Cosmos Café: Less Time, More Space, & Hebrew Letter Gestures [1/23]

Thank you for the background knowledge. Great documentary on Swartz that I will need to finish one day.

another personal aside

This noodle has “loosely” noodled with this stuff (P2P, CC, ‘pirating’, etc.) in the same manner it has loosely noodled with Genesis/Bible…to continue with the little kid Doug image: I suppose I am like a carefree lost child, content to roam about the city asking others if they know the right way to go; if not, I will continue on my search with what little knowledge I have; if they know the right way, I will follow them until I fork off onto a new path or I may just join their family, knowing that some families are better, truer than others and that I am free to go off again on my own playful search at anytime…if a family demands that I pay rent, sit a certain way, leave some books untouched on the shelf…I will sneak out from under their thumb (probably with a few books and extra food in my sack) and seek about once again. I used to call myself the Passive Nomadic…still a Nomad…not so much on the passive any longer…

One doable thing, that I may be willing to do, is to leave the video reference points, similar to the bullet points here. When re watching Cafe videos or listening to some YouTube videos/podcasts, I will sometimes take note of each speakers entrance into the conversation and the general summary (probably the same notes that @madrush is writing up quickly, with his own “slant”) . I am not reliable, as many are listened to while driving, so maybe others take notes in similar fashion and could contribute. @Geoffreyjen_Edwards seems to be knowledgeable about indexing/keywording; I am personally interested in being more meta-efficient! I do think mentioning direct links to Stan Tenen’s work,directly in the YouTube Blurb would be helpful…can we not simply cut and paste the CCafe’s overview, seed questions, inputs/backstory, references…then edit to fit what was actually discussed? I see that you, Marco, edited out an unexamined question and added the Arrival movie basics. Can there be some sort of workspace to group edit, maybe one of the “channels” under Cosmos-Co-op, such as the “Coworking Space,” to do this group editing before placing the description online? Again…this process would probably be unreliable, as we are all about the world with all sorts of personal life stuff, but it wouldn;t hurt to try.

2 Likes

My advice – for what it’s worth: keep wandering and wondering. (I spent most of my youth sneaking out, I can assure you.)

Your comments remind me of something @Geoffreyjen_Edwards said in another thread: we’re trying to do wiki things with a conference tool (or something to that effect). The base pages we have for our CCafés are editable, so what Marco did is an excellent way of merging the visual and the written into a more coherent whole.

What you are suggesting is going a step farther and may spring the limits of what we can do here technically, but I think the suggestions are excellent and well worth thinking about. Maybe they need to be somewhere else related (in something like a wiki-based archive that is obviously reachable but not necessarily co-located with InfConv itself.)

We obviously have to keep noodling about this too.

2 Likes

My experience has been that you can make deals with Mephistopheles whenever you want, but Karma … talk about being hard over. :grimacing:

I certainly have not problem with editing titles after the fact, especially if it better captures the essence of what it is that we actually talked about. We’re widely known for not necessarily sticking to the announced subject. If you’ve got something in mind as far as this session is concerned, go for it. We did spend more time on Gebser and Meru this time, and Tenen does refer to his work as a science of consciousness that maybe that’s the direction to go with the one-liner describing the ensuing fray. Nothing is bowling me over right now but we were doing a kind of comparative consciousness studies I guess.

Also: I owe you an answer (or a second example to a question you posed), so I’ll dig that out and put it down here in the thread.

Finally: I’m even more intriqued about the movie Arrival. I will definitely be watching it, and I will certainly let you – and anyone else who is interested – know, and a follow-up Café would be fun for sure. I’ll keep you posted.

2 Likes

While reviewing the recording, I misspoke at one point; one thought occurred to me in relation to something Doug asked early on, and I remembered the other example I wanted to give Marco.

Erratum:
@ 41:00 (or thereabouts) I was pointing out that each of the Abrahamic religions – in Meru’s Model of Continuous Creation – plays a primary role. I said Islam was about learning. What I meant was Judaism is about Learning (Lamed), Christianity is about Love (or lovingkindness, compassion), and Islam, as the word says, is Submission (to G-d’s will). That is the three-in-one, so to speak, of wholeness depicted by the model.

@Douggins @49:00 or thereabouts
You had asked about some of the technical Gebserian terms that were being bantered about but you also were wondering how do we transmit knowledge intergenerationally?

That was an excellent question that didn’t get enough attention. You are correct, we can’t just “transmit” integral consciousness on to our children. For one, because most of us don’t have it (and the more I look around my world these days, the less chance I see that we’re going to get it). Your analogy to prayer was a good one and it already has the answer implicit in it.

Pylogeny replicates ontogeny … a lot of folks discredit the maxim, but there’s something to it: the individual instance of a species replicates the development of species itself. Kerri Welch’s interview (and her dissertation) showed that there is a parallel between brain-wave states and times of day: delta - archaic; theta - magical; alpha - mythical; beta - mental; (and with a lot of qualifications and reservations) gamma - integral. The developmental stages of an individual (and Feuerstein touches on this more in his book on Gebser) show parallels as well: babies - archaic; toddlers - magical; adolescents - mythical; adults - mental; grown-ups - (could be, but most of us aren’t) integral. At least that’s one way to look at it.

Since the magical structure can’t grok the mythical, there is no advantage in dealing with an individual who is operating magically, let us say, in mental terms. If their own consciousness is unfolding, you could certainly introduce mythical elements (but not too many too quickly) to help them along the path they are traversing anyway. It is an time-proven adage of education that you have to pick students up where they are, period. Having said that, it is important that what we know as adults, for example, not be forgotten. That is the historical problem you identified. The Torah has been there since the beginning of what became Judaism, but not everybody got it. Why? Because it’s hard to get. It takes a lot of work, and not everyone can, or is willing to, invest the effort. Once we realize, however, that there is something “more” there, it is our obligation to do what we can to promote and perpetuate what we can for those who come after.

At the same time, I’m tend to think that when things get really bleak “down here”, someone shows up and rejuvenates the search, just like certain key individuals made momentous breakthroughs (e.g., Petrarch, in Gebser’s account) who help us along. This might be build into the process, but I don’t know enough about the process to say for sure. For example, I’m reminded of the story of Hillel who was asked to explain the Torah while standing on one foot. He said (standing on one foot), “Love G-d, and don’t do anything to others you wouldn’t want them doing to you. The rest is commentary, go study.” Much later one Jesus of Nazareth “issued” two Great Commandments: Love G-d, and love your neighbor as yourself." Repeat at a time it was probably needed. Both, according to Tenen, are in traditions who have access to the code, even if they don’t know it. But once you do … ?

@madrush @58:00 or thereabouts
The topic being discussed was “access to origin” … how is it “ever-present”? I mentioned the one Kabbalistic teaching about the creation being regenerated in every instant (which ties in directly, of course, to the name Tenen gave to one of his primary models: the Model of Continuous Creation). The other story I wanted to tell is this:

There is a Kabbalistic teaching that the Hebrew Letters pre-existed creation as we know it for G-d used these letters as the (as we are seeing and Tenen is also saying) building blocks of creation. There is another teaching that tells us that the Torah we have is the one we have because that is how the events involved played out. If other things had happened (G-d makes mammals before flying things or fish, for example) then the letters would have appeared in a different order; if G-d hadn’t put a particular tree in the middle of particular garden, there would be a different order of letters and we would have a different Torah.

So what? you might be asking. Well, if in fact we have the Torah we have, and if the rabbis and sages and the people have been reading (and studying) and re-reading (and re-studying) this particular text day-after-day, year-after-year, century-after-century, then we are constantly (and here I refer back to the opening exchange we had on hermeneuticism and reading texts) regenerating the text. We are constantly, or perhaps continually is a better word, bringing that text into the present. We enliven texts when we read them, so it would seem that since the text is about Origin (to use the Gebserian term), then we are re-engaging Origin every time we read it, especially when we read it “deeply”. Tenen has now come along and said that we don’t just have to suck in the squigglies through our eyes, we can gesture them, and, oh, by the way, it turns out that could have a more profound impact on your consciousness than “mere” reading.

That’s all I was going to add, but I forgot. It’s hell getting old; I have to learn to take more and better notes when we’re in these sessions.

2 Likes

This is one area that I hope to address in my wild, coffee fueled revelations (received an “AeroPress” espresso contraption :crazy_face: as a gift) that I have had after/while reading @annroberts dissertation. I told her I would have a response by this week, but this is turning into a fairly large project (hence driving me away from Meru…"little by little"a wise one said). My “thesis,” if it can be called as such, is that ‘sponsoring’ our elders (both in Adulthood II (roughly retirement -80) and beyond (80+) is what will save (American) society. After reading Sacred Economics and a few other related titles…I am jumping all over the place…as I am now, and as you did in the video. Thank you for giving the question more attention. I am also tying in Welch as well!

2 Likes

Obviously, I’m quite a bit of a jumper myself … although I’m going to weasel on the video and say I was merely reacting to questions being posed by jumpers :roll_eyes: (as if that were any kind of defense).

Being caffeine-immune, I don’t know what an AeroPress contraption to do to a person, but I’m told drinking espresso is better for you than “regular” coffee because (a) it comes in smaller doses and (b) it contains less caffeine per quantity than regular coffee anyway. (The reasoning goes: caffeine is water-soluable hence the longer the coffee is exposed to water the more caffeine gets extracted into the, well, coffee; since espresso is made by forcing steam through the grounds, it is exposed to water for less time than by “normal” brewing (an interesting notion, as my grandmother and great-grandfather both told me you had to boil the water in the stove-top perculator for seven (go figure) minutes if you wanted a decent cup of coffee. The spoon might stand up in it, but it was “decent”. I never tested the spoon theory as I drink my coffee (and my espresso) black, straight off the bean.) I don’t know if that’s true, but I like to pass it along anyway.

Still, I wish you the best in your endeavors … all of them. I couldn’t agree more that “elders” regardless of how you define the term deserve more attention and to be paid more attention to. As my anecdote above indicates, I learned a lot from mine. I think it goes without saying (which will certainly not prevent me from saying it anyway) that I think you’ve bitten off quite a big bite to chew. I think American society, especially, is beyond saving because they went over the youth-deep-end in my youth. European societies, in general still have more respect for elders, but as they become more and more infected with American media (especially TV and film) this is declining noticeably.

Personally, I blame the old folks (to whom I count myself). It is up to us to fight for our due. After all, it was we who raised all those youth-blinded and fawning youth-idolaters. We have no one to blame but ourselves. So in your developing model, who’s doing the sponsoring? Just curious … I think it’s a fascinating project (and have downloaded Ann’s thesis, but haven’t got around to reading it yet … I’m not as fast as I used to be … just as sloppy, but not as fast.

3 Likes

I reach the same conclusion as you above, that you elder-snappers need to fight for your rights to be seen and heard. If you say it like you mean it, we will all be listening. The question of how is a behemoth of a question. All our American elders have built an ark and sailed from this land in one manner or another, setting up shop upon the tops of hills or setting course for distant lands of promise. Rather than re-genesis, a regeneration of a solid generation, our elder gods will be playing their Sega Genesis’s and Nintendo’s games, reflecting on the good old days, sitting inside watching screens rather than watching families from the porch (And forgot about any of em getting up off their keisters). My writing will be a hopeful clarion call to this image, a sounding out to all generations to listen to and discover their inner elder. Whether believable (or readable) is another question.

3 Likes

Ask @johnnydavis54, he’s been in the thick of it more than me, but when young, we had to fight for the right to be heard, for the rights of others, for a more just society, to think differently than everyone else; now we’re old, and we have to fight to be seen and heard. At some point you start asking yourself if there maybe isn’t something to life other than fighting. :thinking:

But, I suppose as long as the follow-on generation recognizes that lending a hand in the fight might be helpful, well, then I’m all for it. :relieved:

2 Likes

I have much to say about this Shang-ri-la fantasy of old age, the nursing home. The nicest nursing homes, hugely expensive, are all hell holes. We imprison the poor for private gain, and we do the same with our elders.

2 Likes