When One Metaphor Isn't Enough -The Lives of Metaphorical Fluid People

Yes, I also have an extensive phenomenological practice. One can walk theory and chew the gum of experience at the same time.

2 Likes

No dichotomies anywhere!

2 Likes

FB is a different kind of social media culture than has been nurtured here. It’s a very different style. I haven’t posted anything on FB in a couple of years. Kind of jarring.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Indeed. I love Cosmos Coop precisely because it’s so much UNlike FB and all its clones, almost an opposite kind of “place” and philosophical atmosphere.

4 Likes

I agree and I really like that about Cosmos. We run parallel to FB. As we move into another phase, which will probably include a mass extinction, it’s nice to know that we have co-created an island of sanity in the vast nihilism of social media. Liminal gestures are welcomed here. We encourage each other to share our communiques from the field, and give this intimate mystery, a size and a shape. We listen to each other carefully, like good musicians, who love the music within, rather than generate competitive, shrill, sharp, feelings, as they do on FB.

5 Likes

Let’s take a walk on the Wildness/Ecological Openness Path of the Awe of Being Alive & the Gift of Friends,Lovers & Strangers!

4 Likes

A beautiful reply, thank you!

2 Likes

The%20Creative%20Adult%20is%20the%20Child%20Wh%20survive

Pablo Picasso said, “The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.”

3 Likes

The immediate impression I got when I saw the labyrinth was that of the largest in Europe located on the floor of the central nave of the Notre Dame Cathedral in Chartres, France (and yes, there are a number of Notre Dame Cathedrals in France, the most famous of which, of course, is the one in Paris which burned just a few days ago … and – fun fact – if you plot them out on a map, and connect the dots, the form the constellation of Virgo … go figure).

Anyhow, it’s not precisely the same, but here’s a graphic approximation:

When I went to visit, the chairs had been removed from the nave so visitors could walk it. That, I can assure you, is a very moving experience.

4 Likes

I awoke this morning within a social dream field to the epiphany that this field-moment in timelessness is a Gift & I am Cracked Open!

5 Likes

That’s wild. I’m sure there’s a life lesson involved in moving steadily toward a destination by being alternately closer to and farther from it.

5 Likes

This thread is soul nourishment to me. It feels like the perfect dollop of textual and visual pleasure, like a chocolate dipped bon bon, to wrap up a Cosmos & Coevolve focused workday. I love seeing the co-creative dimension of our coming together in full play and display.

Multiplicitous metaphors and similies abound… I love how my exposure and engagement in this space and betwixt the colorful contributions of each of you, has encouraged me to be unreasonably free and liberal with my play with metaphors, jumping around like a child bounding on so many stumps and logs in a forest, intuitively feeling the shape of the thing to be described and finding a parallel image from experiential existence. Sometimes when I do this I feel like the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland, puckishly associating things with a insouciant attitude to perceptually congruent “fixtures” like time and space–a bewilderment and wonderment of references.

Metaphors and similies are the ultimate expression of both the power and limitations of our symbolic dimension of consciousness–the ability to work with language and symbols to model reality, cognitively, and pass those models around, culturally. They exemplify the brilliance AND the gaps in our human capacities to articulate and meaning-make, which is why I love them… a kind of paradox incarnate. By weaving a lush web of “it’s like…” we eke closer to “what is.”

This free play unlocks doors to adjacent freedoms, like more spaciousness in how I conceive of and relate to myself, to the movements I’m a part of, to my ancestors and my dreams. I don’t know how we all tie together, but we’re all here in this dynamic voluptuous play, and it’s all quite stimulating and curious if nothing else! As an adult who’s pursued disciplined mind-body practices, I’ve progressively tapped into the ability to exist as a child–simply open, inquisitive, unburdened by hardened assumptions, and full of life, and eager to play.

Mind jazz, mind romp indeed!!! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

4 Likes

10922470_10204861615193117_5209764443310099093_n

10411355_10152426168948390_6187874803129386987_n

“God Bless the Child ,That’s Got Their Own” Blood,Sweat & Tears

2 Likes
1 Like

OK THIS IS A STATEMENT : EARTH DAY LET’S GET OUR FEET & BODIES MOVING!

10411346_10205487490535809_6034592904189047593_n

Touch Your World Up with Some Color.
Dream Your Swinging On A Star.
Taste It First Then Add Some Flavor.
Now You Know Just Who You Are.
Van Morrison

3 Likes

Dance, when you’re broken open. Dance, if you’ve torn the bandage off. Dance in the middle of the fighting. Dance in your blood. Dance when you’re perfectly free.

Rumi

Dancing is not just getting up painlessly, like a leaf blown on the wind; dancing is when you tear your heart out and rise out of your body to hang suspended between the worlds.

Rumi

Childhern%20Dancing%20in%20the%20Rain

5 Likes

Thank you for those fierce Rumi lines. Fitting. Especially: “hang(ing) suspended between the worlds”.

2 Likes

The Hang[ing] suspended between the worlds,with my heart torn out 34yrs ago began my learning to Dance when Broken Open & Feel the Dance in My Blood even if it’s a little Side-Ways.

5 Likes

Some Old-New Metaphors I found upon my Path of Metaphorical Fluidity in a Time of Fall/Winter.

Poco a poco-little by little : gradually —used as a direction in music.

walking-meditation

Lower Lights:

Let the lower lights be burning.Community is particularly powerful when we’re struggling. And that’s where the concept of our namesake, “lower lights,” comes from. It’s a beautiful metaphor that has inspired me over the years. In pre-modern times, sailors would navigate the open seas by way of what they called the “upper lights”: the sun, the moon, and the stars. These sailors could go a long distance just by the upper lights alone. But by the time they got to shore, there were a lot of dangers involved, particularly if it was stormy, dark, or rocky. In such circumstances, sailors were in danger of being dashed on the rocks, their ships crushed, sinking to a watery grave.

They needed light to guide them in to safe harbor, and they came to call the lights from the town and lighthouses along the shore the “lower lights.” The lower lights were critical, especially in challenging times. When it was stormy out and visibility was limited, sailors desperately needed these lower lights to guide them those last few hundred meters to shore.( From the website: lowerlightswisdom.org)

4 Likes