When One Metaphor Isn't Enough -The Lives of Metaphorical Fluid People

3 Likes

Sacredness

3 Likes

Just Breathe How to Manage Your Stress and Find Your Flow

Pandemics, fires, mass protests, riots, rampant unemployment, post-truth propaganda, Presidential elections, murder hornets… and we’re not even all the way through 2020 yet.

Wouldn’t it be nice to catch a breath?

When the stress of our lives becomes too much to manage, it helps to return to simplicity by returning to the breath. This sort of self-soothing helps us maintain our capacity for empathy, self-reflection, and self-guidance whenever our nervous system gets highjacked by stress, fear, anger, and other hyper-aroused states. This practice of simply returning to the breath gives us the opportunity to pause, to expand our awareness, and to find our seat so that we can meet the challenges of our life with our fullest presence, patience, and skill.

And not only does a simple breathing practice help you find your peace, it also helps you find your flow.

We all love flow states, those moments of total absorption and acceptance, that blissful and seamless melding of interior currents and exterior realities. We often taste these flow states while creating art, performing music, making love, athletic exertion, etc. And for most of us, it is difficult to replicate — these states typically seem to arrive spontaneously, and the very act of trying to will ourselves into flow states can often take us further away from them.

It’s difficult to achieve flow through effort — but all efforts can be achieved through flow.

Your breath is a direct channel to the flow state. Watch as Dr. Keith and Corey explore this elegantly simple practice, one that can bring you more joy, more fulfillment, and more anti-fragile strategies to manage and master the outrageous pressures of our lives.

From Integral Life.https://integrallife.com/

2 Likes

For Marco V Morelli

Language-Tools-3-300x300

What,Where,& How is there a Bridge Hidden in Plain View?

3 Likes

I think environmental enrichment is important:

" Environmental enrichment is the stimulation of the brain by its physical and social surroundings. Brains in richer, more stimulating environments have higher rates of synaptogenesis and more complex dendrite arbors, leading to increased brain activity. This effect takes place primarily during neurodevelopment, but also during adulthood to a lesser degree. With extra synapses there is also increased synapse activity, leading to an increased size and number of glial energy-support cells. Environmental enrichment also enhances capillary vasculation, providing the neurons and glial cells with extra energy. The neuropil (neurons, glial cells, capillaries, combined together) expands, thickening the cortex. Research on rodent brains suggests that environmental enrichment may also lead to an increased rate of neurogenesis."

Enrichment over all, is important

3 Likes

Everyday is a Journey

5 Likes

Are you a healer, visionary, teacher or spiritual warrior for the planet?

A New Day,A New Month, A New Year And A New Way of Engaging?

For Jesus Is a Friend of Mine;

1 Like
2 Likes

Goose Bumps & The Holy Spirit with a Cup of Kindness,
We’ll tak a cup o’ kindness yet
For days of auld lang syne

Thank U John,My Friend In Times Of Trouble…

1 Like

To Be Clear about the Surfing Metaphor & It’s Ranges of Application;(which goes for any Attention Training in my Come From)’

Wind Surfing

Boogie Boarding 2

And on Land:

Snow Boarding

Notice any common aspects?

My Personal Go to when Experiencing Transitional or Situational Awareness Is:

Body Surfing

This Floating World

Row, row, row your boat
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

The image of a human life as a small skiff on the wide waters of the world has been around as long as people have had boats, and the thought that life is a dream is no news flash either. But what does it mean that there is something happy, maybe even beautiful or consoling, in thinking so?
Joan Sutherland

2 Likes

Power of Gentleness: Meditations on the Risk of Living ,book by Dufourmantelle, Anne

Walking Into the Unknown? Zen with a Different Kind of Power?

3 Likes

Can’t possibly explain it clearly now but there’s such a resonance in my life with the image (above).
Michael, sending you a
virtual hug.

3 Likes

HeartBeat

Is there A Rainbow within Looking for a
Way to Shine on!

1 Like

4 Likes

Thank you, MIchael. I had some resistance to listening to Meade…long story…but I did listen and liked what he had to say and how he said it, on becoming an Elder (as distinct from an Older). Listened to a second talk, to and that liked that as well, and was pleased I did not give in to the original resistance…I am much more open to exploring things I feel resistance to, and find almost always, not always, that I gain insight and something else I am not sure I have a name for and that’s fine.
Aging as eldering is a central motivation every day, and often every hour. And I imagine that’s true for you, too.

1 Like

Thank U Ariadne
Michael Meade & Stephen Jenkinson are Two Who are Walk-Talk Elders,I Vibe with!

Very,Very True…I find that there’s a Attending in Elder-hood
of Attunement to Being Young with a aging Body & Wise Heart/Head…Do we Remember Laughter & the Sweet Release of Tears?

2 Likes

1 Like

How to Make a Spectacular Mistake

You’re going to make one anyway, says Anita Feng. So why not go big? You might end up with something more beautiful than perfection.

Photobeard / Shutterstock.com

Mistakes are easy. As soon as we’re born, they begin. And without fail, they mark our inevitable rite of passage in the long, drawn out business of growing up. Hot stoves hurt. Hitting your brother is not nice. What we make up in our own minds is mistaken, over and over again, for reality.

It reminds me of some of the challenges of being a parent—a job that provides endless opportunities for error. In particular, I remember an incident when my son was a sophomore in high school, close to flunking yet another class. We both knew he was smart enough to do well, if he could just remember to do his homework and turn it in. One day I had reached such a point of frustration that I turned to him and said, “Look, do you want to continue on like this and end up working as a truck driver for the rest of your life, or do you want to get with the program and make something out of yourself?”

It’s all about the repair.

This was not my shining moment as a parent. There I was, with already twenty years of meditation practice under my belt, and I was throwing a completely dualistic fabrication of a story at him that was more a reflection of my lack of composure than anything else. For one thing, what’s wrong with driving a truck? And surely, there would be a great many opportunities beyond that, regardless of his scholastic achievements or lack thereof.

The saving grace was that I saw what I was doing right away. This is what meditation offers us. The fruit of our practice is not miraculously never making mistakes again. It is, rather, seeing clearly what’s actually going on, so that we can then find our fitting course of action.

A few days after that incident with my son, I was driving him to school. He was unprepared, as usual. But this time I simply asked him, “Are you really suffering?”

He said, “Yes

“Then why don’t you quit school? We’ll figure out something else, okay?”

We were both stunned. I hadn’t planned on saying that. We had never discussed the possibility before, even though my son had suffered difficulties and indignities in school since kindergarten. Now, suddenly, our world opened up to change.

To make a long story short, over the course of the next few years we cobbled together an unconventional learning experience for him. He ended up graduating from the University of Washington with honors and went on to establish himself in a rich and stimulating career and life.

While this may seem to be an over-tidy account of failure and redemption, it provides an example of ordinary human life. Many of us were raised by imperfect parents and schooled as apprentice human beings in a sometimes dysfunctional world. Whether the upbringing was overbearing or lax, painful or coddled, at a certain point we were let loose. Mayhem ensued. Which way to go? Here and there, gross and minor errors appeared.

Mistakes are inevitable and in order to live a meaningful life, we have to, first of all, resist buying into a narrative of failure. Instead, we pick up the pieces and transmute them into a fitting, beautiful change.

In other words, it’s all about the repair.

In Japan, in a practice dating back to the fifteenth century, highly skilled craftspeople developed the craft of pottery repair into a fine art, called kintsugi . The process basically consists of repairing broken pottery with lacquer that’s dusted and burnished with powdered gold. Rather than trying to hide the flaws, the pieces of bowls or pots or plates are lovingly reassembled and the lines where they were broken become highlighted with gold, marking them as precious objects honored and even prized for their imperfections.

In kintsugi, the reality of brokenness represents an opportunity for the transformation of consciousness. What a wonderful metaphor for our lives. During the years while my son was in school, I was continually called upon to let go of my idea of what his and our reality should be. And on the other hand, we also had to be careful not to give up or deny the truth of our challenges. It was not an option to say that we were in a hopeless mess and leave it at that.

What to do? This kintsugi art of golden repair requires, first of all, a clear-eyed seeing of what is. All the fabricated stories about how impossible the situation is, or how our devastations might be assigned, categorized, or clung to—all are brushed away. A space is made clear for repair.

From that place, we can find the pieces through inquiry, as I did when I managed to finally ask my son, “Are you suffering?” Once found, the pieces can be assembled. Present moment reality, along with the love and compassion we bear for it, provides the glue. The gold dust is, I suspect, the wonder of being so unmistakably alive.

Recently I met up with my son for lunch and we were talking over some old times. I asked if he remembered that incident from high school, twenty years ago, when I told him that he was going to end up as a truck driver if he didn’t start doing his homework. He didn’t remember it, and laughed when I described how ashamed I was of my reactive, dualistic behavior then.

But then, somewhat sheepishly, my son smiled and said that he and his partner were now struggling with their son, my beloved ten-year-old grandson, who had begun to develop a stubborn aversion to doing his homework, just like his equally beloved father.

And so it goes, the fragile, spectacular process of taking up what is broken and making repairs begins all over again. Just imagine the fine art of kintsugi extended so thoroughly throughout time and space, tenderly addressing every conceivable broken place until all of it is sheer gold. May it be so.

From Lion’s Roar Magazine 07/13/21

5 Likes

Early Morning Ponderings…

3 Likes