Gebser in the Present
Recorded 30 July 2019
JJ: Hey @ccafe! It’s good to be back. I truly enjoyed our conversation this past Tuesday and hope the following call to be a similarly fruitful dialogue. After getting a chance to listen to “Dwelling in the House of Gebser,” and reviewing the thread, Doug and I put together a “set list” of themes we can hopefully orbit around together for the next one. They mainly concern “ Gebser in the Present ,” which is the chord I heard struck a number of times in the inquiries like, “how relevant is Gebser today?” and “where is Gebser vulnerable to postmodern criticisms?” @patanswer’s question on New Media that might “ware” the whole is an intriguing one, too. In addition, with the next Gebser conference at Asilomar being a cross-over with Jungian scholars, we can further intensify the theme: integral consciousness in the present (civilizational crisis) .
Reading / Watching / Listening
- Chapter 6 of STTW , “The Integral A-Perspectival World: Time-Freedom and its Contemporary Manifestations” is relevant for this topic. (Does anyone need me to send over a PDF of the chapter?)
- Gebser, Jean. The Ever-Present Origin . Part Two, chapter one, “ The Irruption of Time. ” Section 1: “The Awakening Consciousness of Freedom from Time” (pg. 283-289). Chapter two, “ The New Mutation , Section 2, "The Theme of the New Mutation” (pg. 301-306).
- The film class on Nura just watched Akira , which is touched on in my chapter above. I have it in mind a lot lately. You guys are welcome to check it out.
From 7/16 Café:
- Just how relevant is Gebser these days? Who is willing to read him, and why and why not?
- Where and how is Gebser vulnerable to current (postmodern?) criticism?
- What kind of social media might truly ‘ware’ the whole in transparency and time-freedom in the 21st century?
- How can we work through the liminality of this great planetary, spiritual unfolding?
- How can we comprehend Anima Mundi and World Crisis?
- How can the thinking of Gebser and Jung be understood as prophetic ?
Context, Backstory, and Related topics
- Cosmos Café [7/16] - Seeing Through the World with Jeremy Johnson - or - Dwelling in the House of Gebser
- Cosmos Café [7/23] - Open Café
- Gebser + Jung Here and Now - 49th annual Jean Gebser Conference