Visionary Voices Read Aloud - Milton, Book 5 - March 25, 2020

Recorded 25 March 2020

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to our session today. Thanks, @Geoffrey_Edwards!

1 Like

As we were saying goodbye today, the title of this Wordsworth poem came to mind…

Thanks for a great chance to hang out in paradise, y’all.

The world is too much with us; late and soon,

Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;—

Little we see in Nature that is ours;

We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!

This Sea that bares her bosom to the moon;

The winds that will be howling at all hours,

And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers;

For this, for everything, we are out of tune;

It moves us not. Great God! I’d rather be

A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;

So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,

Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;

Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;

Or hear old Triton blow his wreathèd horn.

4 Likes

Thank you, Heather, for the Wordsworth. Our rehearsal was a lot of fun and as I get ready to go out into the desolate streets of Manhattan on a cold, gray day, I am enjoying the feeling of being in multiple worlds at once. So many odd words Milton uses, delicious to say out loud. Thanks to all of us and look forward to the next rehearsal.

3 Likes

I used to know this one by heart. Such an accomplished poet, he makes it look so easy, and his rhythms are so natural. Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

And natural rhythms and is there anything else about rhythms?

Catching rhythms and reflecting upon cultures both high and low versions of culture. Erin might ask, " How do you make the cut?"

Is there a relationship between what these excellent performers are performing-

and what those of us rehearsing Milton’s epic are doing?

A rhythmic power seems to hold culture(s) together that the abiotic, algorithm of our digitized social world may be disrupting. Can we do both analogue and digital and know the difference that makes a difference?

I imagine this is what we might be up to as we try to move beyond our flat screens and use the mind/voice to touch the other on the other side-

through the looking glass…

And I wonder about Stravinsky and lineage and the rehearsal we had yesterday as Adam and Eve and the Angels and Satan and the actors try to create a shared reality?

1 Like

This poem is perfectly relevant to me right now and resonates with the pleroma I am homing in on, as we all might be. I read it as a lament for the lost magic-mythic pleroma which has been forsaken by the emergent deficient mental-rational, along with an incipient critique of the latter by a latent integral consciousness.

I would ask, where are our hearts now and how do we recover them? I believe we may find them in the vibrant voices of these poems!

1 Like

I am trying to remember the last rehearsal for the Milton Book Five but am not recalling much. There was a sense of a movement as the four participants worked with voice, shared rhythms, and an emerging feel for a comparative poetics. I imagine that when the video is made public I can review the rehearsal and take a meta-perspective on the possible evolution of our fragile and easily disrupted knowledge community. I hope that the recording process is not caught in black hole. I worry about that. How poor are we that have not patience.Without immediate feedback I lose my sense of a shared reality and my motivation is lessened. How long oh Lord must we wait? Beauty… beauty… beauty… is vanishing away.

1 Like

https://zoom.us/rec/play/75ctdbv8_Dg3GdDHuQSDCvYtW43uKP2s0yUa_qVZmk_kUXFSNlqvM-RGYOtykBSF_8ygqCd3uJHge_SP

Good morning John. Pardon any delay. As mentioned, working from home and the world-flux has us in a tizzy. Thanks for bringing this up. All I can offer is a temp. recording link at this time. As always, your supposed “impatience” is greatly appreciated…I see it as a gentle reminder.

Edit: link unavailable; use Vimeo link in first post

1 Like

Thanks, Doug, and deep bows for your ongoing attention to the tech which I have yet learned how to master. I look forward to reviewing this rehearsal and find the patterns that connect.

1 Like

The link didn’t work. I’ll try again later. Thanks.