How to reply + basic post styling and @mentions

Replying

Press any post-action-reply Reply button to open the editor panel at the bottom of your browser. Feel free to continue reading (and even navigate to different topics) while you compose your reply; minimize the editor for more room. Drafts will automatically be saved as you write. If you minimize the editor or navigate to a different topic, the editor might disappear. To open a draft, return to the topic you were replying to or click the highlighted bar at the bottom of your browser, and the editor will reappear with your draft.

The editor has two sides: the left side is where you compose your text, and the right is where you can see a preview of how your text styling will look.

discourse-editor-save-and-minimize

All posts (all replies are individual posts) are shown in the order they are published. However, there are a number of ways to follow the context of conversations.

To reply to a specific post in a topic, click the post-action-reply Reply button at the end of that post and your reply will be linked to it.

• If your reply is the next one published after the post you are replying to, this will appear next in chronological order

• If yours is not the next post chronologically-speaking, then two things happen after your post is published:

• Your post will include a new link in the top right of its header to show what this is ‘in reply to’ - clicking this link displays that previous post for context next to your reply

• The original post includes a count of replies at the bottom - clicking this link displays the content of the replies

Quoting

Simply select the text you’d like to quote and press the Quote button that pops up. Repeat for multiple quotes. They will be inserted into your reply where your cursor was located in the editor.

discourse-select-to-quote

Bold

Select your text and use the editor-bold button in the editor or use the keyboard shortcut (⌘B).

You can also use markdown ( **bold text** or __bold text__ ), bbcode ( [b]bold text[/b] ), or html ( <strong>bold text</strong> ) if that’s more your speed; all will result in bold text.

Italics

Select your text and use the editor-italic button in the editor or use the keyboard shortcut (⌘I).

You can also use markdown ( *italic text* or _italic text_ ), bbcode ( [i]italic text[/i] ), or html ( <em>italic text</em> ); all will result in italic text.

Bold + Italic

You can bold and italicize by using each editor button in turn. In markdown, use 3 asterisks: ***bold and italicize***

Links

There’s a few ways to insert and display links. If you paste a url on a line by itself, you’ll get a “one-box” effect with a preview. For example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperative

becomes

If you’d like to link a bit of text inside a paragraph, select your text, then select the editor-link button in the editor or use the keyboard shortcut (⌘K). You’ll get an insert hyperlink dialog to place your url.

You can also use markdown: [link text](https://url)

Additionally, you can simply paste a url alongside other text, and the display text will be generated from the url’s title metadata, like so: Cooperative - Wikipedia

Blockquotes

To create a quote that is not from another post, select your text and click the editor-blockquote button in the editor or use the keyboard shortcut (⌘⇧9). You can also use markdown by adding a > character in front of each line. For example, this:

> But I don’t want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked.
> “Oh, you can’t help that,” said the Cat: “we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.”
> “How do you know I’m mad?” said Alice.
> “You must be,” said the Cat, “or you wouldn’t have come here.”
>
> *(Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, [Chapter 6](https://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/resources/chapters-script/alices-adventures-in-wonderland/chapter-6/))*

becomes

But I don’t want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked.
“Oh, you can’t help that,” said the Cat: “we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.”
“How do you know I’m mad?” said Alice.
“You must be,” said the Cat, “or you wouldn’t have come here.”

(Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter 6)

You can also use html <blockquote></blockquote> or bbcode [quote=name]quote text[/quote]:

Emoji

To use standard Emoji, just type : to begin selecting by name—such as :wink:—or traditional smileys—such as ;). They will magically transform to rendered versions: :wink: . You can also visually select emoji via the editor’s editor-emoji button.

Mentioning

To notify someone about your reply, mention their name. Type @ to begin selecting a username.

2 Likes