’s more to the story of course…I’ll just mention that I have two daughters now, a 2-year old, Beatrice, and a 6-year old, Carmen. And, with my wife Kayla and dog Mooby and the girls, I still live in Colorado—in the city of Longmont to be exact, which I love, about 15 miles northeast of Boulder.

And: I’m back to writing, working on a book of poems, stories, and essays called I AM THE SINGULARITY. I also have a novel within me, which is just waiting for all this stuff to get going before it will come out.

But right now I’m really curious who’s is going to show up next here, and what you’ll have to say…

And I’m very much looking forward to reading The Dispossessed with this group. I have read only one other book by Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness—and absolutely loved it. I have a feeling this book is going to lead into some very interesting territory, as well.

10 Likes

Hi, all, it’s nice to be here. This litgeek event is inspiring me to read my first novel in probably 15 or 20 years. (I did start two books by Kim Stanley Robinson a few years ago, but didn’t get very far in them). If this book club is successful in getting me to actually finish a novel, esp. after all this time, I’ll be grateful for that: it will mark a special occasion for me, a resurfacing in my life of a long-abandoned reading style, and maybe even a return to my former sci-fi geeky self.

So, introduction stuff:

Currently, I work in educational testing during the day, and I teach classes in transpersonal psychology and consciousness studies at night. Both of you know that I oversee the IPS forum online. I do still read quite a bit, but it is almost entirely non-fiction (with a little poetry for good measure): mostly books on philosophy, spirituality, and religious studies. Some of this is for my work and research, and some is still for pleasure. But since becoming a father, and also since I started working two jobs, I haven’t had as much time for personal reading – or creative projects – as I used to.

But all this aside, I really feel like maybe a prodigal kin to the both of you – someone who happens to have wandered out of the wilderness and gotten lost in cubicles and college hallways, but who once looked much like the both of you (a long-haired, free spirit poet-type), and whose great passion was writing and literature (and music). I started writing when I was 11 or 12, used to create illustrated science fiction short story booklets which I sold to students in junior high, finished my first science fiction “novel” when I was 16 (not very good), and had a fantasy book accepted by an agent for publication when I was 17 (but which I never finished, getting suddenly intimidated by the expectations of professionals). I especially loved sci-fi and fantasy at this time, devouring books by Tolkien, Niven, McKillip, Le Guin, Clark, Bradbury, Donaldson, Asimov, and many others, and trying my own hand at Tolkienesque world-building: creating new languages, new worlds, new mythologies as “backgrounds” for my stories and novels, etc.

By college, I had been bitten by a mystical / poetic bug and contemplated dropping out and becoming a monk. But instead I became an English major, with an emphasis on creative writing and a minor in Religious Studies. My heroes were Dylan Thomas and Gerard Manley Hopkins, for poetry; and Thomas Merton, partly for his poetry, but mostly for his contemplative writing. I wrote a lot of my own verse at this time, too, winning some college-level and national awards, and even publishing internationally. Later, I moved to Sedona, Arizona, where I used to host weekly poetry-and-music events at a local bookstore/coffee shop. Since I was homeless for some of this time, my days usually consisted of many hours hiking the red rock canyons, playing flute and “writing” poetry in my head or out loud like a madman in the wilderness, and then offering some of the fruits of that at the poetry events at the end of each week.

From Sedona, I moved to Asia - first to work for a couple years in Korea, then to travel and study meditation and music on my own in other Asian countries – and it was during this time that my reading shifted over primarily to non-fiction works. During the traveling years, especially, I was able to live at various ashrams and monasteries and they usually had excellent libraries full of sacred texts and spiritual manuals, so this is mostly what I spent my days with. And I’ve carried that habit with me ever since returning to the US 20 years ago.

Every now and then, I feel a faint itch to return to fiction writing again, but so far I haven’t scratched it.

And that’s all, I guess. I look forward to whatever discoveries this book brings. (I’ve read the first 15 pages and am engaged so far).

Great to take this literary deep dive with you.

9 Likes

Hello geeky friends,

It is a great pleasure to undertake a book reading with good company. I have had some experience with collective book reading, having participated with Bonnitta Roy and a small cohort in reading a few chunky non-fiction, philosophical/metaphysical tomes during recent years. I am grateful to be making a start on a relatively brief novel while we find our stride, and I look forward to the discussions as we journey through the imaginative alternate reality therein.

As a youth I read fiction voraciously, especially tales of animals lives written from the animals worldview, and as I matured a little, preferring the fantasy and sci-fi genres. By the time I began an earnest search for the meaning of life and the nature of reality around my mid twenties, I had reoriented my reading focus toward psychology, theology, mythology, symbolism, shamanism and spiritual treatises. I have continued with this style of reading, rarely reading a work of fiction. I have enjoyed some fantasy and sci-fi works during this time, and appreciate the depth of understanding and research required to create a convincing alternate world.

I wrote a little bit of reactionary poetry late last century when the collective consciousness was quite openly bleak about our prospects the future, mostly as a personal release of frustration about the seeming situation at the time. I am also in the protracted process of writing a series of futuristic novels, which require retrospective introduction and which I have outlined and begun to construct. The whole ‘story’ actually downloaded into my mind the same night a large standing Buddha statue moved into my home, it was a powerful experience that felt like the memories of a future version of myself. I hope to re-engage the writing process in my semester break. I am currently undertaking a bachelors degree in creative media as a mature entry student at JCU Cairns, Australia. I am improving my visual storytelling techniques.

I will confess that I read the whole of The Dispossessed in two days last week, I found the story so compelling! I will be glad to slow down and savour it with friends over then next few weeks :smile:

7 Likes

Hello everyone. It’s great to be here. Believe it or not, this will be only the second time I’ve participated in a book club, the first being Pale Winter over on Facebook, which is where I met @madrush, who invited me here.

As seems to be the case for many of you guys already on here, I too am a writer–a very specific kind: a serial novelist. You see, whereas most novelists seemed to content themselves with writing a single, standalone novel at a time, almost from the get-go, I was invested in creating something long and involved but also maximally fun for a certain kind of reader, that rare reader who craves the punch of an expansive plot as much as the pyrotechnics of post-postmodern innovation. It’s a series of novels, but literally like nothing else that’s been published so far. If pressed to compare it to something, though, here’s what I would say: Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series as re-imagined by David Foster Wallace with the structure of a meta-modern Arabian Nights.

Now, as I’m sure you can imagine, a venture that ambitious and innovative requires reading A LOT of other exemplary works…which is one of the reasons why I’m here. The last Le Guin fiction I read were the Earthsea novels when I was a teenager, and I think that a reading of The Dispossessed with a group of like-minded peers would be a great literary boot camp for a writer in need of renewal. Plus, there’s the simple fact that I’m lonely and bored and too set in my own ways to do much about it except by trying something new.

There’s more to it than that, of course, but the rest will unspool as we go.

Jeff C.

8 Likes

Hello everyone.

Everyone is doing such great, thorough introductions and I don’t even really know what to say about myself. I’m slightly caffeinated but perhaps not enough yet to write a coherent story of myself and my interests.
I grew up in the beautiful Ohio Valley(one of the most beautiful places in the world, in my opinion, but probably more on that later) in Louisville, Kentucky. I had a pretty idyllic childhood living next to and occasionally inside of a creek. I got dirty a lot. There were animals. It was great.
I went to college also in Bloomington, Indiana, at Indiana University, a few hours north of where I grew up. The hills and the trees know me and I know them. I miss it very much. I want to go back soon. Right now I’m living in Orlando, Florida and I’d rather not talk about it, thank you very much.
While I was college I studied Anthropology, mostly cultural and archaeological, with minors in East Asian Studies and Religious Studies. I have deep interest in Shinto. I also know a heck of a lot about North Korea. Strange what you get interested in when you dive into studies. Sometimes what you like ends up surprising you.
Beyond that I’m really well acquainted with European folklore and belief, particularly of devic beings. I’ve written a bit about that, and intend to do more. I also love the paranormal and metaphysics, a bit of philosophy, ecology, mysticism, etc. Spiritually I’m a Baha’i and that informs quite a bit of my worldview and where I see humanity heading. I’m also a poet, though I don’t write as much as I should or used to. Same with reading. I was an avid reader growing up and in my college years but since graduating–I’m 25 now–I’ve trailed off a bit. I’m hoping facilitating Lit Geeks can help me get back into a good rhythm of creativity and learning.
Ursula K Le Guin has been my favorite author since as long as I can remember. I’ve tried reading the Dispossessed a few times but always stop about half way through. So I’m looking forward to finally finishing it. “Finish it.”–The Fountain is one of my favorite movies, as well.

What else?

I love cats, and I’m a pretty good cook. I really love coffee and I actually really enjoy people, especially little kids because they have a wondrous and imaginative way of encountering the world. I think we should interact with all kinds people to get the richest experience we can out of our lives—all ages, races, religions, socio-economic backgrounds, etc. If you only stick to people that think like you, even intellectuals, life becomes bland quickly. I hope this platform can become a place that has a lot of different views and backgrounds to make all of our experiences deeper and more significant.

I’m looking forward to digging in. See you guys between the lines.

6 Likes

The Dispossessed is her greatest work. Her high water mark, if you might say. You will find it to be hard to read and very rewarding at the same time. It will change you.

Let me know when you have finished Chapter One… And we will start our discussion…

2 Likes

I have re-read chapter one, and taken some quotes from the text, as well as beginning to express some thoughts about the context and content of the story so far. There is a lot of information and inference packed into the narrative, I admire LeGuin’s capacity for remaining succinct in expressions while traversing such profound territory. It is helping me to see the world we take for granted with fresh eyes.

4 Likes

I am a voracious reader, which started around the age of 10. I found myself listening to a TV show. A guy in black tights in a graveyard was talking to a skull. I was riveted. Alas poor Yorick, I knew him once, Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most sweet fancy-

Those words put me into a trance. I found out it was a play called Hamlet by William Shakespeare of England. I was impressed. When my parents asked me what I wanted for Christmas I said," I want the complete works of Shakespeare." I lived in a working class suburb in Texas and most boys my age were not asking for the complete works of Shakespeare. I was very weird. It was to my parents credit that the got if for me. They interfered with my development in almost every way except they never bothered to wonder what I was reading. Because they themselves had little interest in books I could escape and read just about anything without being bothered. Lady Chatterley’s Lover, Our Lady of the Flowers, The Brother’s Karamazov, War and Peace, all of these big fat novels and just about every play I could get my hands on I devoured. After memorizing huge chunks of Shakespeare and enjoying the sound of it in my body I decided that I was going to go to New York and become an actor. And I did. But that’s a long story-

About books. I live in New York a few blocks from one of the largest used bookstores in the world and I am there almost everyday, spending almost all my money on books. My tiny apartment is filled with books. I don’t really read books anymore, I inhale them. Just opening the book and smelling it gives me a high. I am I realize a bit of an addict. So it is with great pleasure that I can share this shameful secret with others who are also hooked on books.

When I was playing football my twelfth year, I had a back injury that was very serious. I wore a back brace and endured terrible pain for three years, during my recovery. I really got into reading to escape a depressing childhood. During that period I was told if I was in great pain I could go to the cabinet in the bathroom and get a bottle of pills. It contained morphia, a derivative of morphine. So one day, when it really hurt, I took one of those pills. And yes it stopped the pain. But it also prevented me from reading. I found the words blurring and my body space got diffuse and I felt that I was floating to the ceiling.

So I gave up the drug so that I could read with full comprehension. For me it was more important that I could escape a harsh reality by entering into an imaginal landscape. Reading has always been my drug of choice. I discovered in my reading that my personal suffering was somehow widely shared by other people and this had an intoxicating effect much more powerful than morphia. Morphia, how I love that word.

Anyway I am a visionary type, prone to OOBE’s, am an active lucid dreamer and so spend much effort trying to sort out self and world(s). I am what you could call a sex writer. I have written an unpublished novel (lots of sex and violence) and I wonder about how to get another project off the ground. So I expect that our reading group will be a catalyst for an extraordinary learning event for each of us and all of us. Thanks to those who have sponsored this event!

7 Likes

Bruce, that’s a fascinating story. And how interesting that your journey into the mystical, philosophical, and sacred is looping back, at least for now, into science fiction and poetry…like a self reawakening.

It’s amazing how our inner lives of reading can reflect, and intertwine with, our outer lives of travel and relationships and so on. I wonder what this bodes for you. Within months, will you be dancing in the cubicles and college hallways of your life, with your flute and bare chest, whooping lyrically? There’s no telling!

But seriously, I really appreciate you entering this little bubble of literary space.

I think my favorite writers are most intimate with the philosophical, the mystical, and the sacred, even if they express it in wildly different ways and combine it with all kinds of other material. At some point, too, languages bleed into one another, hemispheres synchronize, and some new reality comes into focus. This is an especially sweet spot, and Ursula goes there, I think. I’m very curious where our conversations here will go.

3 Likes

HI! I know Marco from many years ago at Integral Institute, so I am also an Ken Wilber fan. I left I-I in 2006 to pursue doctoral studies, and I graduated in 2014. Over the years I sort of became disenchanted with Integral… in part because of what I was learning about human development (what I view as a more accurate and nuanced view than the one advanced by Wilber) and in part because of what I was seeing in the community. A lot of arrogance and superiority coupled with an undercurrent of shame.

However, I never really lost my idealistic streak and have always continued to admire the root impulse of seeking to create a better world, a better self, better relationships, etc. I think I’ve just widened my view.

Anyway, just sharing how I resonate with Marco’s explanation of his initial motivation… models as prisons…

I was particularly excited to join this round of book club because I love sci-fi and fantasy and have not read LeGuin. After so many years of academic reading I’m excited to read something that is more fun and more inspiring.

5 Likes

Hi everyone - I have so many books going simultaneously at the moment, it will be nice to set aside time for a collaborative group read. I’m currently working my way through the 52-volumes of the collected works of George MacDonald–literary grandfather to many of the Inklings (tolkein, lewis etc.), as well as the Uniform Editions of James Hillman and Henry Corbin’s ‘Spiritual Body and Celestial Earth.’ I’m a psychologist with a long-standing interest in philosophy, particularly ancient philosophy ala Parmenides, Empedocles, Plato and the neo-Platonic tradition.

3 Likes

Hi everybody! I’m Tehlor (like Taylor) and I was a member of the Class of Jest 2013 referenced in Marco’s bio :slight_smile: I definitely shared the feeling that SoJ came along at a pivotal point in my life - I had a 6 month old baby and was floundering in a bit of an identity quagmire. Through the book itself and the revealing conversations it inspired I found myself darkening the outlines of myself I had begun to fear were fading away. It was my first foray into group reading, and it’s since become a pretty indispensable part of my life, so I’m glad to be a part of this group and this read!

Personally, I’m an ungraduated autodidact with a lifelong passion for writing and reading. I started with poetry, which will always be my first love, I think. From there I wrote some essays and short fiction, and the last couple of years have been spent on novels and learning the ins and outs of publishing. I was an inner-city after school program director for a few years, which helped me discover my passion for advocating racial and cultural diversity in children’s literature. I’m an introverted, incredibly sensitive person by nature, so the daily ins-and-outs of teaching in such a difficult setting were starting to wear me down. Last year I transitioned to pursuing writing and advocacy full time while raising my little one. My third novel is currently being considered by a very successful literary agent, so as of now I spend a lot of time refreshing my email inbox :smile:

Looking forward to the read, and to getting to know all of you.

3 Likes

Your confession comes deeply appreciated! Love your participation here with us, Glistening. So glad you’re joining us! That enthusiasm will go a long way for a book that, while it isn’t short, is certainly philosophically challenging.

I’m really looking forward to hearing about your novels, if you’d like to share with us that storytelling process. Also, anticipating hearing how The Dispossessed was so compelling for you!

@cpcasuse7 – I’ll have to check out George MacDonald sometime. Welcome to Infinite Conversations! Do let me know how you’re liking Corbin’s work. I’ve been meaning to dig into it for quite some time. At the moment, I’ve only experienced Corbin vicarious through Cheetham’s excellent All the World and Icon and The World Turned Inside Out.

I guess the fact that the pdf only has 185 pages is deceptive, makes the story seem shorter than the hardcopy which has over 300! at any rate, I do find the writing style concise - and the analogies tight - it is indeed a mine of gems. I am gradually unpacking some insights into where I think the author is pointing, and what I think she is basing some aspects of her narrative on. More next week :wink:

3 Likes

Corbin’s work is pretty extraordinary thus far - I’ve read ‘Alone with the Alone,’ and ‘The Man of Light in Iranian Sufism.’ His work seems like a metaphysical extension of what Jung tried to get at in his work. And, of course, Corbin is something liminal to Jung and Hillman. Cheetham’s work on Corbin is really quite excellent, isn’t it!?

2 Likes

Just want to say how much I’m enjoying these introductions. When you launch something like this, you have no idea who is really going to show up and what they’re going to bring to it. It’s gratifying to see both old and and new faces (to me). And, though we’re barely a few days in and haven’t even begun discussing the book proper, I’m feeling optimistic…and relieved :sweat_smile:

@katie_heikkinen – What was the subject of your dissertation? Are you teaching now? It’s wonderful that you’re here!

@jcalz216 – I’m hoping one day we get to see some of The Scissor Man. Also, thought I’d mention that, not yet, but maybe sometime next year, a couple of us have been thinking of creating some form of peer-to-peer writing workshop in this space, since not too many writers I know are eager to spend tens of thousands on an MFA with dubious job or publication prospects to follow. It will take some time to get something like that together, but just putting the idea out there…

@gdeepwater – I think you’ve outgeeked us all and we haven’t even truly begun! I’ve read the first couple chapters and yes, totally agree, there is a lot packed into each page. I’m having the same experience you mention of seeing the world we take for granted with fresh eyes. (Accumulating underlined passages and notes; holding my tongue…)

@johnnydavis54 – Very glad to see you here. I’ve enjoyed your stories on Facebook. I’m curious, too, about your novel. A couple of us here (including @tehlorkay) read Dhalgren (Samuel R. DeLany) last year in offshoot book club from the Infinite Jest group. It was…a difficult book. But it affected me deeply. (I want to read it again; it deserves a lot more discussion than we gave it.) In any event, it sounds like your novel (“lots of sex and violence”) might be in a similar universe. Morphia.

@samiyam44 and @cpcasuse7 – Very nice to meet you both! It sounds like your interests are nicely aligned with the direction we’re going…

Just one request for everyone. If you want to customize your handle (e.g., mine is @madrush), now would be a good time to do it, that way if anyone wants to mention you or invite you to a topic, they can refer to a memorable name and past mentions won’t get broken. The forum automatically created your handle based on your email address, so if you want something different just go into your profile and change it.

As well, I would suggest you add your real name (or a fictional real name…but something other than the handle), which will appear on your “user card,” so we have some degree of standard personal identity by which to get to know each other. I think this will help the overall sense of community going forward.

Lastly, let me point out that I’ve created a sub-category (under the litgeeks category) specifically to discuss The Dispossessed. This way, future books can each have their own sub-category, which will keep the discussions neat and focused, while we still have the general litgeeks category (along with the others) for broader topics.

And one more thing: Did you know this forum software lets you create “spoiler alerts”? If you don’t want to divulge some bit of information that might ruin a fellow reader’s delicious sense of suspense, just use a spoiler tag like this: [spoiler]Hidden text here[/spoiler]. And you get this:

The butler did it! In the study! With a candlestick!

That’s all for now! @Jeremy, @natalie, and I will be doing a Google hangout tomorrow night (Saturday 12/5) to begin discussing the book (chapters 1–3). If anyone wants to join us (at least for some part of it—we still need to work out the logistics for handling meet-ups with larger groups), just check your email. I’ll be sending out an update later today. Ta-ta!

2 Likes

@madrush My dissertation title was “The development of social perspective coordination skills in grades 3-12.” I did a (cross-sectional) developmental study of how kids come to understand that others have different opinions than they do, and how people are influenced by things to think, feel, and behave the way they do.

I did not pursue an academic career. I really didn’t publish enough during my time as a student to have good prospects, and I wasn’t willing to move to the middle of nowhere for a crappy faculty position. So far I have stayed at HGSE doing work primarily with Bob Kegan. So I am teaching now, but as the instructor for an online course where he is the (virtual, pre-recorded) faculty member.

It’s funny; I noticed a lot of people say they are writers. I suppose I am a writer, too, in that I get paid to write! (either to write course materials when I design online courses, or feedback to students when I teach, or I actually also write research reports on organizational development topics). But I wouldn’t have said that about myself. Perhaps I should own it a bit more. I am a non-fiction writer :wink:

2 Likes

Ok, I did the change of user name thing - just logging this comment to set that in place :sunny: