Cosmos Café - Is Ethical Attunement Possible in the Midst of a World/Planet in Transition? [5-22-2022]

Reading / Watching / Listening

Seed Questions

• What Is /Isn’t Attunement?
  • What Kind of Training in/with Attention is Needed for Growth with this Human Capacity [Attunement]?
  • How might we begin to enact attunement during the Café?
  • Is there a place for Misunderstanding/Dissonance within the Act of
    Attunement? Does Attunement need to take Place only in the Presence of “Positive
    Content” or is it Possible to give Attention with Attunement with a learned
    Equanimous Sensitivity?

Rohr’s… in the Learning to See” CCafé: quidquid recipitur ad modum recipientis recipitur - “Whatever is received, is received according to the manner of the recipient”.

Context, Backstory, and Related topics

A short reflection true conversation

A quote from a article from Tricycle, entitled What It Means to Become a Peacemaker:

Modern culture often separates awareness from a feeling quality; when people think of awareness , they think about attention and thinking. However, awareness has always had a profoundly feeling and relational quality. We might call this the heart’s intelligence.

The thirteenth-century Persian poet Rumi talks about the heart’s intelligence when he says, “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there.” The heart intuits the whole, while the conceptual mind usually analyzes and divides. Love or compassion arises when awareness and its feeling quality are fused. A deep understanding of this dynamic helps us to become truly human, which means fully aware, openhearted, and engaged.

Our heart’s intelligence resonates with the field of awareness—the vast, immeasurable groundless ground of everything. By bringing the personal and the universal together, we come into balance. Then we long for suffering to subside and to make space for healing.

A deep bow to Michael Stumpf, for his fine-attuning methods laid upon this Café. :bowing_woman:t4:

attn: @ccafe

3 Likes

A Abstract Model , of The Organic Model of the Power of Three , Picture Above (Sea + Skin) it seems? :

2 Likes

3 Likes

" Great cities are not like towns, only larger. They are not like suburbs, only denser. They differ from towns and suburbs in basic ways, and one of these, is that cities , by definition, are full of strangers. Strangers are far more common in big cities than aquaintences. More common not just in places of public assembly,but more common at a man’s own doorstep. Even residents who live near each other are strangers." -Jane Jacobs, The Life and Death of Great American Cities

Yesterday, while I walked across 10th street, I stopped to chat with Abe, who lives in my building. He is recovering from cancer. I tell him I am off to the East River Park to work out. He tells me it’s going to rain. I better hurry. I bump into another neighbor, a man of my own age, who is going into surgery, soon. He may lose his voice. We try to make light of it. I shudder to think what it would be like to never be able to speak again. These guys I’ve known for decades but we only chat on the street about poliitics, world events, personal disasters, then we disappear. I like them for they are in close proximity but will I miss them when they are gone? A little bit. I have seen previous generations disappear. Now, it is our turn.The streets are already full of ghosts. I have a sixth sense.

When I get to the East River Park it has started to rain. I go into the public toilet to take a piss but a homeless man with a cart full of junk is struggling to get out of the door. A thin, wiry, white guy, around thirty, with sunburned look, shoves the cart through the door, and as he pushes past me, the boom box he has on the top of the heap, falls and crashes, at my feet. I bend over and pick it up and hand it to him. It is broken. He looks sad. The rain is coming down more heavily. I got to the urinal and as I finish I feel a sense of alarm. The homeless guy has returned with his cart full of junk. I worry that he could be a pervert or a con man with a paper cutter. ( I have been held up by knife before) . Alert to danger I squeeze past him and his cart and notice out of the corner of my eye that he has a jerkiness in his face, probably tourette’s syndrome. A few paces from the toilet, I hear from behind me, as the rain soaks me, the man shrieking. He is wailing, grieving for his broken boom box, his broken boom box life, seeking refuge on a rainy day, within a the walls of a stinking, public toilet, and shrieking with rage. I break into a run.

A city of strangers…a world of strangers…we have lost our rhythm…can we create a few more smooth moves to the round sounds of another brassy show tune? I hope so.

3 Likes

Guest or Enemy? Welcoming the Stranger.

From your notes from the Field John ,You activated a capacity of Attunement (Grokking?),
it seems in your encounters?

We are Even in this Life …

3 Likes

3 am ,I am in a Creative State to bring forth “A Felt Sense” to:

A Possible Thresholding Feeling-Thought to A Possible Response
to the Question?

And…

When we cultivate the practice of paying close attention to the way we talk to ourselves, we won’t fool ourselves too much.

Norman Fischer, “Beyond Language” , Finding Freedom Through Thoughts
and Words, Tricycle Magazine Summer of 2011.

2 Likes

Here is some weird listening from the other morning. I had hesitated to share it but @Douggins encouraged me, so I am overriding my mortal fear of embarrassment. I am sorry to anyone who ever believed in me.

This is just a two-headed (nine-bodied) creature of language that arrived in my sensorium, a rogue experiment, only partially inadvertently bidden, improperly functioning (solemnly up to no good) as both receptor and transmitter, seizing upon the vocal apparatus. Do you hear me?

3 Likes

1:00 am here in Banning,Calif. “Desert” Listening To Marco,Attuning to
His Soul Body Forth Sound of His Listening and My Ears Receiving in Flesh
the Many Bodies of Sound,Words,Subtle Expression & Desire…
“CONTACT” Manifested Out of the Womb of Silence!!!
Man-and-the-moon

tumblr_mx3npwE4iN1r6hn6xo1_500

3 Likes

Last night I dreamed the following. I drank a glass of water while resonating with the feeling of love. Then I was in a conference room addressing an audience. " Materialism and Physicalism make no sense. We are going through a paradigm shift. Many in the medical profession are aware of this shift and are speaking out. This is a difficult transition we are making." Then, I am walking down a hallway with a woman on my left. I tell her about the advances gay people have made, that they can express themselves while staying centered." As I say this she toucnes my belly softly which is very soothing. I entered a class room and view a black board full of designs and patterns. I’m aware that I am entering into a more advanced communications.

Then I saw this morning a video with Eileen McCusick, who was mentioned last call. Makes sense with last night’s dream. A bit of pre-cognition. Many overlapping motifs. The Earth brings forth a new geometry.

2 Likes

Nice share Marco. Received and transmuted.

Listening to the YouTube recording with Lisbeth Lipari: I like that Lisbeth tunes into the body as a core component of listening. In 2017, The Year of Seeking Optimal Communiques (with the likeminded landing and launching here in the Cosmos and the local Quaker community), I was focused on finding that “holy moment” with anyone I spoke with. So many factors come into play. One of her slides quotes Jakobinsky (“Our reception and understanding of another’s speech is determined not only by actual momentary simulation . . . but also by the entire range of our antecedent internal and external experiences and ultimately by the entire contents of our psyche at the moment of listening.”) . . . if physiological, emotional and psychological needs are sated, we can begin to step into deeper conversation.

Marco (and John’s/our recent explorations with the Nine Bodies) brings in the emotional, the astral . . . when all nine bodies align or attune or flow, do we receive God? In the Listening, Thinking, Being you shared Mike, Lipari speaks of Quakers gathered meetings and Heidegger’s gathered harkening. I will be all ears in our conversation today. Do you hear what I hear?

3 Likes

Around 20:44 (my time) all went silent. The silence Michael requested at the beginning was visited upon me at the end. Maybe God moving the furniture, clipped the connection. Who knows.

Zoom further decided, I needed an update, which it installed, but wouldn’t allow me to log in again. Full disclosure: I have been increasingly having problems connecting to the InfiniteConversations site for some reason (and I have to go through any number of gyrations to get the home page to even load; I have assumed it was all at my end, but that doesn’t make good internet sense, so the Mystery is greater than I might like to assume).

Couldn’t make it back, but thanks for the conversation as far as I got. Till next time.

5 Likes

It was good seeing you, Ed, regardless.

Could you try emptying your browser history (cache, cookies, etc.) related to IC? It should (though I know I shouldn’t say should) be working all right for you… though the issues may not be on your end or the server’s, but somewhere in between.

In any event, glad you could be-stimmung with us it for as long as you did. Don’t let that curmudgeon go gently…

Also, I’m wondering if @edoubleoo heard any birds singing in his ears, while we were sharing about some of our challenges and learnings around the interpersonal dynamics of listening and mis-understanding relating to our previous “open frame” Café.

3 Likes

Though I have my browser open almost all the time, I’ve set my preferences to clear cookies every time I close a tab, and always when I close the browser, which I do regularly.

And, I don’t mind you saying “should”: after all, cookie-clearing “should” resolve certain issues, even if it doesn’t always work. (It’s at this very low level of things-not-functioning-as-they-should that induces my general technoskepticism and lack-of-faith that (digital) technology is all it’s cracked up to be. Still, I refuse to succumb to Promethean shame: the technology’s more defective than its users.)

Maybe I’m simply having trouble because I more or less expect that things won’t run as smoothly as they “should”. It’s not the end of the world, only amusingly frustrating: the technology is functioning pretty much as I expect it will. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I suppose that’s right, the meaning of the tech will depend upon your expectations. At least being skeptical, you’re hard to disappoint.

My rule of thumb: When in doubt, clear the cache. After that, it gets trickier to figure out what should fix any given issue.

2 Likes