Thoughts on the Election

Voting for Trump in protesting reaction to and violent rejection of Obama, the Clintons, etc. (swamp creatures I agree) is like voting for Satan to spite lesser or other demons of the same ilk. It’s like using oil to rub a chili stain out of your favorite shirt. It strikes me as short-sighted, even willfully blind to the point of delight in deliberate stupidity. I find the anti-intellectualism disturbing. There’s this disdain for qualifications and experience getting all mixed up in the wholesale rejection. Smear blood on your face and chest and beat on your drum. Many ironies in this. I can’t help but to think of Stockholm Syndrome on grand scale with many who voted for Trump. As time passes, and he’s revealed to be what he is, some will snap out of it, others the more outrageous his claims, the more harmful his policies reveal themselves to be, will love him all the more.

The so-called swamp has not been drained; Trump in fact is in process of loading it back up with individuals who take that 1% into even more rarefied air, creating their own self-styled universe. Trumpland. You seem to be positioning yourself for a place in it. Trump has turned you into Jabbour the Hutt.

John, i’m writing a book about the election, and would like your permission to quote you. It will be in context and I can either name you, or just call you “another voice.” There are others who’ve agreed, including Marco, right Marco? Didn’t we agree on that? The book is a day x day, week x week, event x event analysis of the election, beginning on June16, 2015. Now, obviously, we’re post election. To date, it’s about 93,000 words. It will conclude after the inauguration. It’s not entirely non-fiction. thanks.

Sure, go ahead, Jabbour, but you must say the quote comes after Princess Leia sprung herself loose and got away, unfortunately slaying you, and now you speak out of body, when you’re not inhabiting that one. I wish I had a big jar of swamp creature fetuses to make as an offering, for you to snack on. Unsalted of course so as to keep the skin of your psychic body nice and moist. Backing away slowly now… Okay, I’m outta here. :grinning:

1 Like

I’d like commentary (from anyone) on this excerpt from election2016 . It seems to me my assessment is accurate, and addresses the concept of “drain the swamp.” Trump, it seems to me, intends to flip the winners and losers, or in the least, equalize the equation, or, right the ship, which … isn’t that what you want, some equalization?

It has been a rough and rocky century so far. Through the first two two-term executive administrations (2000-2015) – one Republican and one Democrat – the R was hailed as a “compassionate conservative”; and the D (a subsequent Nobel Peace Prize winning, African American, touting “hope and change”); a man who would save humanity – the verdict is … (shrug) or, who knows? And, so but (shrug) … the century hasn’t been all bad. There have been winners, and losers. (Shrug.) Let’s look (in no particular order) at the winners and losers of the 21st Century, shall we? [Yours truly points, with laser beam light, to the big screen and the PowerPoint presentation.]

1. Big business—winner; small business—loser. 2) Mass communication—winner; interpersonal communication—loser. 3) Gay people—winner; African American people—loser. [The audience gasps.] 4) Single women—winner; children and families—loser. [There is a murmur.] 5) Money managers—winner; individual investor—loser. [A scattering of applause.] 6) Terrorism—winner; world peace—loser. 7) [Silence.] China, Mexico, Vietnam—winner; USA, Europe, Africa, Middle East—loser. [The murmur.] 8) Weapons manufactures—winner; people—loser. [There are shrieks.] 9) Health care providers—winner; patients—loser. [Silence.] 10) Higher education administrators and professors—winner; students and K-12 teachers—losers. [Again, the murmur. 11) Big-city America—winner; small-town America—loser. [Silence.] 12) Politician, lobbyists, consultants—winner; people—losers. [A loud cheer.] 13) Big government—winner; individuality—loser. [Another cheer.] 14) Professional athlete and their owners—winner; fans—loser. [Silence.] 15) Entertainment—winner; intimacy—loser. [Nothing…]

I’m not suggesting there is a zero-sum equation regarding the comparisons, just that they exist, and that there is a relationship. After all, isn’t everything inter connected, a tapestry?

Here’s my take-a-way: Stop calling Trump supporters stupid. Maybe they’re on to something.

So to summarize (even more briefly); You’ve got your winners: Gays, single women, money managers, terrorists, a few countries (a very few), big business (giant, multi-national corporations), weapons manufactures, health care providers, college professors and administrators, big cities, big government, professional athletes and the team owners, the entertainment Field, the mass media (the Internet), and lobbyists, consultants, and the politicians. And then you’ve got those on the losing end: African Americans, children and families, small investors, small towns, most countries, most people on the planet, patients, students, teachers, fans, and generally – people’s feelings of belongingness - of intimacy.

So if you’re on the winning side, you’re probably pretty content with the way things are - vote accordingly. If not - there’s only one real choice, one person who brings the chance of changing things, of delivering on the promises of the two previous presidents - and that’s the non politician, Mr. Donald J. Trump.

I enjoy your writing style, Mark. (I sincerely do - lively and highly entertaining.) I don’t necessarily disagree with your breakdown of the winners and losers, if we were to go ham-fisted. You do your breakdown like a pundit yourself, a member of the corporate media, sort of mock-aping their pretended expertise and official tone (using not power-point but W.W.F. power moves), not condescending and playing snobbish elite by selling stories, sampling them like fine wine and liquors, but peddling yours like moonshine made with rebel spirit right in the basement.

One thing I correct in my words to you. I apologize for suggesting you’re stupid. Clearly you’re not. But I do think you are blind and have seriously misplaced your hope that Trump the "non politician” con man is going to deliver on his promises. Isn’t it amazing how Trump went on Twitter attack of union boss Chuck Jones when Jones, knowing the actual facts and figures and situation of steelworkers at Carrier, stepped up, speaking on the workers behalf, and said Trump lied his ass off? Of course facts don’t have a place in Trump’s world. Trump even had the gall to blame Jones for the job situation at Carrier. That’s like some guy minding his own business getting jumped, the shit kicked out of him, and blaming him for it happening.

The Carrier deal is nothing but a stunt by Trump the used car salesman, to pull one over on the American people and to steal praise on the sly. He made his promises, and he’s gonna do everything in his power to make it seem that he’s delivering on them. All he wants in the end is the praise and accolades, and fawning worship and attention, and the possessor of Narcissistic Personality Disorder will do anything to get it. Inconvenience him with facts and actual reality and call him out when he lies, and he goes on the attack.

It’s bait and switch, Mark, and I haven’t taken the bait. I suppose we’ll have to wait and see what Trump actually delivers on for your own personal benefit. By the way, before looking at my photo and racially profiling me, placing me in one of your neat and pat “winners” and “losers” categories, I’m a struggling artist who doesn’t own a car and does piss work to pay rent on a dilapidated studio apartment.

Twilight Zone episode, entitled “It’s a Good Life” (1961). I was hoping Youtube has the whole episode. Worth tracking down and watching the whole thing.

Synopsis: In a small farming community in Ohio, a young boy by the name of Anthony Fremont terrorizes those around him. Anthony has the ability to command anything he wants simply by thought. The community is cut off from the outside world and the boy insists that those around him think only pleasant thoughts, and if they don’t, he eliminates them. Everyone walks in fear of the lad who ably demonstrates what he’s prepared to do at a small party in his home.

ahh so … You’ll have to read the book. W/r/t unions et all. I am against them; and yet, fought for the unionization of staff in a social service entity, b/c we were paid $9 an hr., but the job required a 4yr college degree; and there were/are LIVES AT STAKE! And my career, such as it was, was destroyed. Trust me (why would you?) There is so much corruption in every aspect of EVERYTHING! Please read, or watch, Ken Kesey’s novel/movie sometimes a great notion. (1964) It’s all in there - the narcissistic personality, love & sex, family, weed, work, death, triumph. Trump may fail, but he’s worth fighting for. … sometimes a great notion. peace & cheers.

If there’s any virtue I see in you, Mark, it’s that you don’t stay perched, repeating like a parrot, but dive right into the cognitive dissonance, daring to swim with no land in sight, acting out like a shaman all that’s strange and contradictory, actively trying to work it all out not merely intellectually but down in your flesh and blood being. Answers you arrive at or conclusions you assert are perhaps taken at face-value prematurely. The process you are engaged in appears to be more important. There’s something mad about how you splash around, something humorous in your unusual strokes, spitting water in the eye of witnesses who watch silently, staying safely on dry land. Maybe you and I are alike in this. I could hang out with you, though surely we’d argue with each other. Your writing or the book you’re working on, I imagine, isn’t objectively researched but a wild mess of things thrown together, seasoned and slowly cooked: Jambalaya.

“Jambalaya (On The Bayou)”

Goodbye Joe me gotta go me oh my oh
Me gotta go pole the pirogue down the bayou
My Yvonne the sweetest one me oh my oh
Son of a gun we’ll have big fun on the bayou
Jambalaya and a crawfish pie and filé gumbo
Cause tonight I’m gonna see my ma cher amio
Pick guitar fill fruit jar and be gay-o

Thibodaux Fontaineaux the place is buzzin’
Kinfolk come to see Yvonne by the dozen
Dress in style and go hog wild me oh my oh
Settle down far from town get me a pirogue
And I’ll catch all the fish in the bayou
Jambalaya and a crawfish pie…

Later on, swap my mon, get me a pirogue
And I’ll catch all the fish on the bayou
Swap my mon, to buy Yvonne what she need-oh
Jambalaya and a crawfish pie…

1 Like

Hi Mark:

I don’t at all claim to understand the finer details of economics, but this is too glaring. A dope like me understands this. First, here’s an article from before the Presidential Election, where attention is drawn to the fact that Trump used steel made in China to build a couple more of his phallic structures to fuck American workers in the ass. Then comes the Carrier deal, where Trump gets up in front of the cameras and boasts that he’s saved jobs and that he’ll punish if businesses move to foreign shores.

The following article was published yesterday by Leo Girard, International President of the United Steelworkers. I myself am just trying to understand, man, and to educate myself on the facts of the situation.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/12/14/false-hope-hurts-more-trumps-promises-to-the-working-class/

Here’s a soundtrack for your reading: “Steelworker” by Big Black. Disturbing lyrics but effective expressing the dark, primal aggression generated out of the continual beat-down and grinding of unrelieved labor, which, resigned to his condition, reduces and hardens man to predatory beast. It has a machine-like beat.

Steelworker Lyrics

The only good policeman is a dead one
The only good laws aren’t enforced
I’ve never hung a darkie, but I’ve fed one
I’ve never seen an Indian on a horse
And I live like this ‘cause I like it
And seen too much to pretend
You can’t ignore the beauty in the things that you love
Like you can’t stand the hatred and the lies
Have you always hunted with your hands?
Can you show me what you’ve done?
If you catch it, can you kill it?
You don’t understand, see you don’t understand
See, I’m like a murderer, see, I’m like a murderer
And I could rip you limb from limb
And I could rip you limb from limb
Great big thing crawlin’ all over me
See, I’m like a murderer, I kill what I eat
See, I’m like a, I’m a hunter-gatherer, see, I kill what I eat
See, I’m a steelworker, I kill what I eat
See, I’m, I’m a bricklayer, I kill what I eat
See, I’m a, I’m a murderer, I kill what I eat
See, I’m a, I’m a hunter-gatherer, I kill what I eat
I’m a, I’m a bricklayer, I kill what I eat
Great big thing crawling all over me
Can you show me what you’ve done?
If you catch it, can you kill it?
I live like this ‘cause I like it
And I’ve seen too much to pretend
You can’t ignore the beauty in the things that you love
Like you can’t stand the hatred and the lies
See, see, see I’m a murderer, I kill what I eat
See, I’m, I’m a bricklayer, I kill what I eat
It’s a great big thing crawlin’ all over me

errg … Eye roll. Marco, help me out.

Donald Trump named Rex Tillerson as his Secretary of State. Tillerson is the former CEO of Exxon Mobile and, even more so than Trump himself, has done business and made successful deals all over the world, including with Russia and Vladimir Putin. This is driving The Left still more bat-shit crazy, if that’s possible. Trump is doing exactly what he said he would do—“hire” the toughest and smartest people he could find to do the jobs that need doing. Mr. Trump also cancelled a presser w/r/t his business and potential conflicts with his job as president. Instead he tweeted out that he would make no future deals w/r/t his company; and turn over the operations of it to his sons, Donald Jr. and Eric. That’s it folks, that’s all there is. That’s his style. The rest, all the questions The Press is dying to ask him are irrelevant. They, The Press, and The Media are both coming close to irrelevant – and of course they’re screaming bloody murder, trying to prove their relevance. Trump is continuing to bring relevant persons, the movers and shakers, the real players, into private conference at his “headquarters” in Manhattan, aka, Trump Tower. Today, Trump’s having a “high-tech” summit with all the chiefs of that industry, all of whom voted for Hillary and many of whom helped her to raise great sums of money. Trump beat them all, and has been critical of many of them. Now he wants to know what they think, how and if they will help him “Make America Great Again.” Trump’s agenda has been rock solid since day one – he wants to bring back high-paying jobs for American workers, and make America safe, strong, smart, and rich. To bring back pride in achievement and accomplishment. It’s simple. Trump told Chris Wallace of FOX News that he didn’t need an intel daily briefing unless there was something new to note. Again, “They” are going crazy. All Trump is doing is what he said would do; which is, what he has always done—that which needs doing to be successful., guided by his ethos that has served him well for fifty years. It’s simple.

At the forefront of the “news” today is the horror that is Syria—destruction, demolition and genocide, i.e. war. And “They” want to know: What will Trump do? He’s already said, and demonstrated, that he’s not going to say, or broadcast, what he will, or will not, do. Such is counter-productive, he’s said.

Now, and we here go into the wilderness—into the wild—because ever since the advent of modern communication systems and “News” as a commodity, the expectation has become that “The People” should be informed as to the intentions of The Generals. … But that’s a losing formula, which is, by the way, antithetical to Trump’s ethos.

But and so now, I am faced with this: My children (one bio and two step); were all Bernie supporters’ who voted for Hillary and are now bat-shit crazy with hatred for Trump. One gave money to Jill Stein’s scam (Seriously. Trump actually gained 100+ votes in Wisconsin); another is stuffing envelopes with form letters, stamped and sent to electors, to disavow their duty and not vote for Trump (which is, in essence, asking the electors to ignore the democratic process – the bedrock of America – that your vote matters! One person one vote!) I am at a loss as to what to do.

From almost the get-go, I understood what was going on. I thought – this is a no-brainer – Trump will win in a landslide. (see “How did we get here? pg. 50) I thought The People would see what I saw, and so but I was wrong.

I thought there was a good probability that Trump would win all fifty states, and so also, then, the popular vote by a two to one margin. Oh My Word, was I wrong!

The ridged-ness with which one is capable of CLINGING, as David Foster Wallace wrote in Infiinte Jest: “Everything I’ve ever let go of has claw marks on it.” is MIND-BLOWING!

page 606. Infinite Jest

1 Like

Hi Mark:

Did you read the two relatively short articles I posted above? No comment on that? I think Leo Girard strikes a good tone in his article, not wild and out of control, but calmly asserting the facts, but also very willing to negotiate. He appears very grounded in reality to me. He wants “winners” all around.

How I wish the whole picture was as simple as you portray it and I could believe as you do. “He (Trump) wants to bring back high-paying jobs for American workers, and make America safe, strong, smart, and rich. To bring back pride in achievement and accomplishment.” Who is “They”? It’s like this wink and nod thing you have going. Who’s your inside man? You got more than one personality keeping you company in the war room, Dr. Strangelove? Then you mention the Press, the Media (capitalizing), one and all, as if all belong to that “They”. Very curious. Do you suggest that Trump go after Freedom of the Press? Then you mention Fox News. Okay, now I understand where you’re coming from.

Yes, Marco, go ahead and help Mark out. He needs the snake after you’re done to unclog all the shit in his pipes. I myself am not flipping out and going bat-crazy, though perhaps you imagine me that way, Mark.

You are right Trump is doing “hiring”. He’s gonna run the Presidency of the United States like a mega business. Profit, baby. That’s the bottom line. It’s a continuation on a global scale now, of what he’s always done. Profit for himself and to those who flatter him and display loyalty to him.

Thanks for posting the link to the tune Sixteen Tons, version by Tennessee Ernie Ford. I like that old stuff.

It says on Wikipedia: “Sixteen Tons” is a song about a coal miner, based on life in coal mines in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky. It was written and first recorded by Merle Travis at the Radio Recorders Studio B in Hollywood, California on August 8, 1946. Cliffie Stone played bass on the recording. It was first released by Capitol on the album Folk Songs of the Hills (July 1947). The song became a gold record.

The line, “You load sixteen tons and what do you get? Another day older and deeper in debt,” came from a letter written by Travis’ brother John. Another line came from their father, a coal miner, who would say, “I can’t afford to die. I owe my soul to the company store.”

A 1955 version recorded by Tennessee Ernie Ford reached number one in the Billboard charts, while another version by Frankie Laine was released only in Western Europe, where it gave Ford’s version competition.

P.S. Hey Marco: Before going to post this reply, a purple page popped up, “you have posted over 35 % of comments -” a good measure to make sure others jump in and join the conversation, that there’s not a monopolization. I do think I’ve commented too much. I’m all for diversity of voices and different viewpoints. Time to go silent for a while.

2 Likes

Hello Mark: I read the two articles @JDockus posted, and I will say that I noticed a couple complicating details.

In the first article, “Trump’s Monuments of Hypocrisy Made With Chinese Steel,” the argument against Trump is that he used cheap Chinese-made steel rather than U.S.-manufactured steel in his recent construction projects. The article is really a commentary on another piece of reporting in Newsweek—

—however, there is an interesting point made by the author of the derivative article, Dave Johnson (whose byline indicates that he’s a “Fellow” of the “Campaign for America’s Future,” whatever that is…I’ll let you Google it; the article is published, btw, on the official website for the United Steelworkers union), which suggests an interesting distinction between how the U.S. and China conduct business.

He says that China has a “national industrial strategy,” which includes the goal of maintaining employment, whereas the U.S. relies on the “market” to sort out how many U.S. workers are employed. So, Johnson explains, when China developed a glut in steel production recently, rather than allow the “market” to put the excess production capacity (including its labor) out of business, the “national industrial strategy” dictated that employment be maintained through “dumping” the excess steel in other countries, such as the U.S., at below-market cost, in effect undercutting local production while strengthening Chinese industry.

Economically, of course, it gets very complicated. There is a cascade of downstream effects (unintended consequences, perverse incentives, and so on) to any “intervention” in the “market”—or, to be fair, to any non-intervention. (We can’t not choose; we can only choose (or not choose) to choose, to act.) So but in essence: they do things one way there, and another way here, and Trump proposes do things differently here to better compete with how they do things there.

We are dealing with different logics, different sets of power relationships, different modes of social organization. But there is an underlying set of rules that Trump is acting on (and out of). Strict market logic says that Chinese companies should be able to sell their steel at whatever damn price they want—and, that Trump should be able to buy whatever damn steel he wants, as cheaply as he wants and can get it. By such logic, all the “market” has done is to let the respective actors conduct trade, freely! But then the State gets involved, and on the one hand you have a unified policy protecting and advancing the interests of a certain population (i.e., Chinese), but on the other you have only what’s best for the corporate actors involved—but not the people (especially, rustbelt white males).

Your argument, @Mark_Jabbour, as I understand it, is that Trump as CEO of Trump Enterprises is going to get the best deal for TRUMP ENTERPRISES, which might NOT be a good deal for US workers. But now, as President of the U.S.A., he’s going to get the best deal for the U.S.A.—our own national industrial strategy (involving tax cuts, tariffs, etc.), which protects U.S. workers in the same way that Chinese policies and practices protect Chinese workers.

So far, so good?

If we look at the second article, then, “False Hope Hurts More: Trump’s Promises to the Working Class”—there is a different complaint, namely that while Trump claimed that 1,100 were saved by his deal with Carrier, in fact only about 800 jobs were saved. Therefore, Trump offered “false hope” to Americans because he fudged the numbers for better publicity.

To my mind, 800 jobs saved is still pretty good, and yeah, sometimes with a salesman you get more sizzle than steak. But I actually think, yeah, alright. The devil—of any deal—is in the details. The rest is propaganda one way or the other. Is it “false hope”? Does it really matter, if you’ve “saved” 800 rather than 0 jobs?

It might not matter. A newer, related story alters the equation:

So it turns out, the jobs Trump “saved”—they’re going bye-bye anyway, since Carrier will now make a huge investment in increasing automation in the U.S. plant, which will reduce jobs, regarding which, Greg Hayes, CEO of United Technologies, Carrier’s corporate parent, remarked:

“We’re going to… automate to drive the cost down so that we can continue to be competitive,” Hayes said. “Is it as cheap as moving to Mexico with lower cost labor? No. But we will make that plant competitive just because we’ll make the capital investments there. But what that ultimately means is there will be fewer jobs.”

Which is to say: the market is going to do what it’s going to do.

So why the faith in President Trump, when the market will trump Trump anyway? Because he “gets” it? He’s going to find a way to win one way or another?

I’m all for winning. But doesn’t it matter how we win? Can we look critically at the underlying rules of the game, maybe change the game itself? Or, has that been tried already (communism, anarchism, etc.) and failed, and so we should just get with program. The Trump Train is leaving the station!

Let’s grant your wet dream that The United States of America is now a fully-owned and managed subsidiary of TRUMP ENTERPRISES. Hostile takeover complete. The United States is rebranded TRUMPLAND. Time is now subsidized, so 2017, by Executive Order, is retroactively renamed the “Year of Trump Natural Spring Water,” while 2018 is slated as the “Year of Trump Golf.” Cue the Left going batshit-cray—but who’s listening to them crybabies anymore, anyway?! You stick out your tongue, there in your bachelor condo in your gated community, and mock the @JDockus-s of the world (and the rest of us “concrete individuals”), NA NA NA NA NA NA!

Is this the world we want to live in? Does it matter anymore? Do we know where this way leads, from a BOOK we once read?

I see where you’re going with this, buddy. It’s all about Art and Life! We are witnessing the Entertainment! The Samidzat is here! Johnny Gentle 2016 and 2020 (“Year of the Trump Executive Briefs in Boxer and Bikini Styles, made with All-American Cotton”) and 4EVA!

You call Trump a mutant, which I think is actually technically and philosophically accurate, but he’s so much more, isn’t he? He’s a monster of our own imagination. He’s the culmination of an underlying logic, the final calculation of a rogue algorithm. He’s the personification of a force that delivers us to our destiny. He’s practically a god, let’s be honest. At the very least, he’s an avatar of one; an apotheosis. And well hey, if you can’t beat 'em, join 'em…right? Unite! Become one with your god.

I thought of a great Tantric exercise that our lefty, spiritual-type, ‘empathic’ friends might put to use in their contemplative disciplines (‘crazy wisdom’ shit, this):

1. Sit quietly, upright, with your eyes closed and ring a bell to begin the meditation.
  2. Focus on your breathing, let your mouth muscles relax.
  3. Imagine yourself performing fellatio on Donald J. Trump. Visualize it completely.
  4. Keep at it. Imagine him berating you while you lick and suck. He is moaning, “Yeah baby, Make America Great Again.” Over and over. Time stretches out endlessly, year after subsidized year rolling off your tongue.
  5. Keep going. Keep working on the Donald’s “little hand” until he’s so excited, he’s winning so bad, he ejaculates in a torrent of verbal abuse, “You’re fired! You’re fired! You’re fired!..”
  6. Return to your breathing. Feel the breath going down the front channel and up the spine, let it circulate, while you visualize Donald Trump’s ‘seed’ dripping down your face, burning ecstatically into your skin.

Congratulations: You’re now Enlightened.

(Did that help, @Mark_Jabbour?)

PS. @JDockus: I see you’ve met our resident ‘AI.’ Please note that I haven’t yet gotten around to customizing those contextual 'minders. We sort of have to ‘train’ our own bot, so please don’t take any such message as iron-clad law, but let me know if you think the language, design, or behavior of the system can be improved.

PPS. You saw it here first. I want at least 50% royalties on the Trump Tantra™ brand.

1 Like

Excellant! My friend. i’ll have to re-read when I get back from grocery shopping (with a stop at the corner store); for the coming cold-snap. Your analysis, & remedy, contrasts perfectly with what “they” are doing in all the usual outlets, and is such a breath of fresh air (I was getting myself depressed - Putin wins! If indeed it was him and not just some jokers.) You may be the only sane friend I have left. Thank you!
I’ll have more to comment when I return (and re-load.)
cheers

Which is to say: the market is going to do what it’s going to do.

So why the faith in President Trump, when the market will trump Trump anyway? Because he “gets” it? He’s going to find a way to win one way or another?

Yes - that’s been his history.

I’m all for winning. But doesn’t it matter how we win? Can we look critically at the underlying rules of the game, maybe change the game itself? Or, has that been tried already (communism, anarchism, etc.) and failed, and so we should just get with program. The Trump Train is leaving the station!

In a word - yes, and no to the first question.

Let’s grant your wet dream that The United States of America is now a fully-owned and managed subsidiary of TRUMP ENTERPRISES. Hostile takeover complete.

You got it!

The United States is rebranded TRUMPLAND.

Exactly! Trump = USA. He has crossed over into a world that we “normals” only experience in our dreams.

Time is now subsidized, so 2017, by Executive Order, is retroactively renamed the “Year of Trump Natural Spring Water,” while 2018 is slated as the “Year of Trump Golf.” Cue the Left going batshit-cray—but who’s listening to them crybabies anymore, anyway?!

Unfortunately, it’s an echo chamber, i.e. a bubble; and apparently “they” learned nothing. It is a complex of politicians + lawyers + The Media + academia. AKA the Elites. Thus it is, as you point out - “The Samidzat.”

You stick out your tongue, there in your bachelor condo in your gated community, and mock the @JDockus-s of the world (and the rest of us “concrete individuals”), NA NA NA NA NA NA!

You got me. Nailed me. I have always been a fish out of water - a Trump-like creature but not quite. And so in our, his and mine, golden years - he takes over the world, and I just move to a newer, nicer gated community. My version of Trump Tower. [see OVERCAST. pgs. 192-193.]

Is this the world we want to live in? Does it matter anymore? Don’t we know where this way leads, from a BOOK we once read?

Which ending? The book’s, which is back to the beginning, or the author’s? Which is so sad. It has always been my contention that he was mis-diagnosed, and thus mis-dosed, from the get-go.

I see where you’re going with this, buddy! It’s all about Art and Life! We are witnessing the Entertainment! The Samidzat is here! Johnny Gentle 2016 and 2020 (“Year of the Trump Executive Briefs in Boxer and Bikini Styles, made with All-American Cotton”) and 4EVA!

You call Trump a mutant, which I think is actually technically and philosophically accurate, but he’s so much more, isn’t he?

It’s true!

He’s a monster of our own imagination.

No, he’s real. He’s part Robin Williams, part Teddy Roosevelt, part Jack Welsh, part Hugh Hefner, part Mickey Mantle.

He’s the culmination of an underlying logic, the effect of an algorithm. He’s the personification of a force that delivers us to our destiny.

Maybe. But “destiny” begs the question: Determinism versus Free Will. The first chapter of my book is titled “God, Heroes, and Men” and I roll on from there. Trump’s MO is founded on the principle of “The Power of Positive Thinking”; which is closely aligned to The Law of Attraction." [again, see OVERCAST.]

He’s practically a god, let’s be honest. At the very least, he’s an avatar of one, an apotheosis. And well hey, if you can’t beat 'em, join 'em…right? Become one with your god.

I thought of a great Tantric exercise that our lefty, spiritual-type, ‘empathic’ friends might put to use in their contemplative disciplines (‘crazy wisdom’ shit, this):

Sit quietly, upright, with your eyes closed and ring a bell to begin the meditation.
Focus on your breathing, let the muscles of you mouth relax.
Imagine yourself performing fellatio on Donald J. Trump. Visualize it completely.
Keep at it. Imagine him berating you while you lick and suck. He is moaning, “Yeah baby, Make America Great Again.” Over and over. Time stretches out endlessly, year after subsidized year rolling off your tongue.
Keep going. Keep working on the Donald’s “little hand” until he’s so excited, he’s winning so bad, he ejaculates in a torrent of verbal abuse, “You’re fired! You’re fired! You’re fired!..”
Return to your breathing. Feel the breath going down the front channel and up the spine, let it circulate, while you visualize Donald Trump’s ‘seed’ dripping down your face, burning ecstatically into your skin.
Congratulations: You’re now Enlightened.

(Did that help, @Mark_Jabbour?)

Definitely! We should put together a list of The Elites, and send them your remedy. It’s much better than what I’m seeing and reading.

PS w/r/t “false hope.” That’s been America’s foreign and domestic policy since the get-go, no? Promise(s) followed by abandonment and then death and/or genocide. Maybe it is the only thing that is certain. For example: Syria & Obama’s ‘red-line’; Bush 43’s ‘we’ll be greeted as liberators’; Bush 41’s promise to Iraqis after Desert Storm; Kennedy’s Bay of Pigs fiasco; Woodstock. You want to talk about the USA’s promise to the First Americans? Or again, Obama’s promise of 'Hope and Change"? … Chicago? Obama may go down, in the final analysis as the worst American president, ever! And then Bush 43, followed by Clinton, followed by Bush 41, followed by Carter. Can it get any worse? And then along comes Trump - “What have you got to lose?”

I went to one of the rallies - the love and hope and joy was contagion at its finest. Better than any drug/alcohol fueled rock concert. That joy is still going on with his “Thank You” tour. Watch! [They’re live streamed.] Watch the faces. The joy his supporters feel is reflected in their faces, it is SO hopeful. And, The Elite hate it - that they got it wrong. That they may be irrelevant.

If there is reality in the power of positive thinking, and the law of attraction - then buy a ticket on the Trump Train. (Wall Street, the ‘market’ is.) This IS a contest between forces, a test of the human condition, the human animal,“The Third Chimpanzee.” Are we just another animal, or are we something more?

Illuminating and hilarious, Marco. Ha ha! No topping that commentary. It almost incorporates every ingredient of all the other comments on this comment board. It’s the ultimate gumbo, and it tastes like shit. One man’s poison, is another man’s medicine. Swill to one man is to another "a fine wine”.

Looking past the phenomenology (I’m growing wary of phenomenological philosophizing and description, seeing how so much of it leads to mumbo jumbo), Trump isn’t a god, or an almost-god. He’s a human being like we are, mortal just like we, but an extremely narcissistic one, doing what such individuals do with their charisma and charm. He knows how to manipulate and suck energy to pump himself up and make himself appear to other human beings like he’s incredibly special, Larger than Life, a gift to humanity, a Genius for the New Age (throw any superlatives you can think of together), and with special powers like a god. He can’t be bothered by minutiae in problems. That to him would be to show weakness, leaving one vulnerable to the enemy, to “Them”, or to the “Elites”. Critical thinking is for the “Elites”. (This is paranoiac thinking which goes hand in hand with megalomania.) For threats by those who point out lies by facts and sound reasoning, rake under deliberately vague, capitalized categories, and dismiss with flair and an air of contempt. For Trump and his followers, just as it is with any cult leader, it’s always style over content. Indoctrinate followers with slogans, and signal to them when and where to attack. (You can already see the brainwashing and conditioning at work, the mob descending on the target of a Twitter attack with torches and death threats.) Trump puts himself above the difficulties of common humanity, him and his team of propagandists tirelessly working to make it appear that he’s a god in touch with the pulse of the universe, that he just knows what’s best for us. We’re just supposed to surrender unquestioningly to the god above and to fall in line, becoming part of the Trump Army (parasites to the Almighty Mutant), to blindly trust and worship him, believing everything he says, acting on his every signaling. I see, Mark, that you’ve been bitten and the poison is working on you. You don’t feel sick yet. Quite the contrary! "I went to one of the rallies - the love and hope and joy was contagion at its finest. Better than any drug/alcohol fueled rock concert. That joy is still going on with his “Thank You” tour. Watch! Watch the faces. The joy his supporters feel is reflected in their faces, it is SO hopeful. And, The Elite hate it.” You describe this as if Trump is the Second Coming of the Lord, the Messiah come to lead the chosen people out of darkness. This is the first stage of the Cult Leader’s wonder drug’s effect on you. It’s giving you hallucinations, making you feel euphoric, that Daddy Trump is gonna heal America and make everything okay, leading all of you who are a part of the Trump Cult to the Promised Land, to Heaven on Earth. You’re being primed for the American Jihad. Unfortunately the drug in your system will eventually wear off, leaving you sore and bloated, and maybe only after you’ve become involved or complicit in atrocity and blight. At that point you might not even know what you’re doing anymore. You’ll have been primed and conditioned to do the “Special Work”.

Here’s another mutant, and look how his followers ended up after drinking the “fine wine”.

Painting by George Grosz, entitled “Pillars of Society”

The following are excerpts from Theodor Adorno’s book entitled, “The Psychological Technique of Martin Luther Thomas’ Radio Addresses”. Relevant insights are here of certain techniques and devices which to my observation are being used by Trump, of course fashioned in his own way. This I know is long for a comment section, but succinct and informative. So much I have left out which is equally precise in description and informative. More study and discussion needs to go in this direction.

Written on the back cover of the book:

“The now-forgotten Martin Luther Thomas was an American fascist-style demagogue of the Christian right on the radio in the 1930s. During these years, Adorno was living in the United States and working with Paul Lazarsfeld on the social significance of radio. This book, Adorno’s penetrating analysis of Thomas’s rhetorical appeal and manipulative techniques, was written in English and is one of Adorno’s most accessible works. It is in four parts: “The Personal Element: Self-Characterization of the Agitator,” “Thomas’ Methods,” “The Religious Medium,”and “Ideological Bait.” The importance of the study is manifold: it includes a theory of fascism and anti-semitism, it provides a methodology for the cultural study of popular culture, and it offers broad reflections on comparative political life in America and Europe.”

“Implicit in the book is an innovative idea about the relation between psychological and sociological reality. Moreover, the study is germane to the contemporary reality of political and religious radio in the United States because it provides an analysis of rhetorical techniques that exploit potentials of psychological regression for authoritarian aims.”

“Lone wolf” (page 4)

“There is first of all the ‘lone wolf’ trick. It is taken from the arsenal of Hitler, who always used to boast about the seven lonely and heroic party comrades who began the movement, and about the fact that others controlled the press, the radio - everything; and that he had nothing. Thomas slightly modifies this by specifically insisting he has no politician’s money behind him. He uses innumerable times variations of the statement: ‘I have no sponsors, and no politicians ever put one dollar into this movement.’ This modification results from Thomas’ playing upon the American distrust of the professional politician who is supposed to profit privately by making a racket of public matters. Since Thomas himself, like his fellow agitators, shows all the characteristics of a political racketeer, he is all the more anxious to shift the onus of such an occupation upon those from whom he claims to be detached. Fewer, he reasons, will believe him a racketeer, if he thus attacks racketeering. It is incidentally one of the most outstanding characteristics of the fascist and anti-Semitic propagandists that they blame their victims in an almost compulsory way for exactly the things which they themselves are doing or hope to do. Counterpropaganda should consequently point out concretely that they are doing the selfsame things about which they profess to be furious. There is practically no category of fascist propaganda to which this rule cannot be applied. It is this pattern through which the mechanism of psychological ‘projection’ makes itself felt throughout fascist ideology.”

“Emotional release” device (page 6)

“The speaker’s simulation of spontaneity and non-manipulated individuality is underscored by a particular pattern of behavior which he not only exhibits but also recommends. He is consciously and emphatically emotional as part of his technique. He reiterates on many occasions that he ‘almost cried’ when he got a contribution of fifty cents from that poor old widow. Whereas his whole personal build-up is that of the leader, he conspicuously refrains from any attitude of ‘dignity.’ Just this abandonment of dignity is apparently one of the effective stimuli of fascist propaganda everywhere. Hitler himself was always prone to ostentatious, hysterical outbreaks, and one of his favorite phrases was ‘I should rather shoot myself than…’ In Thomas’ speeches the ‘emotional release’ device is derived from his religious attitude, his evangelistic, revivalistic penchant, in contrast to official Presbyterianism.”…

…” His (Thomas’) own emotionalism serves only as a model for the behavior that he wishes his listeners to develop by imitation. He wants them to cry, to gesticulate, to give way to their feelings. They should not behave so well and be so civilized. Under the cloak of Christian ecstasy, there is the encouragement to paganism, to the orgiastic release of one’s emotional drives, to regression towards inarticulate nature, which worked so successfully in Nazi propaganda. The ultimate aim of the ‘emotional release’ device is the encouragement and endorsement of excess and violence. As soon as the barriers against crying and self-pity are broken down, one may express unchecked one’s suppressed feelings of hatred and fury as well, and the collective religious wantonness of the Holy Rollers may be consummated by the pogrom. Moreover, the more the barriers of self-control within the listeners are broken down by the orator’s encouragement, the more easily they are subjected to his will rather than to their own, and to following him blindly wherever he wants them to go.”

“Persecuted innocence” device (page 10)

“The selection of the personal qualities the speaker directly or indirectly claims to possess gains significance only with reference to some which are conspicuously absent. He stresses, for example, his personal integrity and honesty, therewith falling in line with old patterns of election propaganda. He also hints at his qualifications as a leader. But he never refers to his particular equipment for doing the rather ill-defined job upon which he embarks. He points out neither his training, his political background, his erudition nor any specific personal features by which he may qualify as a political leader. Instead he is satisfied by vaguely referring to God’s call. The configuration of self-advertising and vagueness about himself has a meaning of its own. Apart from possibly calculating upon the widespread aversion to the professional politician and perhaps to any kind of expertness, a feeling based upon the deep-rooted unconscious resistance to the prevailing division of labor, Thomas uses the vagueness of his image of himself to leave room for any kind of fantasy on the part of the audience. He presents himself as a kind of empty frame which can be filled out by the most contradictory conceptions on the part of his listeners. He may be imagined by them as a benevolent and humane clergyman, or as a reckless soldier, as a high-strung, emotional human being or as a shrewd man of practical life, as a keen observer who knows all the dubious inside stories and as a pure soul who calls in the wilderness. Vagueness about his own personality is a means of integration concomitant with the vagueness of his political aims. Both serve to herd together most different types of listeners who are willing to follow him the more blindly, the less exactly they know who he is and what he stands for. A certain abstractness, interspersed with petty concrete references to daily life, is characteristic of the pattern of the fascist agitator.”

“There are, however, some few specific traits which occur again and again. First, the dwelling upon his own innocence. He is not merely an irreproachable and unselfish character, and it is just because of his higher moral qualities that he is subject to permanent persecution - to threats and conspiracies of his enemies. Thomas goes often so far as to say that he may be poisoned at any time or that his church (which, by the way, was his private property) may be burnt. “People will write all kinds of things. They write everything against me. They write that they are going to kill me.” Other West Coast fascist agitators, such as [George] A. Phelps, also imply the ‘persecuted innocence’ device which was developed by the Nazis. The latter characteristically called their highly aggressive elite guard (from which the Gestapo members are selected) the SS, Schutzstaffel, that is to say, “protective Corps.” The ‘persecuted innocence’ device serves a double purpose. First, it has to interpret the danger to the leader as one to all and to rationalize aggressiveness under the guise of self-defence. “Listen Christians, do you remember what he said: if they have persecuted me they will also persecute you.” The most pronounced example of this trick is provided by Father [Charles Edward] Coughlin’s excuse for Hitlerism in all its aspects by referring to it in terms of a ‘self-defense mechanism.’ It is borrowed from high politics. Ever since Caesar attacked the half-savage Gauls with his highly trained army and explained his war of conquest as a consequence of absolutely necessary protective measures, military aggression has been termed defense. Fascism with its intrinsic affinity to all imperialistic behavior patterns has, for the first time, adapted this device to the purpose of home policy and even to the building up of ideologies for individual actions. There is, however, a deeper psychological implication in the mechanism. It is not expected that it will be taken completely seriously but rather as a stimulus to violence itself. In this connection, psychoanalysis has shown that the aggressive, sadistic tendencies to which Fascist propaganda appeals do not clearly differentiate between the aggressor and the victim: psychologically, both notions are to a certain extent interchangeable, since both date back to a developmental phase where the distinction between subject and object, ego and outer world, is not yet clearly established. This ambivalence is further evidenced by the large role of the concept of self-sacrifice in all fascist propaganda. In the last analysis, such an interchangeability makes it possible to blame the prospective victim for the very same crime one wants to commit oneself. By ‘projection’ one unconsciously makes events appear real which exist only in one’s own imagination. The most blatant example of this mechanism is, of course, the German Reichstag fire. In Germany, the ‘persecuted innocence’ device always was used with a certain cynicism and was received as such. For example, innumerable jokes of the type of ‘Jew peddler bites Aryan shepherd dog’ were enjoyed. It is very likely that the same device is applied on the American scene in a parallel way."

“Listen to your leader” (page 40)

“The most characteristic means of propagandistically establishing authority in a quasi-rational way, without taking resort to traditionally accepted institutions, consists of taking up an authoritarian term and making it a sort of fetish. This device has been noted by Dr. A. Sanders under the heading of ‘magic words.’ The best example for this device is the personification of totalitarian regimes everywhere, by a Duce, a Fuhrer, or with Martin Luther Thomas, a leader. The term leader itself is very significant in this respect. It expresses a claim of unquestioned authority, the claim that the leader should be ‘followed’ without referring to any traditional dynastic title.”…

…”The idolatry of the term leader itself is not simply a relapse into barbarian habits of thought, though it doubtlessly implies retrogressive elements. It is in itself the outcome of late industrial society in a way which at least may be hinted at. The intermediary between industrial rationality and magical idolatry is advertising. The technique of competition has developed a certain tendency to turn slogans under which the commodities are sold into magical ones. Such magic of the words is promoted by incessant and omnipresent repetition which is planned rationally but blunts the conscious discrimination of the prospective customers. An important element in this process is that the customers feel the tremendous power concentrated behind the ever-repeated words and therefore display a certain psychological readiness to obey. This obedience tends to a certain extent to sever the link between the customers’ own interest and the actual usefulness of the commodity. They come to attribute to the product a certain value per se, a certain fetish character. This mechanism has become so automatized throughout the buying processes of modern life that it can easily be transferred by simple advertising techniques to the political field. The mode of ‘selling an idea’ is not essentially different from the mode of selling a soap or a soft drink. Sociopsychologically, the magical character of the word leader and therewith the charisma of the Fuhrer is nothing but the spell of commercial slogans taken over by the agencies of immediate political power."

“Thomas’ speeches contain a striking example of the process of severing the concept of the Fuhrer from any rational context and making it an absolute, a fetish. It matters little who the leaders are. Leadership as such is an ideal, and a man who speaks with authority should be followed.”

“If you only knew” device (page 54)

“The mildest form of terror device employed by Thomas as well as by other fascists is the ‘if you only knew’ device, the suggestion of mysterious terrors known only to the speaker, or almost inconceivable to the normal person, or so obscene that they cannot be discussed in public.”

"Innuendo points to the future, to a time when the facts merely hinted at are going to be made clear, or to a final day of reckoning. Curiosity is stirred up and people are made to join the organization, or at least to read its publications, by the hope that they are going to be ‘let in’ at some future date if they simply follow what the agitator says and writes. Mere interest in what one will hear later creates a sort of emotional tie between speaker and listener. This mechanism is used throughout advertising, and represents the harmless, surface aspect of the innuendo technique.”

“The lure of innuendo grows with its vagueness. It allows for an unchecked play of the imagination and invites all sorts of speculation, enhanced by the fact that masses today, because they feel themselves to be objects of social processes, are anxious to learn what is going on behind the scene. At the same time they are prone psychologically to transform the anonymous processes to which they are subject into personalistic terms of conspiracies, plots by evil powers, secret international organizations, etc. The innuendo device is based upon the neurotic curiosity prevailing within modern mass culture. Every isolated being longs not only to know the hidden powers which his existence obeys, but even more to know the dark and sinister side of those lives in which he cannot take part. This disposition helps transform the innuendo device into something not at all harmless.”

“Its dangerous aspect consists, first of all, in an irrational increase of the speaker’s prestige and authority. To listen to innuendo and to rely on purposely vague statements requires from the listeners a certain readiness to ‘believe,’ since the vagueness stands in the way of a comprehensive statement of facts and a discursive treatment of their interrelation. It is exactly this attitude of blind belief which is fostered by Thomas’ innuendo technique. Of course, he borrows the concept of belief from Protestant religion, which teaches the primacy of faith. But actually he promotes the idea of belief in him…. Innuendo is a means of making the leader appear as heir to divine omniscience. He knows what others do not know. He underscores this difference by never telling exactly what he does know or revealing the full extent of his knowledge. He always reserves for himself a surplus of knowledge which inspires awe and at the same time makes the public wish to participate in it.”

“This is the decisive mechanism of the ‘if you only knew’ device. The assertion that fascist organizations like Thomas’ Crusade are rackets is to be taken very seriously. It does not refer merely to the habitual participation of criminals in such movements, nor to their violent terroristic practices. It emphasizes their sociological structure as such: they are repressive, exclusive and more or less secret in-groups. One has every reason to assume that this aspect of any fascist movement is, though unconsciously, well understood by the prospective followers. Indeed, one of the main incentives offered to them is the wish to ‘belong,’ to become a member of a closed in-group. This mechanism is evident in the attraction exercised by juvenile gangs upon youth, and probably also even upon adults. The ‘if you only knew’ device is of paramount importance with regard to this desire. Innuendo is a psychological means of making people feel that they already are members of that closed group which strives to catch them. The assumption that one understands something which is not plainly said, a winking of the eye, as it were, presupposes a kind of esoteric ‘intelligence’ which tends to make accomplices of speaker and listener. The overtone of this ‘intelligence’ is invariably a threatening one. Psychologically, what purposely remains unsaid is not only the knowledge which is too horrible to be stated frankly but also the horrible thing one wants to commit oneself, which is not confessed even to oneself, and yet is expressed and even sanctioned by innuendo. The “if you only knew’ device promises to reveal the secret to those who join the racket and pay their tithe. But it also implies the promise that they will some day participate in the night of the long knives, the Utopia of the racket."

(page 66) “Thomas, like all fascists, reckons with followers who are deeply discontented and also even destitute. Their objective situation might possibly convert them into radical revolutionaries. One of the main tasks of the fascist is to prevent this and to divert revolutionary trends into their own line of thought, for their own purposes. In order to achieve this aim, the fascist agitator steals, as it were, the concept of revolution. Again, the idea of catastrophe, of the fateful moment, is the substitute. It implies radical change without, however, having any specific social contents. Nobody looks beyond the end of the world. Moreover, catastrophe is something that happens to people rather than materializing by their own free will. They are divested of their spontaneity and transformed into spectators of the great world-historical events which are going to be decided over their heads, while their own energies are absorbed by their adherence to the organization, and their love of the leader.”

“It is interesting to note that Thomas’ clamor for an ‘awakening’ to the threat of impending catastrophe is conceived in terms of ‘back’ rather than of ‘forward.’ (Here is where one can insert “Make America Great…Again.”) The awakening of America is represented as a restoration of something long over. Moreover, it is understood as an act not of conscious self-determination, but of bowing to the authority of the father.”

Black hand (Feme) device (page 68)

“It has been noted above that the ‘innuendo’ technique is related to the idea of a closed, violent, strictly ruled in-group - a racket. This relationship makes itself keenly felt in the terror propaganda of fascism. Strongly reminiscent of plain, non-political racketeering, terror is applied no less, and perhaps even more, to one’s own followers than to the opponents. This technique played a very large role in Nazidom under the title of ‘Feme’. The most dangerous forces are supposedly those working from the inside. The Fascist cannot help feeling surrounded by traitors, and so continuously threatens to exterminate them.”

“Speaking with tongues” device (page 78)

“Apart from any specific theological contents, and possibly more effective propagandistically than any such contents, the religious medium makes itself felt throughout the psychological atmosphere of Thomas’ speeches. This atmosphere consists, above all, of a certain unctuousness, a mixture of maudlin sentimentality and phony dignity which tends to lend its own aura to every sentence that he utters. Of course, this unctuousness may be attributed simply to Thomas’ sermonizing attitude. It ought to be noted, however, that Hitler himself, who until recently very rarely referred to religion and then in the most general terms, has developed a similar unctuousness in speaking. The halo of ‘sacredness’ has been emancipated from any specific religious content. It is taken over by arbitrarily chosen concepts, mostly of an animistic connotation, such as the ancestors, or the ‘dead of the movement.’ This transfer is expressed in a general sentimentality of tone. This sentimentality, its blatant insincerity and phonyness, makes it most difficult for any intellectual to understand the effectiveness of fascist agitators. One should think, so runs the argument, that the simple people, with their feeling for the genuine, would be repulsed by tones which are reminiscent of the wolf in sheep’s clothing. This assumption, however, is untrue. Anyone familiar with folk art will find, particularly among folk singers and folk actors, a very strong tendency toward exaggerated sentimentality and ‘false tones.’ This can be accounted for in part by the people’s desire for ‘strong colors’ which, in a way, calls for overdoing things. But there is a much deeper-lying basis, namely the longing of the people for ‘feigning’ things. It is this attitude which regards an actor primarily as a man who can ‘pretend’ well, can disguise himself, and impersonate others. People expect a ‘performance’ rather than the presentation of the ‘genuine’. They probably derive actual enjoyment from the false tones, because they regard them as indices of a ‘performance,’ of imitations of some model, no matter whether the model itself is known to them or not. This probably can be explained by the complex of ‘oppressed mimesis’ discussed in other sections of our project.”….

….“Perhaps a realization of the audience’s sense of ‘performance’ also accounts at least partly for the hundreds and hundreds of pages full of the purest nonsense which one can find in Thomas’ and, it may be added, in Hitler’s uncensored speeches. Here again, personal shortcomings fit marvelously with public demands. It is indeed possible that an orator like Thomas with an hysterical character structure and a complete lack of intellectual inhibitions is actually incapable of building up a logical and meaningful sequence of statements. However, it is probably just this uninhibited ability to speak without thinking, a capacity traditionally associated with certain types of salesmen and carnival barkers, which fulfills a desire in the audience.”

‘Anti-institution’ trick (page 91)

…“The logical sequel to such confused outbreaks would be the advocacy of strong enforcement of law against these anarchic specters that he incessantly raises. It is a characteristically fascist twist in propaganda, that just the opposite occurs. While deploring lawlessness, corruption, and anarchy, not only is he ‘antilegalistic’ but he even attacks law as such. This procedure, of course, is parallel to the well-known fascist device of crying wolf whenever a central democratic government shows any signs of strength. Their talk about the dictatorship of the government is simply a pretext for introducing their own dictatorship. Thomas’ attitude towards law is highly ambivalent; he complains of the existing lawlessness as well as of the existing laws, in order to prepare psychologically the ground for some sort of non-‘legalistic’ rule.

‘Things are going wrong in this country of ours because we have forgotten God and his righteous law. We have trampled his standards of conduct and rule of judgement underfoot, and in its place we have enacted a host of human regulations. There is no dearth of law, today, my friends; this is the greatest age of legislative enactments to regulate man’s conduct ever known in the history of this country. It is estimated that human government has made thirty-two million laws. There were ten thousand new laws placed on the statute books of the federal and state governments of the United States during 1924; there were thirteen thousand placed upon our statute books in 1928; fourteen thousand placed in 1930, and the last two years have multiplied these figures as a result of the New Deal which is the reign of law. But the greatest age of laws is also the greatest age of lawlessness. The criminal record shows that crime is increasing at a staggering rate. The direct cost of crime in this nation has reached fifteen billion dollars every year.”

"The figures mentioned in this diatribe are, of course, utterly fantastic. There is neither any basis for the estimate of thirty-two million laws made by ‘human government’ (whatever that may be), nor the slightest corroboration of the astronomical figure of the ‘cost of crime’ in America. To operate with fantastic figures is an established Nazi habit. The apparent scientific exactitude of any set figures silences resistance against the lies hidden behind the figures. This technique which might be called the ‘exactitude of error’ device is common to all fascists. Phelps, for instance, has similar fantastic figures about the influx of refugees into this country. The greatness of the figure, incidentally, acts as a psychological stimulant, suggesting a general feeling of grandeur which is easily transferred to the speaker.”

“His stress upon instinct against reason is concomitant to his emphasis on spontaneous behavior against laws and rules. Thus he promotes a spirit of ‘action’ against the protection granted the minority by any kind of legal order."

‘Anti-Pharisees’ device (page 96)

“The stimulus involved here is a resentment against the intellect. Those who must suffer, and have neither the strength nor the will to change their situation on their own impetus, always have a tendency to hate those who point out the negative aspects of the situation, that is, the intellectuals, rather than those who are responsible for their sufferings. This hostility is made more intense by the fact that intellectuals are exempt from hard labor, without being in possession of actual commanding power. Therefore, they excite envy, without simultaneously calling forth deference. With Thomas’ particular audience, anti-intellectualism has a particularly good chance of success. The Sermon on the Mount is transformed into an ideology for those who, while resenting their own hampered mentality, spitefully cling to and exalt this mentality.”

“This spitefulness is turned against the outsider, thus preparing the way for anti-Semitism. (Insert any minority group being used as a scapegoat here.)

1 Like

Funny, Brad Sayers, but too obviously unintegrated, like trying to mix oil and water together, devolves into silly farce. I come away from this snickering but also feeling a bit irritated actually, even frankly insulted if applied to me because it’s inaccurate. I like this better: A Touch of Zen (1971). A great balance is struck in this movie, of dramatic tension, the physically impossible coming close to comedy, but not really by how wonderfully it was handled by the director, using restraint in the right places, the cinematography and use of music is excellent, the whole for all its acrobatics somehow remaining true to mindfulness and meditation. The supernatural in this movie remains anchored in naturalism like a fisherman casting his line and able to make the lure at the end of it dance and appear alive. The monk who is enlightened and a master kicks ass.

The following scene follows the one above, but I couldn’t find it with english subtitles. It can be understood anyway.

Applied to you? Don’t think so. Twas the awful zen image of fellatio that immediately prompted that. Wasn’t at all going for the integration either - but a chuckle (which is what happened to me).

Now for real life jumping and flying you will want to see this. Speakers up, Shields down, and Full Screen ahead!