Torus, Time-Space, and Themes of History: A Doughnutology?

What I have always seen in what you post and in your contributions to our online discussions is anything but materialistic reductionism, or any reductionism for that matter. We are certainly on the open-but-let’s-be-honest wavelength. That’s what I think good science is about, and I am very delighted that there are more and more people in both the hard and soft sciences coming to realize that using precise methods, honestly evaluating data (without imposing unquestioned and unarticulated assumptions and presuppositions on them), forming and testing hyptheses, are all important. We will, of course, probably need different, and perhaps more creative, methods to approach a lot of the non-physical phenomena that need to be explored, but what I’m sure both of us also agree on is what I would call scientific rigor when it comes to developing such methods.

Science to me – and it strikes me that it is also to you – about making things clear: what I’m investigating, how I’m doing it, what is influencing my thinking on the subject, you know, those kinds of things. And I realize that this is perhaps a bit more demanding when it comes to, say, philosophy, but it is not impossible, and it is this lack of transparency that gets my goat when it comes to most “theorists”. I personally don’t think expecting a writer to be clear is too much to expect, but apparently it is, so I end up putting up with a lot of nonsense that I think is otherwise avoidable. :roll_eyes:

While I’ve always felt pressed for time, I really hate it these days when I feel my time is being wasted because it is next to impossible to determine just what point a writer is making, if they are making a point at all. I realize that the concept “posties” is a gross oversimplification and overgeneralization, but I’m also making clear that it is a word that results from my own frustration with the lack of clarity and too-often meaninglessness of what they are trying to say. Again, Sloterdijk is a great example for me: he has his lucid moments, no doubt about it, but they are too few and too far between for me to want to spend all the time it takes to maybe figure out what it is he could be saying. It’s probably because I’m just a simple guy with the simple (if not simplistic) desire to make some sense of the world before I leave it. :grin:

So, I would have to say, Geoffrey, I agree; I don’t think we really disagree. :smiley:

On the other hand:

And I’m sure that in the circles in which you circulate that is the case. But it is not what I see in, say, Richard Dawkins or the TED-Talk people who will not allow certain people to even appear (as has been the case with Rupert Sheldrake, (for some reason one of Dawkins’s favorite targets) or Russel Targ who had his talk on psychic abilities pulled from the channel … whereby both of them are respectable and self-respecting scientists by all standards). Whether we like it or not, there are still Inquisitors amongst us, and I think it’s a good idea to at least acknowledge this is the case and perhaps avoid them if at all possible. It is people and situations like that which give science a bad name, and when we look at the current political and societal debates that are taking place these days, science is fighting an uphill battle for acceptance as it is.

4 Likes