Cosmos Café [12/4] - Subversive Pedagogy: The Intruder

Related topic:

@care_save’s question “If, as a community and functionally as a platform co-op, we want to encourage mutual skill development in the realm of creativity, how would we accomplish that?” is a worthy question. What type of education are we cultivating here? The full spectrum will include reflection, refraction and diffraction.

Also, keeping in mind the intruder aspect of @Geoffreyjen_Edwards’s piece, I like to imagine Reggie Watts as a TED intruder (surprised this talk wasn’t banned), as a creative example of what it means to be disruptive without dismantling the structure, what it means to do it from within:

I’d also like to imagine a broader definition of subversive pedagogy and “learning environments” … isn’t any situation a chance to be the intruder? Isn’t any environment a space for subversive pedagogy? Can we intrude upon ourselves, reach beyond our daily set-up structures and create a learning environment “done from within?”

In tomorrow’s discussion, if I may intrude, I’d like to bring this perspective. 1: I am outside of academia and have no say so as to how one ought to teach in a university setting. I hear what others have stated but lack the experience. I will be coming into this as an outsider. 2: We have heard the complaints, the reasons for complaints and the reasons for change. I would like to know how to go beyond talking about the issue and have direct effect. 3: That, whether inside or outside, qualified or not, we each carry a personal prismatic perspective that adds to the full spectrum learning. How do we best harness individual refractions and bring this into new light?

4 Likes