Generations III

Hi there,

so I was thinking if you want to follow the track “metaphysics/Piaget/Gebser/history” and link it up to the expansion of operational chains I’d suggest this summary of Descola’s anthropological ideas on cosmologies and a section of Hallpike in which he talks about abstraction and its boundaries in “primitive thought” (as the book is also titled, as attached, 4 pages)

http://aotcpress.com/articles/anthropological-cosmochemistry/

But this is just a suggestion.

@Barrett: “loss of purpose” - it seems less that there is no but that it is unevenly distributed these days! :slight_smile:

Best

Davor

3. Christopher R. Hallpike - The Foundations of Primitive Thought - 170-174.pdf (584 KB)

···

Am Fr., 19. Apr. 2019 um 23:19 Uhr schrieb Barrett Avner via Infinite Conversations infiniteconversations@discoursemail.com:

Thank you. I’ve been out of town recording, so if I’ve been absent I apologize. Trying to catch up on some of the reading. I’d love to read the Muhlmann book in its entirety but it’s difficult to find and very expensive. The Notre Dame burning has me thinking a lot about the event as a means of rectifying a new metaphysics. I think the event and widespread political exhaustion could help point us in a new direction. Heidegger’s fifth causal qhality of technology, it’s property of revealing, is ushering us into a place where we have to react “now”. It’s its own form of embedded and guided survival instinct and one that may not seem natural, but should be taken as such. In a time when people seem very interested in planning because of a loss of purpose is just the moment planning and guidence may be most necessary? It’s like being a firefighter on standby, waiting for the next dry brush fire, knowing it will happen, roughly around what time a year it will happen, but not knowing exact logistical details.

Visit Message or reply to this email to respond to john davis, T J Williams, Douglas Duff, Davor Löffler, Barrett Avner.

Sent by:

Mindful AI (bot)

Need assistance? Email: mindful@infiniteconversations.com

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

4 Likes