The Secret Language of Birthdays

well, if she doesn’t respond by tomorrow morning, then I would say go ahead with Weinstein. I will let you know by tomorrow morning. How does that sound?

Thanks Durwin for inviting me…of course I am delighted to join. I can re arrange things—but I don’t know the link to connect with…can you send it to me?
Looking forward to this dialogue…
Smiles on your moments
Terri

1 Like

Great! I’m glad that has worked out.

1 Like

I’ll be there/here @ccafe & am hoping for a lively discussion. I subscribe to Weinstein’s channel, but find him tedious, rambling. eg. In the above presentation he speaks of conflict & ways towards resolution as if he has an “evolved” level of consciousness, and yet couldn’t settle his own dispute with the college he was employed by; and admits at the talk’s end that sometimes things can’t be resolved, because … well he doesn’t quite get there because he doesn’t know that of which he speaks, the functioning and “purpose” of evolution . I much prefer Jordan Peterson. Below’s a recent interview he had up in Aspen with a NYT’s, young, female, editor, who was trying not to be antagonistic but could not be. Twice she tried to bait Peterson into talking about Trump, but he wouldn’t bite. Perhaps we can marry the two topics - eros & evolution, using the Peterson and Weinstein clips as a base. In the Q & A at the end of the Peterson piece, a great question is posed (I’ll summarize): Would you rather be right or happy? Which defines much of what lies at the root of conflict between associates, comrades, friends, and intimates. Peterson answers with the warning: but you’d better be willing to accept the consequences, no matter your choice. Which I’ve found very hard, because either way there is a cost. I/we tend to think that we choose well/best, but - “the road to hell is paved with good intentions.” I’ll stop now. See you in 4 hours.:gorilla:

2 Likes

Let’s see who shows up today and what’s on the table.

If @Terri can make it, I would love to hear from her first, since we haven’t really ever gotten a chance to speak in depth. I would like to mingle minds, and better understand her understanding (including unresolved questions and perceived possibilities, etc.) of human development in relation to ‘evolution,’ cosmically and culturally, and scientifically—if that’s not too much to ask. :sweat_smile:

@DurwinFoster , I believe, also has some ideas he would like to develop, related to sex and gender reasoning and integral development. Let’s work with who is present and we can interact with. There is much to learn!

Besides, I don’t think I would be able to absorb the Jordan Peterson interview, along with the Weinstein clip above (both of which I’m happy to watch) before the talk today (7/4). I just got back from lovely trip and am enjoying the summer. These guys are downers.

But they are smart and I want to hear what they have to say. I just want to be able to take their arguments and ideas, if that’s what they are, seriously; and today I can’t.

I hope @Terri and @DurwinFoster, you can join us. And @Geoffrey_Edwards, too, whose evolving novels-in-development explore critically related ideas through vast narrative imagination. And @johnnydavis54, @Douggins, @achronon, the @ccafe crew, et al. Durwin, let’s collaborate on the topic set-up, if you’re available. I will message you. ¡Hasta luego!

2 Likes

It’s Tuesday – but despite England vs. Columbia (one of my sons-in-law is British; his step-mother is Columbian) – I’ll be there. I have a fundamental question or two that would be very helpful to have answered (depending on whose there, of course).

(Side note: I watched Weinstein, who I think is a bit confused; I’ve watched enough Peterson to think highly of him as a psychologist and very little of him as a cultural critic; so, I could probably follow almost any discussion that arises.)

1 Like

Is it at 11/noon or noon/1pm? @madrush. Because my calendar entry is for 11/noon. but on this thread, it says noon/1.

Here is the topic for today: