Review Request – Sustain/Decay: A Philosophical Investigation of Drone Music and Mysticism

@metapsy-circle and writers—

Here’s an opportunity to read and review a new book due out later this month from Voidfront Press.

I have a review copy of the full text for anyone interested in taking a look and writing a piece on it, or even interviewing one of the editors, for the journal.

Let me know if you’re intrigued and I’ll give you access to the PDF file.

/I draw circles and sacred boundaries about me; fewer and fewer climb with me up higher and higher mountains.—I am building a mountain chain out of ever-holier mountains. – Nietzsche//

//Drone music excels in creating and maintaining tension. It aestheticizes doom, opening a door onto once and future catastrophe […] Drone music is a music for when the markers of time such as clocks, metronomes, alarms have stopped. It is an acoustic foundation from which other sounds emerged, and to which all sounds will eventually return. – Joanna Demers//

Sustain//Decay is a philoscillosophical mantralith
a technaural chronicle 0f art, audio, and essays
on and on
and around and around
drone music and its relation to such things as
extreme slowness
deceleration
extension
futility/nihilism/withdrawal
renunciation/suspension/emptiness
mantra/repetition/meditation
ritual
endurance
hermetics and occultism
holy mountains and arduous tasks
pilgrimage/isolation/intoxication

…as well as…

conceptual droning: thinking like:as:with drone
repetitive philosophical/tonal/rhythmic
oscillations around a central “pedal point.”

drone music theory/topology:
xenharmonics/xenrhythmics
vibration/waveforms/noise

anthropological approaches to, and the physics of, art that engages stylistic elements such as heavy repetition and iteration, vastness, endless echoes, symmetry, resonation and humming, thrumming, threnody – cascading, en-trancing, enveloping art that rewards patience and attention : art that demands endurance to complete or understand.

###Introduction : A Circular Scaffolding
http://annihilatingunity.blogspot.com/2017/05/sustaindecay-circular-scaffolding.html

###Portfolio
https://voidfrontpress.org/portfolio/sustaindecay/

1 Like