The Nature of Creativity (and the Creativity of Nature)

@ccafe & @cosmos-members: I’m just putting this idea out there for any of you who might be interested in discussing it with me in a Cosmos Café format.

As you may know, I’m co-hosting a retreat called the “Psychedelic Incubator” in August, which is focused on enhancing one’s creative process through the use of psilocybin mushrooms. However, the retreat is really only one part of a program, which also involves group work, coaching, and guiding the participants to evolve their mindset or develop their practices of creativity in their everyday life.

I’ve been obsessed with the creative process for over 30 years, and there is always more to learn. Recently, I’ve been reading Rick Rubin’s excellent book, The Creative Act, as well as Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi’s Creativity: The Psychology of Discovery and Invention, as part of preparing for the Incubator. I’ve also been thinking about creativity through the lens of current conversations about “AI”—as just a couple of examples, these recent articles:

I am proposing, therefore, on a philosophical level, to explore the overlapping relationships between nature, technology, art, consciousness, and being human—or even posthuman—in constituting that which we call “creativity”; but then also to bring the exploration to a practical level, in terms of how you and I experience creativity or get creative work done in the course of our lives.

My working thesis is that all creativity—including creativity of the artificial kind—is an extension of Nature, and that to understand creativity, as well as to be “more creative” ourselves, we have to understand Nature. (How Romantic of me, right? But we could also question the construction of “Nature” as a philosophical category—and its reconstruction…)

If you would be interested in having this conversation, please reply below. I could get started as soon as this Thursday, 6/20 at 12 pm MDT.

We could use the Cosmos Café Zoom line: Launch Meeting - Zoom

Who would be in?

2 Likes

Hi Marco,

I find this fascinating and would definitely try to tune in to this discussion.
Thursday at noon, mountain time, would probably work well for me.
Thanks so much and my very best,
Marjorie Kaye

3 Likes

I’d be up for it. I’ll pencil it in my calendar.

2 Likes

@sojourner1, @achronon, and @sagrawal13 ~ my apologies. I’ve had an urgent issue just come up and I won’t be able to attend the meeting today. Please feel free to go on without me, or I’d be glad to reschedule, probably in a couple weeks.

1 Like

Quite honestly, today didn’t quite run as expected for me either, so I’d be up for a reschedule.

1 Like

Rescheduling is good with me. Thanks!
Marjorie

1 Like

@achronon, @sojourner1, and @sagrawal13 (and perhaps @tanktopface & @la.rhi.lockhart, if you’d be interested) ~ what do you think about rescheduling this conversation for next Thursday, the 4th of July, at 12 pm MDT)?

3 Likes

I think that could work!
Marjorie

3 Likes

That’d work for me too.

2 Likes

Here is the recording from our talk last week:

Thanks @achronon, @la.rhi.lockhart, and @sagrawal13 for being there. I think it was a pretty good one! Would love to hear any comments folks might have…

3 Likes

dreamstime_s_182038960

the-wound-makes-the-medicine-9781955905435_lg

Some Tending & Sharing with U All
Let There BeTrusting with the Challenges
& Engagement Opening Outward into
The Great Mystery!!!

3 Likes
3 Likes

Thanks, @Michael_Stumpf. I’ve been loving these episodes JF and Phil have been doing on the tarot. Look forward to listening to this latest one.

Hope you’re doing OK. Miss you, brother…

3 Likes
2 Likes

What DOES he have in his pockets??

3 Likes
3 Likes

Just arrived in my cave of the Heart :heart:;
Pennies from above,Star Dust.&
Innocence of Being!

tumblr_mx3npwE4iN1r6hn6xo1_500

3 Likes