Mythopoetics

I read Zachary’s paper, and also listened to the remainder of the dialogue. I think it’s interesting that Zach & co are trying to articulate a kind of counter-counter-culture — similar to (but different than) Will Thompson & the Lindisfarne experiment. I particularly resonated with the discussion of education and the importance of getting beyond the factory/industrial model in order to reprioritize the intergenerational transmission of culture (not merely technical skills and cognitive mastery, but character building and spiritual formation) as a primary function of the educational process.

Zachary addresses some of the points we’ve discussed in previous Cosmos Cafés such as this one: Postformal Pedagogies and Complex Futures [CCafe 10/30] and this: Cosmos Café [4/30] - Free Progress Education, as well as our discussion of “screen culture” here: Cosmos Café: Stare into the lights my pretties—a talk with filmmaker Jordan Brown [2018.02.20]

For example, he writes:

Let us not forget that the modern sciences of learning, which are ignored in the design of most educational technologies, tell us that learning is optimised when it involves sustained interpersonal relationships, emotional connection, embodiment, and dynamically interactive hands-on experiences. Based on the best of what we know about the dynamics of learning, educational technologies should be bringing people together away from screens– not isolating individuals alone in front of screens. Technologies ought to help us customise learning and provide universal access to information through useful, well organised, and curated content. They should not be the primary locus of attention or main source of interaction and instruction.

I also liked this point:

To be with each other in reality, to be with the reality of each other, means taking the time to step out of the simulations of reality presented on our many screens. If screens must be used for real-time communication, see through them and into the facticity of the person, however far away, and witness them being transmitted through immensely complex fiberoptic lattices and rare-earth metals.

This is a valuable reminder that there is a real person on the other side of the screen (which I know, should be obvious—but the technology subtly seems to cause us to forget).

I also found resonant the point about cultural work being carried on by small groups who can give it sustained attention. Perhaps we can pick up on these points in a future Café or other dialogue. It’s always up to each of us, within our networks and communities and our selves, to keep the flame alive—especially during the darkest times.

3 Likes