@ccafe: This will be my attempt at a proposal for framing the Cafe for next year. I have ideas, some great, some decent, and some not so great, some bad ideas. Help me in the tweaking process. Identify what will work, what won’t and what I might be missing.
I do note the statements of concern about framing, topics, etc. The Cafe does need a better frame. And for this, I apologize. I had started to take initiative and create Cafe pages (as no topics arose/no one created a Cafe page for the week’s discussion), mainly gleaning our recent thoughts and conversations onto the Cafe page. The ideas were coming from our threads or the past Cafe discussions and I expected a frame formation to ensue. Now, I see the need for alternative methods.
Step 1: Cafe Proposals - send me your proposals (through Infinite Conversations email, private email (not so private now! - email@example.com), or even call me at 865.661.8280…do what you must to get your idea out onto the page! If you feel confident, post it yourself…see here.
- Ideally, we would have a list of “Proposal Threads” at our disposal, without a set date, posted to Infinite Commons.
Step 2: Setting the Cafe Schedule: When it feels right to discuss the topic via Zoom, we will set the date. If we do not have consensus/a decision, I will take initiative and post as I see fit.
- I am expecting to have all dates filled each month. Again, if others do not come forth with a proposal directly to me or no threads seem to be concretizing, I will select from a list of growing topics (here or from my personal list) and post in advance. I have below one open Cafe and three pre-formed Cafes to start us off.
A temporary calendar (until @madrush unleashes the Cosmos Calendar in the future):
January 1: Open Frame (others have stated they will be traveling, unavailable, or in recovery) - please feel free to take initiative and create your own Cafe. I will begin with my proposed Cafe planning on Jan.8th
January 8: Communication: Reading John Durham Peter’s Introduction from Speaking into the Air - A History of the Idea of Communication
January 15: “The Roots of Psychological Conflict” from The Ending of Time, a series of dialogues between David Bohm and Jiddu Krisnamurti…I would like to tie this into @madrush’s exploration of Cosmic Time:
January 22: Reading "Anger and the Road to Hell" from @Mark_Jabbour’s latest book “Election 2016” (on the short list for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2019!!)
- As proposed above, Cosmos Cafe will be planned, framed and pre-set, pre-dated; there may be gaps which lead to an open frame, but don’t expect a gap.
- If we really wish to continue the conversation after a Cafe, if the topic needs to continue, we can select a date or choose a time, outside of the Cafe frame. Some of us really like to carry the momentum from the conversation. Or we can try to set it up for the next weeks Cafe if a spot is open. If we have prescheduled Cafes, meaning there will typically not be the space for a Cafe to be open the following week, then the momentum would best continue in another space/time. I would love to see more one-on-ones, IC conversations/video responses…we need to understand the reserved space of Cosmos Cafe…and understand the opportunity to continue the conversation.
- @madrush working on making the Zoom process more efficient. Until then, if you wish to continue a conversation or set-up your own conversation, come to me and we will make it happen. Really all it takes is a click on this Zoom link, do your thing, and let me know if you’d like to post it to Infinite Conversations or just have for personal reference.