IMMUNITY AND THE IMAGINAL BODY

Me too! How apropos, that this week we continue our reenactment of another “war in heaven” in our Paradise Lost group tomorrow—with echoes in contemporary articulations, such as the Zachary Stein piece you shared here: Mythopoetics. I am curious to explore what a “war in heaven” might mean or entail, reading across these and other contexts.

I’ll see how I’m doing on Friday—I’m juggling insistent demands with intensive forces in play—but whether I can be there in the virtual flesh or transtemporal spirit, I’m glad to hear about your get-together with Seth and I hope some good learnings result.

A suggested theme…

We were out walking yesterday and one of my daughters spotted a butterfly—a small monarch—that sat still for a while on a stalk of grass, then flitted about and away in a lively pattern, and whom I dubbed the CoronaButterfly. I thought that this precious, endangered insect could be a fleeting symbol for a subtle spirit of our times. I thought of the Monarch Butterfly sanctuary keepers in Mexico who were murdered last year. I wondered why the butterfly was so small. The girls thought that perhaps it was very young.

What beauty, through mother death, wants to be born? What crawling, gorging thing yearns to be transformed?

My daughters followed the butterfly with their eyes enchanted. I recorded a video for documentary evidence. Then we walked home.

3 Likes