"You too are this sky..." (Winter Poem, 1944)

To begin with a seasonal poem, written by Jean Gebser in 1944:

The shining winter sky
is close enough to touch;
and you too are this sky
No reason to distinguish.
For all the stars flow through your veins.
– “Wintergedicht” (Winter Poem) 1944

Dr. Aaron Cheak, in “Rendering Darkness and Light Present” (Diaphany Journal: Vol. 1) translated this poem from its original German. Aaron comments that this poem was penned “in one continuous sitting,” and which Rudolf Hammerli considers to be a “poetic expression of The Ever-Present Origin”.

A fitting way, then, to begin our reading. Aaron writes:

Like Rilke’s ‘intimate skies’, the expanse of the universe is so close – so present to one’s being – that any rigid division between internal and external, self and universe, is dissolved. Hence ‘there is no reason to distinguish’, for it is precisely this division of experience into near and far, inside and outside – in short, into subject-object duality – that prevents us from opening up into the stream of appearances and allowing its surging origins to course through our beings.

How does this poem strike you? You can read the full essay here on Rubedo Press.

5 Likes

ooooh love this poem, thank you for sharing it, it speaks directly and literally to my own experience having been a sky gazer / star watcher from the moment I could look up, I always knew I was there with the stars and they with me. Now I am learning that our cultural myths and memes are truly rooted in the sky. What more absorbing vista gave birth to ancient stories and science? Which continue to run in our veins as our myth:religion:archetypes.

3 Likes

Hi Donna! That’s lovely. I’m a stargazer, too!

Wait till’ we get to the Minoan prince in EPO to discuss the shift from the magic-to-mythic structure of consciousness. I feel this may yield some insight…

2 Likes