Temporary video link: https://zoom.us/recording/share/EKOYPhBCXvlFGGl3ozVd_0rYFvuJD5PIGLK5j_3U8SGwIumekTziMw
Neither Jean Gebser nor C.G. Jung are strangers to our regular CCafé visitors, and fortune had it that these two figures played the central role in this year’s annual Gebser Conference, held in Asilomar, CA just last month. In this CCafé session, we’d like to start taking a look at and discussing some of the contributions made there. Sean Kelly’s “Gebser, Jung & the Fullness of Time” seemed like a reasonable place to start as he addresses a number of themes and authors that have played a role in quite a few CCafé sessions in the past.
Kelly’s talk is somewhat general in nature (and relatively short: <45 min. w/Q&A) addressing a wide range of topics, including “astrology”, “the Axial Age”, “synchronicity”, “initiation and ritual”, “faith”, “NDEs”, and more, not to mention several writers who have asserted (prophesied?) the coming of a new age or aeon for humanity. Are we standing at, or even crossing, the threshold of such momentous proportions? That is the central question to be explored in this session, along with thinking about what the answer (or partial answers) mean for future CCafé sessions as well.
Reading / Watching / Listening
- Is humanity standing at, or even crossing, the threshold to a new age, a new structure of consciousness, to use Gebser’s term?
- If so, what are the indications? If not, why not?
- What do the answers (or partial answers) to these questions mean for us personally and for our future CCafé work?
Context, Backstory, and Related topics
- Desmond, Timothy (2018) Psyche and Singularity: Jungian Psychology and Holographic String Theory, Nashville, TN, Persistent Press.
- Gebser, Jean (1986) The Ever-present Origin, Authorized translation by Noel Barstad with Algis Mikunas, Athens, OH, Ohio University Press.
- Kelly, Sean (2015), “Cosmological Wisdom and Planetary Madness”
- Kelly, Sean (2019) Living in End Times, Forthcoming, Revelore Press. (A pre-print abbreviated text is available for free download.)
- Tarnas, Richard (2006) Cosmos and Psyche: Intimations of a New World View, New York, Viking Press.
- Tarnas, Richard (2013) “Is the Modern Psyche Undergoing a Rite of Passage?”
- Cosmos Café: Synchronicity and Modeling Time [11/28/17]
- Cosmos Café: Disambiguating Space and Time [12/5/17]
- Cosmos Café: Visionary Knots of The Mereon Matrix, with author Lynnclaire Dennis [4/24/18]
- Cosmos Café: Metamodeling and Integration [review session, 5/1/18]
- Cosmos Café: A Radical Conversation with Terry Patten, author of A New Republic of the Heart [5/15/18]
- Cosmos Café: Integrating Science, Art, and Time [6/5/18]
- Cosmos Café: Archetypal Cosmology - [9/11/18]
- Cosmos Café [11/20/18] We Have Never Been Modern, We Have Always Been Integral: Amusing Musings Using "Singing"
- Cosmos Café [1/29/19] - William E. Connolly's Prelude from Facing the Planetary
- Cosmos Café [2/26/19] - Introduction to Davor Löffler's Generative Realities
- Cosmos Café [5/21/19] - Death Café
- Cosmos Café [6/25/19] - The Next Ten Billion Years
- Cosmos Café [7/16/19] - Seeing Through the World with Jeremy Johnson - or - Dwelling in the House of Gebser
- Cosmos Café [7/30/19] - Gebser in the Present
- Cosmos Café [9/3/19] - Introducing Donna Haraway's Staying with the Trouble
- Cosmos Café [2019/10/01] – Ancient Philosophy and the Mystery of Our Senses
- Cosmos Café [2019/10/29] - Owen Barfield & Final Participation
- The Gebser Channel
- "Second-order" culture & the Axial Age: an overview
- "Second-order" culture & the Axial Age II
- When One Metaphor Isn't Enough -The Lives of Metaphorical Fluid People
- J J Kripal on 'Flipping' Out of Materialism
Who’s here and what’s up?
Which impacts did you take from Kelly’s presentation?
What does it all mean?
Where is this taking us?